IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

How has your 3IS done in the snow?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-14, 07:31 PM
ultran00b8
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I find the grip of the stock tires to be pretty bad, but maybe that's just me? I'm used to Range Rovers with winter tires that are just invincible in the winter time. I drifted a turn at 20km/h with about 1.5 cm on the ground and applied counter-steering and throttle to counteract the oversteer. Wouldn't have happened on my CT with snow tires. Hmm...
Old 01-21-14, 08:30 PM
caesosa
Pole Position

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

In Washington state we have taken the IS250 AWD over the pass and some light snow, 1st report fantastic. I think I still rather take our GX over the pass because of the sense of security but realistically it performed pretty evenly.
Old 01-21-14, 09:44 PM
magne
Lead Lap

My RWD IS300h actually preforms quite good for an RWD car. However the weight of the battery pack for the hybrid systems helps a lot, since it is placed in the wheel well in the back. A decent set of winter tires also helps a lot.

But it can not at all compare to my last car, a subaru impeza STi. That one really loved snow, and almost preformed equal on tamrac and snow when it came to acceleration.

The IS hybrid is a well balanced car, and feels pretty safe on snow, and at the same time feels just a little playful to
Old 01-21-14, 09:49 PM
caesosa
Pole Position

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

I have heard before that the hybrids are not bad in the snow. It's tough to compare an AWD with rwd but for that application they are very well balanced.
Old 01-22-14, 05:09 AM
onepointon
Intermediate

Received 150 Likes on 49 Posts

When I was deciding on buying an IS, snow was a big deal for me. I had a 2006 4Runner (4.7 V8) with Michelin LTX M/S 2's and it was an absolute beast in the snow. I did 26 days snowboarding last year, and already over 10 this year. I really wanted a 2WD IS350 for the 8 speed, but had to do the AWD if I wanted to continue boarding like I do.

I got stuck in my first snow storm around the first of the year driving through West VA. As far as getting stuck, I wasn’t worried about it with the AWD, but IMO, turning and braking aren’t good at all. I think a lot of it has to do with the tires. I understand the car will not be the same as the 4Runner, but I was pretty disappointed with the traction, and things got a bit hairy a few times going through some of those mountains. I will say it was pretty nice to drive right past a Benz that couldn’t get up a hill that blew by me earlier in the trip.

I live in Richmond, VA and we got a bit of snow last night. We took it out last night to do some driving around a bit, it does ok, but you definitely have to leave a lot of space for braking and take it really easy around the turns. AWD is definitely the way to go if you have to deal with the fluffy stuff. It doesn't touch what my 4Runner did, but i partly expected that.

I took this before things got crazy on my boarding trip.

How has your 3IS done in the snow?-imf9f6t.jpg

Last edited by onepointon; 01-22-14 at 05:14 AM.
Old 01-22-14, 06:29 AM
jnjmatts
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I live in Saskatchewan and for those who aren't familiar we have snow for a good 7 months of the year. I put winter tires on and bought the awd. The car is amazing on snow and ice. I also own a 4wd tundra and will take the awd system on the lexus over the truck any day. I agree that you don't hear as much about lexus awd systems as bmw and Audi but it has to be up there. I haven't had the chance to try either bmw or Audi in winter conditions so can't say for sure.
Old 01-22-14, 06:36 AM
magne
Lead Lap

Never tried the lexus AWD, but I have tried several subarus, audi and mercs with 4wd. (merc 4matic and audi quattro in different genereations.)
Subaru has a far more superior 4wd system than any of the german competitors.
So for those of you with lexus AWD, if you want to compare it to something, try a subaru.
There are different systems through the years of subarus also, but they have not changed the basic way the system works. They have added some electronics and diff locks\diff brakes over the years tho.
Old 01-22-14, 06:44 AM
CobraGSF
Lead Lap

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

Here is a helpful link I found about the lexus AWD system. The guy lexpert claims to be a technician an gives a good oversight on the AWD system. I like how it switches to 50/50 from 80/20. Impressive!

http://www.justanswer.com/lexus/3wce...ne-wheels.html

2014 AWD IS 350 F Sport Ultra White/Rioja Red
Old 01-22-14, 07:56 AM
jhs82
Lead Lap

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

After a couple of days with snow and sub zero temperature, i want AWD.
RWD with the initial torque from the electric motor is challenging. Really tail happy.
Start from stand still without snow-mode is almost impossible.

Will take some time do get myself custom to.
Old 01-22-14, 09:23 AM
WWM
Rookie

Originally Posted by jhs82
RWD with the initial torque from the electric motor is challenging. Really tail happy.

What kind of tires are you using? Sounds like summer or all-season if you're having that much trouble. I have the summer tires on my RWD IS350 but I drive a different car when there is snow, a BMW 135i. It has winter tires and despite being RWD and having a ton of low-end torque, I don't have the issues you've described. It's actually pretty fun to drive a RWD car in the snow with winter tires.

I've been caught out in a cm or two of snow a couple times in my IS. The ER33's are actually better than other summer tires in the light snow, but that's not saying much. The TCS also cuts in a lot if you try and accelerate quickly (nothing extreme, like 4-5k RPM maybe).
Old 01-22-14, 11:26 AM
magne
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jhs82

Use the ECO mode in snow. It gives out just the right amount of torque
Lot's of snow here in norway, and they don't plow it of the roads, just try to salt it away, causing the roads to be even more slippery.
I drive on studless nokian hakka R tyres on my car. Works very good for a rwd.
Old 01-22-14, 11:27 AM
jhs82
Lead Lap

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by WWM
What kind of tires are you using? Sounds like summer or all-season if you're having that much trouble. I have the summer tires on my RWD IS350 but I drive a different car when there is snow, a BMW 135i. It has winter tires and despite being RWD and having a ton of low-end torque, I don't have the issues you've described. It's actually pretty fun to drive a RWD car in the snow with winter tires.

I've been caught out in a cm or two of snow a couple times in my IS. The ER33's are actually better than other summer tires in the light snow, but that's not saying much. The TCS also cuts in a lot if you try and accelerate quickly (nothing extreme, like 4-5k RPM maybe).
Don't remember the brand, but they're premium non studded winter tires. Good in snow, not so good on ice.
The problem is the electric motors torque from start. It gives 300Nm instantly if you're not careful with the pedal. In comparison, the IS250 deliveres 250Nm as best.

I belive the combined torque in the 300h is higher than the IS350 (380Nm).

That, combined with the CVT, i get faster response compared to my previous Audi A4 2.0T (with over 420Nm).
Old 01-22-14, 01:28 PM
AdvanSLF
Lead Lap

I have the summer tires on my RWD F Sport. Just put it in snow mode + eco mode and the vehicle is pretty compliant. obviously you have to drive like it too, braking early, leaving room ahead of you, and easy on the accelerator and in turns. just because you have an awd car or an SUV or both doesn't give you any right to go faster or be a douche on the road. if you dont get into an accident, you may cause one with your recklessness. slow down, share the road, and everyone will get where they need to go safely.

i do want to personally note that though the vehicle was compliant today (we just had about 5 inches of snow with a inch of ice/compressed snow underneath) i did have minor trouble getting traction at a small incline hill. took about 3-4 seconds before it would actually move. i'm sure some winter tires can help fix that along with plenty of safe driving.
Old 01-22-14, 02:11 PM
carderoni
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Finally used the SNOW mode last night and this morning thanks to the storm. It handled everything like a champ.
Old 01-22-14, 05:37 PM
somoflange
Driver School Candidate

Completely impressed with my IS350 AWD so far this winter. I'm in Toronto, but highway commute a lot. We've had moderate snow, ice, slushy roads, light snow on ice, rain, snap thaws...you name it so far. I came over from an S4, and the Lexus is better in the winter conditions, hands down. I think it's due to a generally better chassis and suspension, and the better brake feel. (I'm on Michelin X-Ice3's which have been a really pleasant surprise too, much better than my last set of Hakkapeliitas.)

In the snow the AWD is very capable, as good as Quattro in my opinion. And I'm an admitted Audi fanboy, having owned a pile of them, so I'm not just trolling. It's been a real treat.

Last edited by somoflange; 01-22-14 at 05:42 PM. Reason: speeling mistackes

Quick Reply: How has your 3IS done in the snow?