Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 152 Likes on 90 Posts

"Ultra White Metallic?" Typo?
Old 06-27-14, 05:00 PM
dasbuch
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Turbo? No thanks - I don't want one in a daily driver. I know modern ones have gotten better, but they add complexity to an engine and more heat. One of the reasons I like the current V6s is they've got the bugs worked out of them (remember carbon build up in the first few years of the 2.5 in the 2IS, etc).

I would want to give a new turbo engine 4-5 years to prove itself before I would really trust it. And even then I would still prefer the smooth, quiet, linear power curve of a V6.

If you look at the IS competitors like the BMW 320i you notice a few things: real world fuel economy noted by reviewers and power of the 4-banger turbo is about same as the 2.5 liter in the 250, but there's more engine noise and vibration. blech.
Old 06-27-14, 05:04 PM
Daceptak0n
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Im2bz2p345
+1. Cannot believe that wasn't added into the changes for 2015. I thought memory seats would have been a given.

So Lexus still expect people to pay nearly $50K for a car that does not include something basic like memory seats, which cars 1/2 the cost of it have standard!

If anything, why not give the buyer the OPTION to add memory seats? Not harm, no foul there but Lexus obviously don't care about it.

Heck, I personally would have taken memory seats over ventilation seats (and this is coming from someone who lives in the blistering Texas heat)!

~ Im2z2p345
Apparently Infiniti has gotten rid of this memory seat unless it's bought with a 3K pkg. Why? Okay, so here's the reasoning and from several Lexus/Infiniti execs but here's one of them quoted:

"You must be one of the few people adamant about it because we have had complaints that it was useless to have it there. It's paired with your key so everything will adjust as long as you take your key. I wouldn't harp on it as much as you've done, it will be an obsolete feature in the next 2-3 years, watch. Then you'll be complaining why did we include it there and it looks so tacky and outdated, etc."
Old 06-27-14, 05:48 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by dasbuch
I don't believe they could, the openings on the F sport are designed for brake ventilation.
See here:

Official: USDM 2014 IS350 F-Sport w/JDM LED Fog Lamps Installed, Pics & Video Inside

~ Joe Z
Old 06-27-14, 06:15 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by Im2bz2p345
So Lexus still expect people to pay nearly $50K for a car that does not include something basic like memory seats, which cars 1/2 the cost of it have standard!
Why would people suddenly stop buying it now? The 2014 saw some major sales volumes, so they do indeed expect that people will continue to purchase a 50k car where memory seats are not available with all packages.
Old 06-27-14, 06:30 PM
dasbuch
Driver

I think you might have misunderstood what I meant. I do understand a modder can put fog lights there if they want, but the front lip of the F-Sport is supposedly designed that way to increase airflow to the brakes, so I don't think Lexus would be able to simply cram lights in the slots without changing some other design aspect of the car to cool the brakes. Whether or not modders who install their won will suffer issues with brakes from impeding ventilation will probably depend on how they drive their cars, and other factors.
Old 06-27-14, 06:32 PM
MGB1120
Pole Position

I think you might have misunderstood what I meant. I do understand a modder can put fog lights there if they want, but the front lip of the F-Sport is supposedly designed that way to increase airflow to the brakes, so I don't think Lexus would be able to simply cram lights in the slots without changing some other design aspect of the car to cool the brakes. Whether or not modders who install their won will suffer issues with brakes from impeding ventilation will probably depend on how they drive their cars, and other factors.
Also says in article wheel base was increased 3 inches for more aggressive styling and a more enhanced grill

Last edited by MGB1120; 06-27-14 at 06:36 PM.
Old 06-27-14, 06:33 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Those are JDM, not just mods. F Sports in other regions (not North America) come with the fog lights.
Old 06-27-14, 06:37 PM
dasbuch
Driver

Originally Posted by JDR76
Those are JDM, not just mods. F Sports in other regions (not North America) come with the fog lights.
Are they warm climate regions and if so are there other changes to the vehicle in those regions like different rotors? I don't recall the source but I'm pretty sure I read about the openings for brake ventilation in official Lexus literature.

Last edited by dasbuch; 06-27-14 at 06:42 PM.
Old 06-27-14, 06:38 PM
dasbuch
Driver

Originally Posted by MGB1120
Also says in article wheel base was increased 3 inches for more aggressive styling and a more enhanced grill
It meant 3 inches from the 2IS. The new 2015 changes at the beginning of a list of changes from the 2IS.
Old 06-27-14, 06:43 PM
MGB1120
Pole Position

It meant 3 inches from the 2IS. The new 2015 changes at the beginning of a list of changes from the 2IS.
Oh my bad! So what essentially are you getting better with a 2015? These options?

LED fog lamps
Siri Eyes Free technology from Apple; compatible with iPhone 4S and iPhone 5 models
Heated/ventilated front seats added to F SPORT (F SPORT AWD also gets heated steering wheel)
Revised interior trim, including piano black on window switches and instrument panel
New Stratus Gray interior replaces Light Gray
Backup monitor adds dynamic grid lines to aid parking maneuvers
Available Lexus Enform Remote
Old 06-27-14, 06:48 PM
dasbuch
Driver

Oh my bad! So what essentially are you getting better with a 2015? These options?

LED fog lamps
Siri Eyes Free technology from Apple; compatible with iPhone 4S and iPhone 5 models
Heated/ventilated front seats added to F SPORT (F SPORT AWD also gets heated steering wheel)
Revised interior trim, including piano black on window switches and instrument panel
New Stratus Gray interior replaces Light Gray
Backup monitor adds dynamic grid lines to aid parking maneuvers
Available Lexus Enform Remote
Yes, that's the list of new features for 2015.
Old 06-27-14, 06:52 PM
MGB1120
Pole Position

Yes, that's the list of new features for 2015.
Doesn't seem much of an update, if you can get a 2014 at a better price would be a good deal
Old 06-27-14, 06:59 PM
dasbuch
Driver

Doesn't seem much of an update, if you can get a 2014 at a better price would be a good deal
There are usually not too many changes between year one and two of a new model. That's why I'm surprised at the link earlier in the thread that claims confirmation of the turbo IS model this year. I'm not saying it won't happen mid-year but it sure seems like an important omission from an official "what's new" list.

As I said though, I wouldn't take a turbo if they took 4 grand off the price as incentive.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2015 Model