IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

A first

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-14, 09:44 PM
Slust
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A first

I'm waiting at the light and this dude walking across the street glances over his shoulder and stops right in front of me with his head turned to the side and just stares at me. I'm like, "Oh man, this dude is gonna start some *********." I'm feeling fat dumb and happy from eating a big meal after having just trained so I really wasn't in the mood to get into it with someone. I wasn't in the bad part of town but the university district is still rather notorious. I'm tired and just wanna chill, but this guy literally stopped in front of my car and has been staring at me for at least 10 seconds with his head tilted gangster lean style. Then a smirky smile pops and he nods in approval and walks on.

Like wow I never had someone go that much out of their way to look at my car but then again I don't drive GTRs like some people here do. I've had people come up to me saying nice car or staring as I drove by but stopping in the middle of the street just to look was a new one. Despite what the internet trolls think the 3IS seems to impress people on the streets. Not gonna lie, it felt good so thought I'd share.
Old 01-19-14, 09:52 PM
CobraGSF
Lead Lap

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

Hah I know how you feel. On my way home from work a g37 with about 3 other passengers were staring at my car including the driver LOL. gave them a thumbs up and took off

2014 IS 350 F-Sport Ultra White/Rioja Red
Old 01-19-14, 10:28 PM
Lost808
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same type of situation happen to me in my 370. Was sitting at a light here in LA and a (what appeared to be) crack head thug crossing the street and stopped right in front of me. Not a situation you want to have in LA, so my heart skipped a beat and my hand was sitting on my ASP. He stopped, stared for a min, pointed at me, and yelled "nice f'ing car bro!" and continued walking. I gave the thumbs up, light turned, and I was off.
Old 01-19-14, 10:30 PM
AdvanSLF
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not gonna lie, the attention I get when I drive the car feels great. But man, I get so paranoid every time I park and walk away. Not knowing if ppl are going to stare at it, walk up to it, and/or do something. I kid you not when my wife and I go out to eat since having the car, I've requested her to always pick a window seat where we can view the car. And if we go out anywhere, we always park away from the general public--though always in a lit place. Sometimes though I would rather have no attention than the mix of attention, not knowing if some will be good or bad.
Old 01-19-14, 11:32 PM
iPinky
Driver

The other day, while waiting at the Universal Studios lot gate, the traffic guy standing across from the front of my car kept pointing and giving me the thumbs up. Dude could not stop looking at my car. He then came up to my car and repeated, "Beautiful car! I love the front!" Haha.
Old 01-20-14, 04:08 AM
wulfstan
Rookie

Every parking garage we've driven into, an attendant has commented on the styling... "...great looking...", "sexy..."

I say thanks and continue on with a huge grin on my face...

DRIVE WITH PRIDE...

Johnny

2014 Monogram Whiteout Scion FR-S (Ordered 1/12/14))

1985 Toyota Corolla GT-S Red Hatchback (AE86) 157k miles
1987 Toyota Supra Turbo Pearl White (MA70) 101k miles
Old 01-20-14, 04:41 PM
phungy
Driver

Similar thing happened just a few hours after I picked up the car. A teenager walked in front of me while I was parked and gave me a thumbs up before walking away.
Old 01-20-14, 05:31 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Two memorable ones I experienced:

1. This happened over the summer. I'm driving in my neighborhood. A guy is washing the side of his Altima, bent down washing the bottom sills. He hears my car coming, looks up and does a double-take, then stares the entire time I passed by (slowly). The entire moment was at least 6-7 seconds. What was funny is the entire time he was staring, he was still bent down, neck up, mouth opened, and passing his wash mitt repeatedly over the same spot the entire time.

2. Later that summer, a group of kids, one with jaw dropped, stared like they saw their dream car drive by. What was impressive is these were only 7-8 year old kids!. They know their cars! One of them turned out to be my son's friend who now talks about my car at his school and every time he sees me drive by, stares and gives me the
Old 01-20-14, 05:35 PM
ISISGUY
Rookie

Went to lunch last week, left the car with the valet, I know, not the greatest habit, but I trust this restaurant and valet. Anyway, I walked back out after we were done with lunch, and my car was out front! Never had the valet leave my car out front before. Felt awesome!!
Old 01-20-14, 05:45 PM
SonyHome
Lexus Test Driver

One of my co-worker (guy who used to report to me) said my car was "cute"! LOL! He drives Mercedes C200.
Old 01-20-14, 07:59 PM
CobraGSF
Lead Lap

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

was leaving the gym today. was in my spot warming up the car a little and a guy was walking by staring at the car. mind you this lasted for at least 20 seconds. he puts his water bottle on the trunk of his car without taking his eye off of my car and his bottle fell on the floor. drove away looked in the mirror and he was still staring. oh how I love my 3IS
Old 01-21-14, 08:07 AM
IS350S2K
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The car might be polarizing but I think Lexus designers created a look that is attractive and unique. The front might be ugly to some but it grows on you. Reminds me when the Evo X came out or the Audi big mouth. Thought it was too much grill. But now I love their looks.
Old 01-21-14, 05:25 PM
Slust
Pole Position

Good stories above

I hated the grill at first too. I like it how the Audi guys bash our car on their forums, especially when as mentioned above Audis were hated at first too.

I don't concern myself with the internet trolling as street cred means more.
Old 01-21-14, 06:04 PM
theoryguy3
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

I came out of the coffee shop the other and I saw a couple of guys standing next to my car taking pictures. Definitely made me feel pretty good about my decision to buy the car.
Old 01-21-14, 06:20 PM
Lost808
Pole Position

Originally Posted by theoryguy3
I came out of the coffee shop the other and I saw a couple of guys standing next to my car taking pictures. Definitely made me feel pretty good about my decision to buy the car.
That would make me freakin nervous seeing that!