IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

what is this on my windshield?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-14, 01:46 PM
fastdak25
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default what is this on my windshield?

Ok so look at the two pics and help me figure this out. The lined formed a month or so ago. I've had the car detailed once, washed the windshield myself a few times and yet the line remains. It runs right along where the right wiper stops during it's upstroke. It's on the outside and I know this cause of it has an effect on water (see the rain pic). Again i'm wiped the area a few times and even after a full car detail it remains. Any idea how to get rid of it, or even what it is?

Old 02-03-14, 01:58 PM
AdvanSLF
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fastdak25
Ok so look at the two pics and help me figure this out. The lined formed a month or so ago. I've had the car detailed once, washed the windshield myself a few times and yet the line remains. It runs right along where the right wiper stops during it's upstroke. It's on the outside and I know this cause of it has an effect on water (see the rain pic). Again i'm wiped the area a few times and even after a full car detail it remains. Any idea how to get rid of it, or even what it is?

not sure what it is, i've noticed something similar on mine but not as prominent as yours. try using a strong degreaser, wash windshield area only with soap and water (don't get the watered down residue from the degreaser on the paint of the car), and then maybe use some windex at the end.

let me know if this works and good luck.
Old 02-03-14, 02:39 PM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's a GHOST! Ruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuun!

Edit - nah, it's prolly just some oil on your windshield. When it rains, the oil is lifted off the roads and when cars in front of you drive off, they mist all that water and oil on to your car. It ends up all over your windshield too. Use Windex and lint free cloth to wipe down the windshield and also the windshield wiper's rubber inserts! So many people neglect that rubber insert. It will last you years unless u like to use the wipers when your windshield is covered in ice lol

Last edited by nabbun; 02-03-14 at 02:43 PM.
Old 02-03-14, 03:48 PM
andcas7
Driver

Also, if Windex doesn't do it, try Invisible Glass, I think it's much better.
Old 02-03-14, 05:40 PM
bradtopp
Pit Crew

It appears that someone drew on your windshield with a sharpie.

Try wiping with a 50/50 IPA solution. If that doesn't work have no idea.

Originally Posted by andcas7
Also, if Windex doesn't do it, try Invisible Glass, I think it's much better.
Old 02-04-14, 02:55 PM
AdvanSLF
Lead Lap

had this issue again after the rain all day yesterday. but i got some windex multisurface spray and use some good elbow grease and it got out.
Old 02-04-14, 04:13 PM
magne
Lead Lap

A thin layer of rain x will probably disolve the grime, and your windshield will repel water for a couple of months

Wash the windshield properly with degreaser first though.
Old 02-04-14, 10:35 PM
Bass Mech
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

it looks like you may have had some gunk like tree sap on the wiper blade and its smearing it on the glass. clean or replace the blades, and gets some rains polishing compound buff that out and apply rains repellant to the glass.
Old 02-13-14, 09:04 PM
dbs600
Lexus Test Driver

Also saw this on my windshield and chalked it up to dirty glass / wipers, but recently had body work done and a full detail after (car looked brand new after full waxing, etc.), but the streak has returned!? Upsetting / annoying because it's in the diver's direct line of sight. Are these wipers defective / wearing out prematurely, causing some type of build up on the windshield?

Otherwise, disappointed the wipers don't return to their resting position if car is shut off mid wipe; pet peeve I hate! :|
Old 02-13-14, 09:40 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

You guys need to live in wetter climates where you use your wipers more. I've never had a car that didn't develop this line.
Old 01-04-15, 10:27 PM
dbs600
Lexus Test Driver

Revisiting this. Anyone else out there with same? If so, what if anything have you done to resolve? Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails what is this on my windshield?-1.jpg   what is this on my windshield?-2.jpg  
Old 01-04-15, 11:46 PM
Aeromotive
Pole Position

I'm curious if you rub your finger on it do you feel anything?
Old 01-05-15, 12:37 AM
kornpeef
Rookie

does you wiper go to the same spot? some brake kleen on a rag should get it out. or a razor blade. and check your wiper insert.
Old 01-05-15, 04:56 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by dbs600
Revisiting this. Anyone else out there with same? If so, what if anything have you done to resolve? Thanks.
Its just residue on your windshield. Your wiper continues to push grime to that spot over and over and its beginning to build up. Thus, when water lands there, it can't move off the windshield like everything else.

Wash the windshield, get a paper towel, and get some windex or Rain X. It won't come off right away, it will be greasy, but it will come off over time.
Old 01-08-15, 08:34 PM
dbs600
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Aeromotive
I'm curious if you rub your finger on it do you feel anything?
Nope, nada.

Originally Posted by kornpeef
does you wiper go to the same spot? some brake kleen on a rag should get it out. or a razor blade. and check your wiper insert.
Yes, the wiper reaches there. I'll try a razor blade, though! Thanks!

Originally Posted by Swacer
Its just residue on your windshield. Your wiper continues to push grime to that spot over and over and its beginning to build up. Thus, when water lands there, it can't move off the windshield like everything else.

Wash the windshield, get a paper towel, and get some windex or Rain X. It won't come off right away, it will be greasy, but it will come off over time.
Hmm; I don't know. When it first started a while back, I tried everything (expect a razor blade, as recommended above), then gave up, but it's gotten to the point of extreme annoyance.

Have to figure it out.

No one else with same?

Quick Reply: what is this on my windshield?