IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Possibly totaled 350 F-Sport

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-14, 10:26 AM
carderoni
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Possibly totaled 350 F-Sport

In stop and go traffic (~20MPH) on I64 last Friday when an uninsured motorist in an old Tahoe rammed the Jeep Patriot behind me at full highway speed, pushing that truck into me. Below is the resulting carnage. She hit that guy so hard she wound up bouncing off the barrier on the left and t-boning him on the driver's side. I avoided any front end damage because of the angle at which the Jeep hit my car.

So it's a week later and my insurance is trying to determine if the car is totaled because - surprise, surprise - they find any salvaged 2014's to take parts from. I shouldn't owe anything on my lease due to the included gap insurance, but I do have a couple questions that I'd love get some input on:
  1. My payment is due on the 9th. If my insurance company totals it before then do I still need to make that payment? Seems unnecessary for me to shell out that money when the check is in the mail to Lexus.
  2. Will my security deposits still roll over to a new lease? If the car is totaled I'm going right back to the dealership for another.

Possibly totaled 350 F-Sport-i4xew7t.jpg

Possibly totaled 350 F-Sport-frsbyw8.jpg
Old 02-07-14, 10:29 AM
anhzie
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OMG poor u
Old 02-07-14, 10:35 AM
aznpapaya
Lead Lap

Holy crap! I thought it was you that got hit. Do you have pictures of the initial car that was hit? I can't imagin how it look like being hit by another car at ~60mph
Old 02-07-14, 10:35 AM
carderoni
Pole Position

Nobody was hurt, somehow, which is the most important thing. And insurance is covering everything. But yea, had the car for four months
Old 02-07-14, 10:37 AM
AdvanSLF
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

man, i so sorry to hear (and see) about this. i'm glad you're okay though. it looks like the IS sustained quite a bit of damage and if the rear is fractured and the axles are done for, then yes, it will most likely be a total lost. keep in mind they will take their time getting back to you on this. they'll first try to see if its fixable and that requires a flatbed to a garage. my father in law's sequoia sustained rear damage its its been almost a month now and the insurance still doesn't know what to do but keeps telling us they're seeing if its fixable. i would STRONGLY encourage you to call up Lexus and determine what they want you to do, i.e., whether they want you to make the payment or not. last thing you want to do is make it your account delinquent. lexus can also help you pursue your insurance, as well, they are the lien holder (assuming you financed with lexus).
Old 02-07-14, 10:41 AM
carderoni
Pole Position

The driver of the green Tahoe was found at fault - she was clearly not paying attention if she was driving that fast. Driving conditions were good and she could clearly see that traffic was slowing down ahead. Yet she was still up in arms about how this wasn't her fault. And, ironically, her truck had a for sale sign in the window.

The red Jeep got it worse than me - she hit him, bounced into and off of the barrier on the left, and bounced back into his driver's side. His truck has rear end, front end, and driver's side damage. The Tahoe wound up perpendicular to traffic while the Jeep was pushed into the middle lane.

Possibly totaled 350 F-Sport-5vrflda.jpg

Possibly totaled 350 F-Sport-smehmhb.jpg
Old 02-07-14, 10:52 AM
carderoni
Pole Position

Originally Posted by AdvanSLF
i would STRONGLY encourage you to call up Lexus and determine what they want you to do, i.e., whether they want you to make the payment or not. last thing you want to do is make it your account delinquent. lexus can also help you pursue your insurance, as well, they are the lien holder (assuming you financed with lexus).
Thanks - I just made the call to Lexus Financial and they made a note on the account that the car was in an accident and may be totaled. They advised me that if the car is totaled and that settlement with the insurance company is made before my March payment is due, my February payment and any late fees will be waved with no impact on my credit or standing with them. So fingers crossed that my insurance figures it out soon.
Old 02-07-14, 11:01 AM
skrules
Rookie

Boy, thats scary. Glad to know you are ok. My IS350 Fsport was rear ended three days ago. I was at a pedestrian crossing waiting for the person to cross the road, when a pick up truck hit us in the rear. We felt it quite hard, but no one was hurt. Unfortunately, my IS was not. The trunk and bumper were badly damaged. Very similar to your damages.

Now it is sitting at the body shop to be fixed. Not sure how long this is going to take. What stings even more is that the car is only one month old. I was told by the Lexus dealer and the body shop that the fixes should not affect warranty. Anybody have any idea on that?

Also since the car is going to have over 4500$ in damages, this would go into the DMV report. What can I do about the value of the car going down due to this?
Old 02-07-14, 11:04 AM
carderoni
Pole Position

I'm sorry to hear about your loss, skrules. The good news, aside from nobody being hurt, is that the damages to your car aren't enough to warrant a salvage title. I imagine it'll show up on a Carfax or similar report, though, which might make it tougher to sell privately (or possibly hurt the trade in value). Not sure what you can do about that, though.
Old 02-07-14, 11:33 AM
Lost808
Pole Position

Wow, I am sorry to see that and am glad you or anyone else did not get hurt! Good thing it is a lease, so if it is totaled you can just cut your losses and get something else. I don't think the security deposit will roll over, as it was for this specific vehicle, but who knows since this was not your fault......
Old 02-07-14, 11:39 AM
Machog
Driver

Glad you are OK. Weather related, or texting/phone accident?

Hope they do total it. Even when cars are put on jigs and painstakingly restored, they never really come back to their former glory.

Machog
Old 02-07-14, 11:42 AM
carderoni
Pole Position

Weather was fine, the Tahoe driver was simply inattentive. I heard her tires screeching a split second before seeing her ram the Jeep in my rear view mirror.

So I just spoke with the dealership - while they haven't gotten final word, the collision department says they're about 99% sure my insurance plans to total it. So I have my sales guy looking around for what other 350 F-Sports are available in the area and how long it'll take to get one.

Matador Red? Atomic Silver? Red or black interior (I had black)?
Old 02-07-14, 11:48 AM
skrules
Rookie

Originally Posted by carderoni
I'm sorry to hear about your loss, skrules. The good news, aside from nobody being hurt, is that the damages to your car aren't enough to warrant a salvage title. I imagine it'll show up on a Carfax or similar report, though, which might make it tougher to sell privately (or possibly hurt the trade in value). Not sure what you can do about that, though.
This is what our rear looked like after the incident.
Attached Thumbnails Possibly totaled 350 F-Sport-wp_001158.jpg  

Last edited by skrules; 02-07-14 at 11:49 AM. Reason: Forgot to add the pciture.
Old 02-07-14, 11:51 AM
skrules
Rookie

Originally Posted by carderoni
Weather was fine, the Tahoe driver was simply inattentive. I heard her tires screeching a split second before seeing her ram the Jeep in my rear view mirror.

So I just spoke with the dealership - while they haven't gotten final word, the collision department says they're about 99% sure my insurance plans to total it. So I have my sales guy looking around for what other 350 F-Sports are available in the area and how long it'll take to get one.

Matador Red? Atomic Silver? Red or black interior (I had black)?
Well, on the positive side, you are getting a brand new car. I prefer Matador Red with Black Interior.
Old 02-07-14, 11:53 AM
carderoni
Pole Position

Damn, that looks gnarly, but at least you still have your bumper! Having compared the pictures, I think I can see why the insurance company may want to total mine - the roof and rear quarter panels are all one piece of these cars, so I imagine that would be insanely expensive to repair.

Quick Reply: Possibly totaled 350 F-Sport