IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Do you warm your engine in the morning?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-14, 02:10 PM
mnm27mnm
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Do you warm your engine in the morning?

So I have read that it's good and that's bad to warm up your engine. I have always been accustomed to do it. I have read that on aluminum blocks if you don't warm up your engine and for some reason you have to accelerate quickly you can crack your engine.
Old 01-18-14, 03:26 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

I park in my garage so it's not as cold as the outside temps. I let the car idle for about 10-15 seconds and shift to Drive. Accelerate normally between 2 and no more than 3k RPMs. High revs/high throttle input for a cold engine is not recommended and repeated use can increase the risk of engine issues.

A side note is that until the engine is properly warmed up, Manual mode will not allow you to shift under your control when you want it to until it's properly warmed up.
Old 01-18-14, 03:43 PM
darkdream
Lexus Champion

You are in California. Unless you are living in the areas that snow, your car is never going to be that cold. It does not take long for the engine to reach operating temperatures in general California weather.
Old 01-18-14, 04:29 PM
AdvanSLF
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you cali guys don't have to worry about that warming up crap.. its really geared towards everyone else. i'd say if your ambient or air temp is 45 degrees or higher, i don't think you need any kind of warm up. though i would advise driving easily the first few minutes/miles just to let the engine temp work up to optimal range.
Old 01-18-14, 08:25 PM
Lost808
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No matter where I am and how cold it is, I just let it idle enough to let the RPM drops to normal then drive. I keep it under 3k RPM and baby it until the oil temps get up. It is harder on the engine to let it just idle than it is to drive it slow to warm up.
Old 01-18-14, 08:44 PM
mnewxcv
Lead Lap

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

cant imagine what you read that said its bad to warm up an engine. itll be warm from driving it pretty soon after so i cant see how letting it warm up before driving can be bad. I warm up 30sec-2 minutes on cold days. if its warm i still let it get 10-15sec just to get the oil around the engine
Old 01-18-14, 09:15 PM
J-Velocity
Rookie

Just because its called warm up its not necessary get your car to higher temperature.
After the car being sit over night the engine would sink to the bottom of the block (gravity).
Doing a "warm up" would get the oil to lubricate the engine.
I do a warm up for about 30sec or more regardless its winter or summer.
Old 01-18-14, 09:52 PM
BOBFSPORT
Lead Lap

I get in my car when it's 10 degrees start it and Immediately floor the ***** until warm air comes out of the vents. In other words NO. I always make sure my cars are nice and broken in for a CPO buyer upon turn in. In all seriousness it doesn't matter either way.
Old 01-18-14, 11:37 PM
Celsius
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by BOBFSPORT
I get in my car when it's 10 degrees start it and Immediately floor the ***** until warm air comes out of the vents. In other words NO. I always make sure my cars are nice and broken in for a CPO buyer upon turn in. In all seriousness it doesn't matter either way.
I wouldn't advise you doing that on a turbocharged car, the GTR won't even let you "launch" it until the fluids, like the transmission is @ operating temperature...~160 degrees.
Old 01-18-14, 11:43 PM
BOBFSPORT
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Celsius
I wouldn't advise you doing that on a turbocharged car, the GTR won't even let you "launch" it until the fluids, like the transmission is @ operating temperature...~160 degrees.
My car is turbocharged?! I had a Porsche turbo it would stay in limp mode for a few minutes in really cold weather. Modern NA engines it doesn't matter. If anything they may prefer to be revved out immediately to warm up. Hence the rpms staying above 2k upon start up in freezing weather.

Last edited by BOBFSPORT; 01-18-14 at 11:55 PM.
Old 01-19-14, 12:45 AM
mnm27mnm
Driver

Thanks for the info guys.
Old 01-19-14, 12:57 AM
falundir
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Running the car hard or unnecessary revving is the fastest way to reduce the life of your engine when cold.

Oil that is not at normal operating temperatures does not fully protect the engine.

With that said, modern engines do not need as much of a warm up. I personally advise that you allow the engine to reach 80% of normal operating temperature, and avoid any aggressive driving until your oil temp is at normal operating temperatures. If you do not have the ability to monitor oil temperatures, 10 minutes of normal driving should be sufficient.
Old 01-19-14, 05:36 AM
Slust
Pole Position

As stated no need to warm up your engines.

Though I wait for the RPMs to settle down before I take off. It made my 2IS shift better that way, especially that first transition from 2nd to 3rd. I cannot really tell a difference in the 3IS but old habits in all.
Old 01-19-14, 06:02 AM
SexyElaine
Pole Position

I work an early 700am shift as a registered nurse and am often running late each morning so nooooo i don't i guess if i had more time i would ??!!
Old 01-19-14, 06:19 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

30 seconds to establish lubrication then I go

Quick Reply: Do you warm your engine in the morning?