IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

2015 Model

Old 02-13-14, 10:21 AM
cFoo
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SonyHome
Will 2015 have cooled seats and memory features on the F Sport?
I would like to know this as well. It's the two things that are holding me back from getting into an IS.
Old 02-13-14, 11:04 AM
SonyHome
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by oghowie
I just picked my car up this Saturday and my rep told me that it would work with my FSport with NAV. He stated the ETA was sometime in the Fall. I don't believe they really "know" anything concrete though.
That is my sales rep stated also but if somehow Lexus decides to not make this available for 2014 I would be very disappointed.
Old 02-13-14, 11:16 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Are you saying remote start will NOT be available for 2014 with NAV? This is so not what my sales rep told me....

10 Char
Old 02-13-14, 11:19 AM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Doubt the 2015 will have cooled seats since as I understand it the manufacturing process for foam injection prohibits it. Memory? Why not? Except for cost focus reallocated elsewhere i.e. money put in other things while keeping it under 50K.
Old 02-13-14, 11:37 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,602 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Originally Posted by Glashub
Doubt the 2015 will have cooled seats since as I understand it the manufacturing process for foam injection prohibits it. Memory? Why not? Except for cost focus reallocated elsewhere i.e. money put in other things while keeping it under 50K.
I believe it's not about the foam injection process, but just rather limiting the options available to control the cost. According to the Lexus UK site, you can get an IS F Sport over there with the foam injected seats, in leather (even red leather!), with heat and ventilation.
Old 02-13-14, 11:56 AM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

But these are not leather -- maybe therein lies the problem. These are a result of a new process. This is why I use the term cost focus shift rather than cost cutting --

"The seat is created utilizing the “Foam In Place Method” where urethane is directly injected into seat covers that have been placed inside metal molds and then the foam sets to the intended shape. Compared to conventional methods of attaching seat covers to pre-formed foam, the Foam In Place Method creates shapes that are ideal for ensuring a comfortable ride and achieves high-quality design."

http://www.toyota-boshoku.com/us/news/130523e.html
Old 02-13-14, 12:10 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

But these are not leather -- maybe therein lies the problem. These are a result of a new process. This is why I use the term cost focus shift rather than cost cutting --

"The seat is created utilizing the “Foam In Place Method” where urethane is directly injected into seat covers that have been placed inside metal molds and then the foam sets to the intended shape. Compared to conventional methods of attaching seat covers to pre-formed foam, the Foam In Place Method creates shapes that are ideal for ensuring a comfortable ride and achieves high-quality design."

http://www.toyota-boshoku.com/us/news/130523e.html
Maybe I'm misreading your point, but the UK seats also utilize the foam injection process, and have ventilation, so I'm not connecting the dots here as to why the process would prevent ventilation on US spec seats. From the UK site:

An exclusive new F SPORT seat design makes the first use of 'integrated foaming' technology in a Lexus. This motorsport-inspired production technology allows a more detailed seat profile, and better fit and hold than is possible with conventional upholstery methods.

Then on the "build your IS" section, you can select F Sport, then an "interior comfort and convenience package" which includes heated and ventilated seats.
Old 02-13-14, 12:23 PM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

I don't think it's possible for Nuluxe.
Old 02-13-14, 12:25 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

I don't think it's possible for Nuluxe.
Why not? You can get the regular seats (non F Sport) in NuLuxe with ventilation.

I still think there is hope that Lexus will bring ventilation to the US spec F Sports.
Old 02-13-14, 12:26 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by JDR76
I believe it's not about the foam injection process, but just rather limiting the options available to control the cost. According to the Lexus UK site, you can get an IS F Sport over there with the foam injected seats, in leather (even red leather!), with heat and ventilation.
Those leather seats in the Euro F-Sport aren't like the ones in say a US Spec IS F-Sport with NuLuxe though. It's a different seat all together. Different lines, bolsters, seat articulation etc, so they will feel different.

As to the process, a guess here, but it's probably the aggressiveness of the US F-Sport NuLuxe seat vs non F-Sport NuLuxe seat that doesn't allow for ventilation considering you can get it on the non F-Sport NuLuxe.

Considering Lexus's are built region specific it's understandable that our US Spec ones lack certain features. The problem however is because those features and options do exist and are available elsewhere, they need to be available via special order. If I want to build a $55,000 IS350 F-Sport I should be able too so long as I'm willing to pay for it. The privelage of buying from a Luxury make is that you can customize for better individualization, something BMW and Porsche do very well and Lexus currently does not. It's not that Lexus doesn't have options, it's the lack of available options
Old 02-13-14, 12:28 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Those leather seats in the Euro F-Sport aren't like the ones in say a US Spec IS F-Sport with NuLuxe though. It's a different seat all together. Different lines, bolsters, seat articulation etc, so they will feel different.
Interesting. I didn't know that. Do you know how they differ? They look the same:
Attached Thumbnails 2015 Model-fsport_seats_tcm880-1218523.jpg  
Old 02-13-14, 01:03 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by JDR76
Interesting. I didn't know that. Do you know how they differ? They look the same:
they do "look" the same, I don't know the differences, I'll see if I can find the thread I read that from
Old 02-13-14, 01:08 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
they do "look" the same, I don't know the differences, I'll see if I can find the thread I read that from
I love this site and the wealth of information available. Thanks for looking into this, Hoovey2411. I'm still hopeful that they'll add ventilation, at some point, to the F Sport, even if that means changing to the UK spec seats (but hopefully without the leather, I really like NuLuxe).

As for other 2015 changes, I would expect nothing more than perhaps an Enform update and some reshuffling of options and packages, but not any real design changes. Time will tell.
Old 02-13-14, 02:55 PM
tsopranoMB
Lexus Test Driver

Are you saying remote start will NOT be available for 2014 with NAV? This is so not what my sales rep told me....

I guess it remains to be seen for sure...

quote from TMC source:

the'15 MY IS will launch with Enform Remote that has features (including start) this August. It will not be available as a retrofit for older vehicles. RES+ was not developed since the IS would have had a short product life cycle since the Enform product was in development.
Old 02-13-14, 02:57 PM
tsopranoMB
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
On behalf of Wednesday and many others in the US - to the OP million-dollar question. Will USB be available in the US???
I sure hope so, otherwise I will likely get an RC350 F-sport, which should be available in USB!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2015 Model