IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

2015 Model

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-14, 03:29 PM
dasbuch
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dustondo
I'm still confused as to why anyone makes an even mildly sporting car with a foot operated e brake... What I wouldn't have for a decently placed handbrake in the 3is. Also it'll be interesting to see what lexus finally does to update the 3is engine, hopefully during a mid cycle refresh. Be nice to see it with around 350 or so hp. Other than that I love this thing. A very solid package for the money, which is why it beat out the m235 for me.
They don't want people to be turds and drift it and tear these cars up. The IS series is designed to be a sports sedan for a market that's beyond the "fast and furious" stage maturity-wise, so if they do things that facilitate abuse of the vehicle they're just tarnishing their own brand.
Old 07-06-14, 03:04 AM
FinaLpeace
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dustondo
I'm still confused as to why anyone makes an even mildly sporting car with a foot operated e brake... What I wouldn't have for a decently placed handbrake in the 3is. Also it'll be interesting to see what lexus finally does to update the 3is engine, hopefully during a mid cycle refresh. Be nice to see it with around 350 or so hp. Other than that I love this thing. A very solid package for the money, which is why it beat out the m235 for me.
Originally Posted by dasbuch
They don't want people to be turds and drift it and tear these cars up. The IS series is designed to be a sports sedan for a market that's beyond the "fast and furious" stage maturity-wise, so if they do things that facilitate abuse of the vehicle they're just tarnishing their own brand.
I totally agree that the IS needs more horsepower to bump the 0-60 even closer to 4s.

I have to disagree with drifting and wanting a faster car demonstrate a lower level of maturity etc. There's a series called "shut up and drive" by professional drivers, Justin Bell and Townsend Bell, who in all the series drifted the IS in corners to achieve a faster cornering speed. It's in those corners that they enjoy the fun to drive IS350 F Sport to help Lexus advertise their goal of making the 3rd generation IS. I don't quite understand why some may feel like being able to drive faster and drift concludes to a low level of maturity. The IS markets to target younger buyers......
Sometimes having fun is also taking risk, that's why some people do risky activities such as sky diving and enjoy them.

Last edited by FinaLpeace; 07-06-14 at 03:09 AM.
Old 07-06-14, 06:10 AM
dasbuch
Driver

Originally Posted by FinaLpeace
I totally agree that the IS needs more horsepower to bump the 0-60 even closer to 4s.

I have to disagree with drifting and wanting a faster car demonstrate a lower level of maturity etc. There's a series called "shut up and drive" by professional drivers, Justin Bell and Townsend Bell, who in all the series drifted the IS in corners to achieve a faster cornering speed. It's in those corners that they enjoy the fun to drive IS350 F Sport to help Lexus advertise their goal of making the 3rd generation IS. I don't quite understand why some may feel like being able to drive faster and drift concludes to a low level of maturity. The IS markets to target younger buyers......
Sometimes having fun is also taking risk, that's why some people do risky activities such as sky diving and enjoy them.
Yes but most drivers, after they reach a certain stage in life, realize they should not necessarily try everything they see on TV/movies/youtube etc. My point is not that everyone who wants to drift cars is a bad person, but that the car drifting crowd is not Lexus' target market. Thus, no handbrake.
Old 07-06-14, 06:24 AM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

As for the IS, I think it's simply down to aesthetics and packaging. The center console is narrow as it is. Adding a hand brake would take away from the precious space available and would throw off the overall look of the center console. Plus I don't think Lexus wants us drifting around the boulevard lol.
Old 07-06-14, 06:31 AM
dasbuch
Driver

Originally Posted by yardie876
As for the IS, I think it's simply down to aesthetics and packaging. The center console is narrow as it is. Adding a hand brake would take away from the precious space available and would throw off the overall look of the center console. Plus I don't think Lexus wants us drifting around the boulevard lol.
It does good things for their brand and image when people aren't slinging their cars all over the road and putting hard miles on them. They like return customers and that means putting CPO cars back on the lot when a customer trades up that is in great shape, has not been abused and chopped up. Toyota makes Scions for the demographic that wants to imitate things they've seen in video games.