IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Does your stock IS audio system sound very bass heavy?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-14, 05:50 PM
avex
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Does your stock IS audio system sound very bass heavy?

Just starting a separate thread for this. I'm trying to figure out if there's something wrong with my audio system, or if all the IS systems sound like this.

I took delivery of a 2014 IS350 RWD last week. Mine has no navigation system, so it has the "Lexus Display Audio System." I almost immediately noticed that the bass (or more specifically the mid-bass) sounded excessively boosted. At first, I thought for sure that someone at the dealership had turned the bass tone control all the way up. It took me a long time just to find the tone controls in the audio system (the design of this system is a mess IMO), but when I finally found them, I was shocked to find that all of the controls were centered at zero!

I immediately turned off the DSP settings (surround and ASL) to make sure those weren't causing the problem.

When you listen to pop or rock music, all you hear is the bassline or bass drums. The bass line is actually louder than the lead vocals! It's an absolute mess. My guess is that the boost is centered around 200Hz. Adjusting the "bass" setting in the tone conrols does help a bit. If I turn the bass almost all the way down, the system becomes barely tolerable. If I turn the bass down one more notch (as far down as it will go), the sound becomes very thin. The problem, of course, is that the bass tone control affects a wide range of bass frequencies, and not just the problem area centered around 200Hz.

So the bottom line is I can't do anything to fix it. I'm going to make an appointment at the service department next week too see if there's something wrong with the system, but I'm afriad they're just going to blow me off and say "that's just the way it is." Is anyone experiencing this, or is it just my car???
Old 02-07-14, 07:14 PM
kokonutz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by avex
Just starting a separate thread for this. I'm trying to figure out if there's something wrong with my audio system, or if all the IS systems sound like this.

I took delivery of a 2014 IS350 RWD last week. Mine has no navigation system, so it has the "Lexus Display Audio System." I almost immediately noticed that the bass (or more specifically the mid-bass) sounded excessively boosted. At first, I thought for sure that someone at the dealership had turned the bass tone control all the way up. It took me a long time just to find the tone controls in the audio system (the design of this system is a mess IMO), but when I finally found them, I was shocked to find that all of the controls were centered at zero!

I immediately turned off the DSP settings (surround and ASL) to make sure those weren't causing the problem.

When you listen to pop or rock music, all you hear is the bassline or bass drums. The bass line is actually louder than the lead vocals! It's an absolute mess. My guess is that the boost is centered around 200Hz. Adjusting the "bass" setting in the tone conrols does help a bit. If I turn the bass almost all the way down, the system becomes barely tolerable. If I turn the bass down one more notch (as far down as it will go), the sound becomes very thin. The problem, of course, is that the bass tone control affects a wide range of bass frequencies, and not just the problem area centered around 200Hz.

So the bottom line is I can't do anything to fix it. I'm going to make an appointment at the service department next week too see if there's something wrong with the system, but I'm afriad they're just going to blow me off and say "that's just the way it is." Is anyone experiencing this, or is it just my car???
I feel the same way. I am probably just going to turn the bass down almost completely down on the head unit and add a small subwoofer in the trunk.
Old 02-07-14, 07:43 PM
Boomin
Racer

Received 399 Likes on 242 Posts

Avex your not alone I started a thread too about the audio
Old 02-07-14, 07:51 PM
avex
Rookie

Originally Posted by kokonutz
I feel the same way. I am probably just going to turn the bass down almost completely down on the head unit and add a small subwoofer in the trunk.
Wow. I was actually hoping the boosted bass issue was just on mine. I was hoping it was just a problem with my sub or a crossover setting. At least that way, I could get it fixed with warranty service.

Anyone else?
Old 02-07-14, 07:55 PM
avex
Rookie

Originally Posted by Boomin
Avex your not alone I started a thread too about the audio
Are you specifically experiencing the issue with the mid-bass? That's the primary issue I'm trying to resolve.
Old 02-07-14, 08:29 PM
dbs600
Lexus Test Driver

The non-ML system in my IS sounds very good in my opinion.

What I can't stand, however, is the awful LACK OF bass on Bluetooth telephone calls.

Sounds as though the person I am speaking with is under water. :|

Bluetooth telephone calls in my 2004 LX is fine.
Old 02-07-14, 08:41 PM
kokonutz
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by avex
Wow. I was actually hoping the boosted bass issue was just on mine. I was hoping it was just a problem with my sub or a crossover setting. At least that way, I could get it fixed with warranty service.

Anyone else?
If there was a way to adjust crossover, that would be great, but I don't think there is.
Old 02-08-14, 08:50 AM
avex
Rookie

If there was a way to adjust crossover, that would be great, but I don't think there is.
That's what I'm hoping. There appears to be a complete lack of any information on the 2014 system anywhere online. Is there a service manual or something for it?
Old 02-08-14, 11:10 AM
ISISGUY
Rookie

I agree, certain sources do sound better, HD vs regular audio, even usb vs bluetooth audio using the same settings, you really have to play with the settings to get it decent. Not complaining since it actually still sounds better than the bose audio system in my previous car but only way to really change it would probably be switching out audio system in the future. One of my now regrets of not getting the ML.

Still love my car though!
Old 05-13-14, 05:48 PM
slonline
Driver School Candidate

Hey, I am one of YALL (having the same opinion that mid bass is over kill on my 2014 IS350, none ML). Has anyone tried adding a power subwoofer in the trunk? If so, can you share your experience?
Old 05-13-14, 06:21 PM
jennypenny
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

if mid bass is too high, will adding a subwoofer fix it?

any advise on how would it be fixed?
Old 05-13-14, 06:28 PM
hoosier1
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Try boosting the mid-range and treble. That seems to help balance the sound on the stock system.
Old 05-13-14, 06:43 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

I have the base sound system and display controller and I agree, it's bass-biased. I don't mind with certain genres of music but it does seem to slightly muffle other sounds that should sound sharper and clearer.
Old 05-30-14, 06:51 PM
mrtriad
Rookie

Well I came from a BMW with logic 7 and to me the stock sound system sounds really weak.. I guess I was spoiled. Nonetheless, the sound system still sounds decent.
Old 05-30-14, 11:59 PM
Heard006
Driver School Candidate

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/showthread.php?t=734083

All of our car's sounds this way. This is a thread I wrote on the topic and my solution. I had to add a sub and turn the bass on the eq down

Quick Reply: Does your stock IS audio system sound very bass heavy?