IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

2015 Model

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-14, 06:36 PM
Rebirthing
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by tsopranoMB
I sure hope so, otherwise I will likely get an RC350 F-sport, which should be available in USB!
I'm pretty sure RC-F would definitely have USB, it's their signature "SPORT" color!

I hope we can find out soon if the new IS will be available in USB soon!! ohhhh... the anticipation is killing me~ lol
Old 02-13-14, 07:44 PM
SonyHome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tsopranoMB
I guess it remains to be seen for sure...

quote from TMC source:
the'15 MY IS will launch with Enform Remote that has features (including start) this August. It will not be available as a retrofit for older vehicles. RES+ was not developed since the IS would have had a short product life cycle since the Enform product was in development.
So that means Lexus is willfully neglecting customers who purchased 2014 IS with Nav and want remote start! Very disappointed...
Old 02-13-14, 09:32 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
they do "look" the same, I don't know the differences, I'll see if I can find the thread I read that from
Let me share from a non-US perspective.

In Singapore, all F-Sport seats in the IS are leather not Nuluxe so that may explain why seat ventilation is possible. The same may apply for the UK/Europe??.
Old 02-13-14, 09:53 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by natnut
Let me share from a non-US perspective.

In Singapore, all F-Sport seats in the IS are leather not Nuluxe so that may explain why seat ventilation is possible. The same may apply for the UK/Europe??.
If it does explain it, I would like to try to understand why. In the US, since the non F Sport seats are available in both leather and NuLuxe, and both offer ventilation, I have a really hard time understanding why the seat covering makes a difference. The engineer in me wants to know.

My theory is that it is just about limiting available options and configurations for cost control. In much the same way that an F Sport can have a heated steering wheel in Canada, but not in the US. It isn't because the US steering wheel is different in a way that it cannot accommodate the heating elements, it's just different option packages here versus there.

Which is why I think, given enough feedback that the option is desired, Lexus could provide it as a US option in the future. I could be wrong, but haven't seen anything to contradict that belief just yet.
Old 02-14-14, 04:53 AM
steig
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

The ventilated seats are really not that big of deal, unless they are cooled also. I have the ventilated seats in my 2013 ES, they do not move much air. There are threads on the ES forums about this. Had car in to dealer for maintenance and had the ventilated seats checked out, since they don't appear to do very much, Lexus stated that seats were working as normal. Maybe IS ventilated seats work better ?
Old 02-14-14, 05:34 AM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
If it does explain it, I would like to try to understand why. In the US, since the non F Sport seats are available in both leather and NuLuxe, and both offer ventilation, I have a really hard time understanding why the seat covering makes a difference. The engineer in me wants to know.

My theory is that it is just about limiting available options and configurations for cost control. In much the same way that an F Sport can have a heated steering wheel in Canada, but not in the US. It isn't because the US steering wheel is different in a way that it cannot accommodate the heating elements, it's just different option packages here versus there.

Which is why I think, given enough feedback that the option is desired, Lexus could provide it as a US option in the future. I could be wrong, but haven't seen anything to contradict that belief just yet.
Since you're an engineer -- why don't you do the research -- you have access to Google just like I do -- and come back and tell us? The article I linked to and others seem to state that the way the Fsport seat uses a newly developed process where the bonding process would prohibit the coils or that the coils would interfere with comfort. But what do I know? I'm not an engineer. I look forward to reading what you discover and can explain for us.
Old 02-14-14, 06:46 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Glashub
Since you're an engineer -- why don't you do the research -- you have access to Google just like I do -- and come back and tell us?
I did do the research, and can find no reason why the US spec seats could not be ventilated. There doesn't seem to be any information out there on the web that states it cannot be done. The only place I can find that assertion is here on Club Lexus. The lack of firm evidence leads me to believe that it can be offered. Is Club Lexus not supposed to be a two way forum where we can ask questions and offer answers? Since the only place I can find statements about it not being possible is here on Club Lexus, I don't understand why it seems to irritate you that I would question that.

Originally Posted by Glashub
The article I linked to and others seem to state that the way the Fsport seat uses a newly developed process where the bonding process would prohibit the coils or that the coils would interfere with comfort. But what do I know? I'm not an engineer. I look forward to reading what you discover and can explain for us.
Correct. It's a new process. That same process is used on the ventilated F Sport seats sold elsewhere.
Old 02-14-14, 07:34 AM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Tubes have to run through a seat for cooling. On my Genesis the tubes crushed after about a year. Beyond what I offer below -- I suggest you ask your question on the Lexus FB page or PM them.

"a thinner front seat design generates an 85mm increase in knee room for the new, 60:40 split/folding seats....A Lexus first, an exclusive, highly supportive sports seat design uses an “integrated foaming” construction method, allowing injection moulding of large concave surfaces while ensuring that there are no gaps between the seat upholstery and the foam padding to combine excellent comfort with outstanding lateral holding performance."

http://www.imperiallexus.co.za/news/...50_has_arrived
Old 02-14-14, 01:01 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

^^ I say just MAKE IT THE SAME everywhere....

Cooled Seats, LED Fog Lamps, etc etc etc..... We BUY these cars for a reasonz..!!!

Give it to us ALL... This regional / country BS has to stop already..
(It is all about cost & pricing folks)

BTW, from what I hear USB, will make a return to the 2015 IS250 / IS350 F-Sport

~ Joe Z
Old 02-14-14, 02:34 PM
Im2bz2p345
Instructor

Received 207 Likes on 142 Posts

I could care less about "ventilated" seats unless they are truly cooled as mentioned by steig.

What I would like to see is at the minimum memory seats included in the 2015 F-sport model. How does a car costing nearly $50K not have that as standard OR even any option??

Cars that are nearly half the price include memory seats. That was a silly move on Lexus' part.

I would also love to see a new (more efficient) engine introduced, but I already know that won't happen otherwise we would have heard about it already.

Memory seats in the F-Sport, go go go Lexus!

~ Im2bz2p345
Old 02-14-14, 05:24 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Im2bz2p345
I could care less about "ventilated" seats unless they are truly cooled as mentioned by steig.

What I would like to see is at the minimum memory seats included in the 2015 F-sport model. How does a car costing nearly $50K not have that as standard OR even any option??

Cars that are nearly half the price include memory seats. That was a silly move on Lexus' part.

I would also love to see a new (more efficient) engine introduced, but I already know that won't happen otherwise we would have heard about it already.

Memory seats in the F-Sport, go go go Lexus!

~ Im2bz2p345
I suppose it's personal preference. I have them in both my RX and my IS and would not ever own a car again without them, but understand if it's not a thing for you.

As for memory seats, I tend to agree with what you've said. My parents' RAV4 was something like $32k and it has them. However, it's not such a big deal since my wife doesn't drive the IS much, but we do have memory seats in the RX, which is good because we alternate drivers in that.
Old 02-15-14, 06:53 AM
wednesday
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I think the addition of memory seats to the '15 model F Sport would help my chances of convincing the husband to get a '15 over a '14, they really need to include them. I would also love cooled seats, I miss having them.
Old 02-15-14, 07:32 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 288 Likes on 209 Posts

^^^ Hopefully if the cooling does make it, it better be better than the RX and ES since they're weak. If the effectiveness of the existing seat warmers are any indication, the cooling will be weak...
Old 02-15-14, 07:36 AM
STRAN
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

USB is much needed in 2015, can't wait to see the first batch to see if there is any updates.
Old 02-15-14, 08:22 AM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Would I prefer cooled seats at the expense of a cheaper fuel pump or cheaper welds? No! The Lexus IS no matter how you slice it and dice it is goodness through and through. The German business model is to make the car look as appealing as possible -- everything nice to the eye and touch but to use inferior glues and parts. Oh, so you can order a 65K BMW 3 Series with everything you want? It costs money to have the factories prepared for that and to have those faculties under utilized. How do they cover that cost so that they can still deliver for the shareholders? Well, they sell a lot of cars. What's part of the reason they sell or lease a lot of cars? They don't last beyond 5 years. Classic burn and churn operation. A person buys a Lexus and they can keep it 10 years maybe. Lexus knows this. They can't make up the cost of making a car that is good through and through with volume -- the cars last too long. They can't cut costs anywhere because their key competitive advantage is reliability. So they don't include certain things in order to meet a price point and so they can stay in business by making money. I like knowing that every nut and bolt on my car is of the highest quality for the price. I don't want flash that breaks down in 5 years. I think Lexus is far more of an honest car manufacturer than some of the others.

Last edited by Glashub; 02-15-14 at 08:46 AM.

Quick Reply: 2015 Model