IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Concerned about swirls/rock chips : USB vs Obsidian vs Nebula?

Old 01-31-14, 09:31 PM
Aeromotive
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Concerned about swirls/rock chips : USB vs Obsidian vs Nebula?

Hi all!

I'm considering getting an IS350 with F-Sport Premium package this spring/summer and I'm (maybe overly) concerned about swirls, stone chips and all other minor scratches on the paint (I'm reading Lexus has some thin paint). I'm considering USB, Obsidian or Nebula Grey Pearl, with USB being my first choice. Here are a few things to consider :
  • One of my previous cars was a black '99 Mazda Protege, which probably had the worst paint in the automotive industry (I'm almost exaggerating here!). The black front bumper was actually white after a few years!
  • I'll be driving 80% highways in average (my daily commute to work is 95% highway!) which means a higher risk of stone chips, especially when stuck behind trucks.
  • Car will be leased, so I'm not too excited about getting a clear bra. I really want to avoid this, unless the dealer can work something out! On the other hand I still want the car to look great.

What are your opinions? Which color would you suggest? Can I choose USB with peace of mind?

Thanks!
Old 01-31-14, 09:38 PM
BOBFSPORT
Lead Lap

Since I have both colors I will chime in. Nebula grey hands down and don't look back.
Old 02-01-14, 02:28 AM
AeroEngi
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think silver would be the easiest to maintain.
Old 02-01-14, 04:12 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 287 Likes on 208 Posts

Obsidian is the worst.

I have Nebula Gray and USB. Nebula Gray is the best of the three but USB is a close second. Get a clear bra if mainly highway driving regardless of color.

BTW, the 3IS combined with the USB color has been a true head turner but I had to give up the standout R. Red interior.
Old 02-01-14, 09:46 PM
Aeromotive
Pole Position

Thanks for the answers.

@corradoMR2 : I'm leaning towards USB but I'm trying to avoid a clear bra because the car will probably leased... can't get my head round spending hundreds on a clear bra.
About the red interior, I'm sure I've seen it offered on USB on Lexus.ca back in summer 2013... probably a mistake by Lexus?
Old 02-01-14, 10:13 PM
phungy
Driver

Even though I have one in Obsidian, go for the Nebula.
Old 02-02-14, 08:12 AM
afdavey
Driver

Get what you like!
Stuff happens and it's called 'normal wear n' tear' and and all can be repaired when it becomes too bad.
Use the car and enjoy it - it is not going to last forever and most likely you will be onto something else before you know it.

From a maintenance point of view 'any black color' requires a lot of effort. Looks great for about 15min after you detailed it though - then the 'dust' lands on it and you start to see it.
Silver would should the least with swirls and when it gets dirty not show as much as the other colors would.
Old 02-02-14, 09:58 AM
s4awd
Driver School Candidate

Black looks great but is the absolute worst when it comes to paint. If you're **** about imperfections do NOT get black. I saw a scratch on my other car but couldn't tell if it was just dirt so I rubbed it to see if it was really a scratch. Needless to say the rubbing caused more marks and it was a scratch. So now I have swirl marks around the scratch. Arrrghhh.
Old 02-02-14, 11:29 AM
John510
Lead Lap

Lexus has VERY soft paint. After 2000 miles I had quite a bit of chips. I went and installed a clear bra. Whatever you do get a clear bra RIGHT AWAY!! The car is so low that it attracts rocks..

Being that the car is very flat on the sides I would do Nebula or silver. Even on a nebula car you will see swirls at some point. Safest color would be silver. Atomic Silver is a very nice color.
Old 02-02-14, 02:16 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 287 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by Aeromotive
Thanks for the answers.

@corradoMR2 : I'm leaning towards USB but I'm trying to avoid a clear bra because the car will probably leased... can't get my head round spending hundreds on a clear bra.
About the red interior, I'm sure I've seen it offered on USB on Lexus.ca back in summer 2013... probably a mistake by Lexus?
I understand about the clear bra. Perhaps just factor it in the deal from Lexus. It costs them nothing to throw in a 300$ accessory.

No red interior with USB in Canada ever offered. Possibly a typo at some point if you saw it.

Good luck with your decision. It wasn't easy for me and I was torn between Obsidian/Red and USB, and I ultimately went with USB because it's exclusive Canada (not US) and to the F-Sport model only.
Old 02-02-14, 02:37 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 373 Likes on 218 Posts

I'm a little confused as to why you're skeptical about having a clear-bra installed, even after you're willing to choose a less-desired color, which ultimately won't fix the situation at hand? A clear bra is <$1k.
Old 02-02-14, 02:49 PM
DexRox512
Turkey Killer

Love my Silver Lining Metallic
Old 02-02-14, 03:29 PM
LexusFsprt
Driver

I have Obsidian. On the second day of ownership, I took it on a 300 mile road trip back to base. I was also concerned about rock chipping and such, so I tried avoiding driving behind other vehicles on the freeway. Washed my car on arrival, had a few rock chippings. Also no matter what you do, there will be swirls!
Old 02-02-14, 11:00 PM
Jake
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Obsidian is a beautiful color, but it really sucks. As previously said, it is a thin paint that swirls and chips easily. Quite a challenge to maintain. It's long overdue that Lexus makes a new black.
Old 02-02-14, 11:06 PM
vietzboi87
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I can't see any chips on my USB. It's an 08 and paint still looks perfect.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Concerned about swirls/rock chips : USB vs Obsidian vs Nebula?