IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

2015 Model

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-14, 08:19 AM
Rebirthing
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by IS3F
I'm somewhat happy there are no major changes to the 15s...it seems that the only things being added that I'm missing are ventilated seats (nice to have), rear F-sport badging (depending on how this looks, I'm sure it can just be added), dynamic grid lines for the backup camera (not even sure what this means).
The current grid line in the backup camera is static, meaning the lines don't move as you turn your steering wheel. Dynamic grid lines move as you turn your steering wheel so you will know approximately where your car will be when you turn while backing up.

They have this technology in cars in Asia already. My dad has a Prius and a 2014 GS Hybrid, and they both have dynamic grid lines.
Old 06-29-14, 08:22 AM
Dark9t316
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know the 2014 accords have dynamic grid lines
Old 06-29-14, 09:10 AM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Dynamic grid lines have been available on the 4GS since it's debut everywhere except North America. It really makes no sense to me but I guess there's a reason, whatever that may be. Just like the power trunk and mirrors. The USDM gets the features a year late...
Old 06-29-14, 11:28 AM
CTLG
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm somewhat happy there are no major changes to the 15s...it seems that the only things being added that I'm missing are ventilated seats (nice to have), rear F-sport badging (depending on how this looks, I'm sure it can just be added), dynamic grid lines for the backup camera (not even sure what this means).
Where did you read about rear F Sport badging on the 2015? I haven't seen that anywhere.
Old 06-29-14, 11:43 AM
jhs82
Lead Lap

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by yardie876
Dynamic grid lines have been available on the 4GS since it's debut everywhere except North America.
Same with the 3IS. I have dynamic lines in my 300h.
Old 06-29-14, 12:02 PM
RoiteTrom
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Kind of bummed out that Lexus won't give AWD F-Sports the power tilt steering wheel... oh well :/
Old 06-29-14, 01:21 PM
damtachoa
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RoiteTrom
Basically your seat settings will be saved onto the key fob that you carry. For example, If you start the car with your key fob, it'll adjust to your setting. If you start with someone's key (for example, your wife's or your sister's) the seats will adjust to their setting.
I really appreciate for your explanation.
Old 06-29-14, 01:49 PM
Slust
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Xanadu350
I agree that it's a very reliable engine and it's plenty fast/quick for city driving but anyone purchasing a 350 even a bump in HP/torque is an added benefit to prev IS owners to re-purchase the next model.

So would you say that the engine for the IS350 is maxed out, I mean why couldn't they have just kept the same engine (as they have done since 2006) and just bumped the HP/torque a bit more, unless it's not possible for this engine? It just seems strange to me, this car is more of a sporty ride than the other Lexus models with probably a younger audience so why keep the same HP/torque for the past 10 yrs?
Well depending on your point of view its a good thing or a bad thing but ya Lexus has pretty much tuned this engine as well as it is going to get. I think it's great that Lexus knows how to tune engines. That said, my #1 complaint with the 3IS is the lack of a HP and torque upgrade. Put 30-50 more of each in this car and it would dominate.

Disappoint aside, I do think the 350 engine is a bit of a sleeper. Not once (so far) have I lost on the freeway. Granted I'm not racing anyone outside my means like Porsches or anything but I did inadvertently race a C5. Evidently we were both trying to get onto the freeway at the same time. I was in the middle lane trying to gun to beat the guy in the right lane and the C5 was in the left. I heard his engine roar after mine thinking he'd fly by (thought he was going straight) but after I already took my foot off the gas (didn't want to take the onramp any faster than I already was) he passed me and cut me off. I think he was pissed a Lexus beat him because then he brake stalled me taking the onramp at 25mph.

But ya I think that if you test this car on the track or through some canyon runs you will find it hangs quite well. It's weak point is off the line, but street light racing is not my thing ...too many people turning in front of you from merging roads. And the people here are too stupid to turn into the lane that doesn't have someone in it.

Had ventilated seats in my 2IS... completely worthless with jeans on, which is when you want them. If I had shorts on all the time I wouldn't need ventilated seats. I think I used them 5 times and not once was I impressed. Well ok, turning them on when a girl had thin pants or a skirt on was always fun. Not sure I like the rear badging idea, that should be ISF only. I will deem the dynamic grid lines a nice to have as this car is so easy to park. Backed into a spot at a bar with zero lighting going solely off the rear camera and it was spot on. Glad cars with rear view cameras have some sort of light enhancing technology in them because that was one dark parking lot.

After my 5k checkup I did wish this car had memory seats, so if you could tie your seat position to the key fob that it sounds like the 2015 model will have that would be awesome. Than I could just give the dealership my backup key fob whenever I need service done. Gotta echo the disappointment that USB wasn't added as well. Glad Atomic Silver was though, that's a beautiful color.
Old 06-29-14, 03:06 PM
dasbuch
Driver

Originally Posted by Xanadu350
It just seems strange to me, this car is more of a sporty ride than the other Lexus models with probably a younger audience so why keep the same HP/torque for the past 10 yrs?
Because gas mileage is a concern for anyone using these cars as a DD, and there's a point at which an engine becomes optimized to produce a certain balance of both power and fuel economy and it's hard to give more of one without a tradeoff of the other. More HP is not a bonus to many buyers if it comes at the expense of worse gas mileage. A lot of car makers are now reaching for gimmicks like turbochargers that allow them to report impressive MPG figures at with higher HP output, but they don't tell you it must be driven a certain way to achieve that MPG.

Lexus currently has the IS-F and coming soon the RC to meet the needs for those who want more HP and are willing to throw MPG to the wind. The IS audience typically drives this car to work and runs errands in it, so all the "fun to drive" features tend to come with a little more secondary design thinking than they will in something like the RC.

Last edited by dasbuch; 06-29-14 at 03:14 PM.
Old 06-29-14, 03:13 PM
dasbuch
Driver

Originally Posted by jhs82
Same with the 3IS. I have dynamic lines in my 300h.
Seems like Lexus may be launching some features in smaller markets first, maybe so that if issues are found they can be corrected with a less painful recall before hitting a bigger audience?
Old 06-29-14, 04:44 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by CTLG
Where did you read about rear F Sport badging on the 2015? I haven't seen that anywhere.
Originally Posted by Lexus Pressroom

2015 IS 350 | IS 250 Product Information

F SPORT
 Adaptive Variable Suspension (AVS) with SPORT+ driving mode (IS 350 RWD only)
 Aluminum sport pedals
 Black headliner
 F SPORT 10-way driver (includes power lumbar) / eight-way passenger power heated sport seats with contrast stitching
 F SPORT 18-inch staggered width split five-spoke wheels with summer or all-season tires
 F SPORT badging (side and rear)
 F SPORT tuned suspension
 Heated and ventilated seats
 Heated steering wheel (AWD only)
 High-friction brake pads
 Intake sound generator (Standard IS 350)
 LFA inspired TFT instrumentation
 Perforated leather steering wheel with F SPORT logo and shift ****
 Silver performance trim
 Stainless steel scuff plates with Lexus logo
 Twin projector LED Headlamps (low and high beam)
 Unique front fascia and grille (F SPORT package deletes foglamps)

Variable Gear Ratio Steering (Requires IS 350 RWD + F SPORT)
 Power tilt/telescoping steering column
 Variable Gear Ratio Steering (VGRS)

Here's how the new Rear "F Sport Badge" looks...!!!

Joe Z
Old 06-29-14, 07:58 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

^^^ Yep, has to be that since the NX F-Sport has the same emblem.

And no USB in the US still??? I feel for you folks. I'm stumped that our Canadian market, 1/10th the size, gets a larger color variety. This goes against all economics (and common sense) principles I know.

Last edited by corradoMR2; 06-29-14 at 08:08 PM.
Old 06-29-14, 08:30 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Did anyone notice this in the press-release?

A touch-screen display audio system equips the IS models with an eight-inch screen, backup monitor, HD Radio™, Bluetooth® audio, automatic phone book transfer, a vehicle information display and complimentary traffic and weather data provided via HD Radio. The multimedia system also incorporates cache radio which has the ability to pause live radio. It automatically records the previous 15 minutes for convenient replay.
Current screen is 7 inches. I suspect 8 inches is a typo, otherwise it would have been listed in the new 2015 features list.
Old 06-29-14, 09:56 PM
SonyHome
Lexus Test Driver

Is it possible to retrofit the ventilated seats in to 2014 for reasonable cost?
Old 06-29-14, 09:58 PM
SonyHome
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Did anyone notice this in the press-release?

Current screen is 7 inches. I suspect 8 inches is a typo, otherwise it would have been listed in the new 2015 features list.
They are probably counting the black edges on the side as screen size.

Quick Reply: 2015 Model