IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

RPM spike when shifting from reverse to drive...help

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-14, 04:29 PM
JLex23
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RPM spike when shifting from reverse to drive...help

Has anyone experienced this? Car has 150 miles on it . When I shift the car into reverse it engages fine, but when I then shift from reverse to drive I get a 400-600 RPM spike and I can feel the load on my transmission for a split second before the RPMs drop back to the normal level. If I remove my foot off the brake too soon during the spike, the car will lurch forward quickly. I assume this is not normal. Car drives and shifts beautifully otherwise. Any thoughts guys??
Old 01-30-14, 04:41 PM
Slust
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't call 400-600 a spike. Every car I've driven increases the idle RPM briefly going from reverse to drive. I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 01-30-14, 05:39 PM
bradtopp
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does it do this all of the time or only when your car hasn't reached operating temperature, yet?

My guess is if you try this when your car is actually at operating temperature (the temp gage is about in the middle) the car doesn't do this. Your RPM's are higher on cold mornings until the car is warm.

Originally Posted by JLex23
Has anyone experienced this? Car has 150 miles on it . When I shift the car into reverse it engages fine, but when I then shift from reverse to drive I get a 400-600 RPM spike and I can feel the load on my transmission for a split second before the RPMs drop back to the normal level. If I remove my foot off the brake too soon during the spike, the car will lurch forward quickly. I assume this is not normal. Car drives and shifts beautifully otherwise. Any thoughts guys??
Old 01-30-14, 05:49 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by bradtopp
Does it do this all of the time or only when your car hasn't reached operating temperature, yet?

My guess is if you try this when your car is actually at operating temperature (the temp gage is about in the middle) the car doesn't do this. Your RPM's are higher on cold mornings until the car is warm.

I agree, and if you have the HVAC on while car is not at operating temp, an rpm spike will occur. You can reproduce this by turning the fan on , then off.
Old 01-30-14, 06:40 PM
JLex23
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bradtopp

It's definitely a lot more noticeable when the engine is cold but it does it warm as well only much less of a spike but still more than on my past cars
Old 01-30-14, 07:44 PM
TheShaddix
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

For a warmed up car that's totally normal as you're going from car being under load in R, to no load for a brief second till you shift into D, so it will have that jerk when the engine is connected to the car again. Every car has that, some more than others depending on several factors. Also, just a suggestion...But I see a lot of people reverse their cars, then, before it even fully stops, they throw it into Drive, and drive off. I was told that it doesn't hurt the car, but I was also told that there is no need to warm up cars anymore and no point breaking them in when they are new. It's all just bs. I still do it old school. So I recommend when you reverse, stop fully, then shift to D while still pressing your breaks, then once you feel it engaged and ready, you can press gas. It'll be a much smoother overall transition, especially when it's cold.