IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

2015 Model

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-14, 08:37 AM
eyeball
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Glashub
Would I prefer cooled seats at the expense of a cheaper fuel pump or cheaper welds? No! The Lexus IS no matter how you slice it and dice it is goodness through and through. The German model is to make the car look as appealing as possible -- everything nice to the eye and touch but to use inferior glues and parts. Oh, so you can order a 65K 3IS with everything you want? It costs money to have the factories prepared for that and to have those faculties under utilized. How do they cover that cost so that they can still deliver for the shareholders? Well, they sell a lot of cars. What's part of the reason they sell or lease a lot of cars? They don't last beyond 5 years. Classic burn and churn operation. A person buys a Lexus and they can keep it 10 years maybe. Lexus knows this. They can't make up the cost of making a car that is good through and through with volume -- the cars last too long. They can't cut costs anywhere because their key competitive advantage is reliability. So they don't include certain things in order to meet a price point and so they can stay in business by making money. I like knowing that every nut and bolt on my car is of the highest quality for the price. I don't want flash that breaks down in 5 years. I think Lexus is far more of an honest car manufacturer than some of the others.
^^^^ wish there were a "Like" button available!
Old 02-15-14, 08:48 AM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks eyeball. BTW - I meant to type -- "Oh, so you can order a 65K BMW 3 Series with everything you want?" But for some reason I wrote 65K 3IS. Glad you saw what I meant.
Old 02-15-14, 09:33 AM
wednesday
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Would I prefer cooled seats at the expense of a cheaper fuel pump or cheaper welds? No! The Lexus IS no matter how you slice it and dice it is goodness through and through. The German business model is to make the car look as appealing as possible -- everything nice to the eye and touch but to use inferior glues and parts. Oh, so you can order a 65K BMW 3 Series with everything you want? It costs money to have the factories prepared for that and to have those faculties under utilized. How do they cover that cost so that they can still deliver for the shareholders? Well, they sell a lot of cars. What's part of the reason they sell or lease a lot of cars? They don't last beyond 5 years. Classic burn and churn operation. A person buys a Lexus and they can keep it 10 years maybe. Lexus knows this. They can't make up the cost of making a car that is good through and through with volume -- the cars last too long. They can't cut costs anywhere because their key competitive advantage is reliability. So they don't include certain things in order to meet a price point and so they can stay in business by making money. I like knowing that every nut and bolt on my car is of the highest quality for the price. I don't want flash that breaks down in 5 years. I think Lexus is far more of an honest car manufacturer than some of the others.
But these things could be made part of an option package on the F Sport like they are on the standard models, I can't see where it would be a big deal like the custom order German cars you mention.
Old 02-15-14, 09:37 AM
Beire
Driver School Candidate

Hey guys,

I'm from belgium and just ordered a 2014 IS 300h F Sport.

I drove it a week ago as a test drive.
Here we have the f sport with ventilated seats. And i also seem to have picked up that you guys don't have parking sensors in the F Sport.
But seemingly we do....

Strange to see such difference.
Old 02-15-14, 09:55 AM
Cliffj
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No intent to flame, just a data point. (sorry ... this got long)

I am currently on my 6th BMW 3 series. Most purchased used with low mileage. 1989 325is, 1992 325is, 2001 325is, 2006 330i, 2008 335i and 2011 335d. Sold the 89' with 98K miles. Replaced one window regulator. 1992 sold to a friend with 115K, replaced window regulator and it suffered from the dreaded "bubbling" interior door panels (only two). This was from bad glue and was a common problem with the 92 year model. 2001 325is was t-boned and totaled with 198k miles and only replaced a window regulator and MAF (my fault due to over oiling a K&N air filter). Every airbag deployed. My son & his GF walked away with minor bruises. Even though the drivers door was crushed. The only new BMW I purchased was the ordered 2008 335i w/ 6M. I drove that one 85K miles. Only had to replace a Sirus/XM box due to a random issue the dealer was able to repeat. No other issues, and only traded because I became enamored with the 335d and found a dealer demo, loaded w/ M-sport package w/ low miles. I now have 75K mi on the d' and only had to replace the i-drive screen, under warranty. I fully except this 335d to go a LONG way trouble free, but only time will tell. My son is trying to talk me into giving it to him already.
BTW, my son drives the 330i. Purchased with 21K mi, sport package, 6M. Has approx. 110K now, on the original clutch and just replaced the brakes for the first time at 97K. He has short commutes to college with a lot of stop & go. NO issues out of the 330i.

All that to say, for the 20 years I have owned 3 series BMW's, all w/ sport package. All w/manual except the 335d (not available). NONE have ever left me stranded. None have EVER failed to get me from point A to B. I have had no major, expensive failures. The 335i was on the original clutch and brakes when I traded. The 335d is on original brakes.

I do believe in the "old school" maintenance, on all my cars. 7500 mi oil changes, and routine fluid & filter changes. There are NO LIFETIME fill fluids in my opinion. With that said, my miles are about 60-70% highway, which these cars love. BMW's have been extremely reliable for me, and I don't believe I was just luckily. If you accomplish routine maintenance, they will last a long time if your not abusing them. Never bought any extended warranties, and would have never used them. Would have been a total waste of money.

All that to say, with 20+ years of BMW ownership, I might look for something else for my next vehicle. I really am not excited about the new F30 3 series, and I have my eye on the IS350 F Sport. That is why I am lurking this board, to research pro's & con's. I have yet to drive an IS350, but will probably at least wait until the 2015 model is available.

Cheers
Old 02-15-14, 12:06 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Beire
Hey guys,

Here we have the f sport with ventilated seats. And i also seem to have picked up that you guys don't have parking sensors in the F Sport.
But seemingly we do....

Welcome and Congrats..!!!

In Belgium... LED Fog lamps are included on FSport.. Correct ??

~ Joe Z
Old 02-15-14, 12:44 PM
leoben
Rookie

Originally Posted by Beire
Hey guys,

But seemingly we do....

In Italy, test drive cars are always full optional (leather pack, nav and ML sound system).
Ventilated seats are included in leather pack, so you have to pay for them.
Are you sure that in Belgium that seats are in stock?
For the parking sensors, here it's not possible to have them in F Sport. You can only have the nav pack with the reverse camera. Or buy them by aftermarket (like I did!)
Old 02-15-14, 02:25 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by Cliffj
All that to say, for the 20 years I have owned 3 series BMW's, all w/ sport package. All w/manual except the 335d (not available). NONE have ever left me stranded. None have EVER failed to get me from point A to B. I have had no major, expensive failures. The 335i was on the original clutch and brakes when I traded. The 335d is on original brakes.

All that to say, with 20+ years of BMW ownership, I might look for something else for my next vehicle. I really am not excited about the new F30 3 series, and I have my eye on the IS350 F Sport. That is why I am lurking this board, to research pro's & con's. I have yet to drive an IS350, but will probably at least wait until the 2015 model is available.

Cheers
Good on you that you had excellent reliability with BMW over the years. You can count on an even better experience with Lexus if you so choose. Good luck on your decision and as many conquest buyers have said, once they test drove the 350 (in particular the F-Sport), there was no turning back.
Old 02-15-14, 04:26 PM
cFoo
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think Lexus is far more of an honest car manufacturer than some of the others.
You've got to be kidding me. Stripping down a car to artificially lowered the price for certain market is honest? This is 2014, you can't hide information from other markets.

Stop living under a rock and see what Lexus is offering elsewhere. They're disturbingly ripping Americans off by taking away things and putting it back in later years.
Old 02-15-14, 06:54 PM
QuentinB
Driver

Will there be a 2.0T for '15? The 250 isn't enough and the 350 is a little more than I want to spend. 200T would be just right... and it would be the perfect engine for the return of the 6MT. I love everything else about the new IS. They just need a midrange engine.
Old 02-15-14, 10:15 PM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cFoo
You've got to be kidding me. Stripping down a car to artificially lowered the price for certain market is honest? This is 2014, you can't hide information from other markets.

Stop living under a rock and see what Lexus is offering elsewhere. They're disturbingly ripping Americans off by taking away things and putting it back in later years.
Canadians should never post comments about Americans that imply we're stupid. I don't care what they offer elsewhere. I live here. They sell houses with saunas in Topeka. KS for 399K but that doesn't mean a homeowner should sell the same house for the same price on the beach in Santa Monica, CA. You need to get out from under the rock. You need to read my post, reflect on it, and then do some basic research into economics & behavioral analysis rather than ripping me and Americans. You also need to research the business model of the German auto manufacturers rather than posting out of the side of your neck.

Oh yes, the dumb Americans are buying the 3IS like crazy while you stand on the sidelines yelling about how stupid we are and how we've been ripped off.

Last edited by Glashub; 02-15-14 at 10:19 PM.
Old 02-16-14, 02:03 AM
salvadorik
Lead Lap

Canadians should never post comments about Americans that imply we're stupid. I don't care what they offer elsewhere. I live here. They sell houses with saunas in Topeka. KS for 399K but that doesn't mean a homeowner should sell the same house for the same price on the beach in Santa Monica, CA. You need to get out from under the rock. You need to read my post, reflect on it, and then do some basic research into economics & behavioral analysis rather than ripping me and Americans. You also need to research the business model of the German auto manufacturers rather than posting out of the side of your neck.

Oh yes, the dumb Americans are buying the 3IS like crazy while you stand on the sidelines yelling about how stupid we are and how we've been ripped off.
Come on Glashub! It is not my business to poke my nose into your arguments but I think you are overreacting. There was no implication in his comment that Americans are stupid in whatever context you took it. CA and US are both americans, regardless. For Lexus we are North America and to stay competitive in this continent Toyota needs to price the vehicles properly.

I personally don't find it overwhelmingly bad that we don't have small little things (others of course may disagree) such as fog lights in F-Sport trim or ventilated/memory seats etc. Overall 3IS in america is priced very competitively compared to other countries and I am very glad that I bought my 3IS 350 F Sport for $43K pretty much fully loaded. My only gripe is that Lexus is still using these two ancient engines. IS 350's engine is not that powerful but gets pretty bad mpg (in my case around 19mpg average with 50hwy/50city driving). In this segment it is not good at all. BMW 335i with its a lot more powerful engine gets 22 city and 32 hwy mpg. I am not even gonna talk about IS 250, which I personally don't understand what is the benefit compared to 350 (other than a little cheaper price but a lot slower). Lexus needs to step up and come up with a good forced induction engine.

Other than that I would give 3IS 350 a good 8 out of 10. Very good value for the money.
Old 02-16-14, 02:26 AM
Beire
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by leoben

In Italy, test drive cars are always full optional (leather pack, nav and ML sound system).
Ventilated seats are included in leather pack, so you have to pay for them.
Are you sure that in Belgium that seats are in stock?
For the parking sensors, here it's not possible to have them in F Sport. You can only have the nav pack with the reverse camera. Or buy them by aftermarket (like I did!)
Yes i have the leather package, but i read somewhere some guys have the leather seats without the ventilation in the sport.

I didn't really look into the sensors on the test drive but in the folder here it says that the basic version can have them in the comfort package together with cruise control.
The sport normally has that package stock.

Anyway, I'd take a v6 version over the hybrid any day but we only get the hybrid in Belgium.
Also this will be the car for my company. Our government makes this is cheaper for me over 5 years than a regular avensis. Go figure... All about co2

BTW what's the difference between nuluxe and leather?
Old 02-23-14, 10:42 AM
Bearcat
Lead Lap

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Does anyone actually think that Lexus will give us ability for more options on the F Sport in 2015???
Old 02-23-14, 11:06 AM
keyframe13
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by salvadorik

I personally don't find it overwhelmingly bad that we don't have small little things (others of course may disagree) such as fog lights in F-Sport trim or ventilated/memory seats etc. Overall 3IS in america is priced very competitively compared to other countries and I am very glad that I bought my 3IS 350 F Sport for $43K pretty much fully loaded. My only gripe is that Lexus is still using these two ancient engines. IS 350's engine is not that powerful but gets pretty bad mpg (in my case around 19mpg average with 50hwy/50city driving). In this segment it is not good at all. BMW 335i with its a lot more powerful engine gets 22 city and 32 hwy mpg. I am not even gonna talk about IS 250, which I personally don't understand what is the benefit compared to 350 (other than a little cheaper price but a lot slower). Lexus needs to step up and come up with a good forced induction engine.

Other than that I would give 3IS 350 a good 8 out of 10. Very good value for the money.
I'm so with you on that. I have the 2IS and didn;t see any desire to "upgrade" to the 3is due to the same crappy engine, no poweful but bad gas mileage. It would cost me 15k at least and I really don;t see any upgrade to justify that price. If they had a new engine would be another story.
Really looking to switch to BMW at least I know i'll keep it under warranty and enjoy the gas mileage and power rather that be stuck with a gas guzzler reliable engine.

Quick Reply: 2015 Model