IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Master Thread for 3IS Car Cover recommendations (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-13, 01:39 PM
Therealman
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Master Thread for 3IS Car Cover recommendations (merged threads)

Any recommendations on a good car cover plz help!!!!! Thanks
Old 09-30-13, 02:13 PM
IntegresS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've had a CoverKing Stormproof™ Custom Car Cover for my 2011 IS since 2011 and it has held up great and done a superb job of keeping the car in pristine condition! I'm actually planning to buy one for my 2014 IS as well I highly recommend the product! Fits like a glove and does a great job.

http://www.coverking.com/
Old 11-21-13, 02:35 PM
Alius
Pole Position

Anyone purchased a car cover for our 3ISs? Any recommendations?
Old 11-21-13, 06:07 PM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

^^^

I've used HD shield on my last 3 cars. Excellent cover. Blocks 95% UV rays, rain proof and machine washable and dryable. I always buy from California Car Cover but others sell it. See my cover ripped after 4 years (too many washings) and Calcar replaced it.

http://www.calcarcover.com/n_covermaterials/Superweave
Old 11-22-13, 02:46 PM
Alius
Pole Position

Awesome, I'll check it out, thanks!
Old 11-22-13, 02:55 PM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

You're welcome.
Old 01-18-14, 11:44 AM
shreddog
Driver

Default Car cover recommendations

I usually keep my car in a garage in my apartment complex, but am planning a trip to Montreal to watch the Grand Prix in June. The place we are renting has private parking (driveway) but it is outdoors. This, quite honestly, is causing me worry. I was thinking about getting a car cover to cover the car while it is parked outdoors over the 4 days I am there. Not planning on using the car while we are there so it will just sit there. Also was thinking about paying for parking in a garage (if I can find one) nearby, but handing my keys over to a valet practically causes convulsions.

Are all car covers created equal? Is it worth it to get an official Lexus cover? I don't want it to say Lexus on it so as to not draw attention (but I guess a car under a cover is a little weird for the average car owner). Does anybody use one? If so, what's a good one to get that max protects?

Thanks.
Old 01-18-14, 12:22 PM
CtSFox
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by shreddog
I usually keep my car in a garage in my apartment complex, but am planning a trip to Montreal to watch the Grand Prix in June. The place we are renting has private parking (driveway) but it is outdoors. This, quite honestly, is causing me worry. I was thinking about getting a car cover to cover the car while it is parked outdoors over the 4 days I am there. Not planning on using the car while we are there so it will just sit there. Also was thinking about paying for parking in a garage (if I can find one) nearby, but handing my keys over to a valet practically causes convulsions.

Are all car covers created equal? Is it worth it to get an official Lexus cover? I don't want it to say Lexus on it so as to not draw attention (but I guess a car under a cover is a little weird for the average car owner). Does anybody use one? If so, what's a good one to get that max protects?

Thanks.
I would think having the car covered under the circumstances you describe might attract the very kind of unwanted attention you are trying to avoid.
Old 01-18-14, 01:00 PM
Lost808
Pole Position

I use the Silverguard Plus on my Z and will be getting one for my 3IS. Both cars are parked in a parking garage, but will use that cover when I am away for extended periods. It is great protection inside or outside in harsh elements. Great fit and protection. Inside is really soft and does not scratch. With any car cover (even silk dust covers) you should only use on a freshly washed car.
Old 01-18-14, 02:27 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 288 Likes on 209 Posts

Having lived in Montreal most of my life, I've seen all my family from parents, cousins, brother, inlaws, friends, and so on get their cars stolen mostly in front of their driveways, over night. You may or may not know that Montreal is the car theft capital of Canada and arguably N.America. Thankfully, you don't have a Corolla, Civic, Camry, Cobalt, (funny, all "C" cars) which are the top thefts, but all sorts of other cars have been stolen due to several large car theft rings. Even hotel parking lots are not usually safe. I know that part of the pleasure in the 4-day Thursday - Sunday Grand Prix weekend trip will be the drive with your 3IS but you may want to consider a rental or a bus ticket. The chances of your car being stolen are still slim, but If you absolutely want to take your 3IS, invest the money on a secure parking spot instead of a car cover as it will arouse more suspicion than protection.

Last edited by corradoMR2; 01-18-14 at 03:02 PM.
Old 01-18-14, 03:47 PM
darkdream
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All car covers are not created equally. Some can damage the paint if it traps moisture in it. Your car needs to be clean (freshly washed) in order to put a car cover on without placing scratches all over the clear coat. I do not have the 3IS, but a 2IS. I use coverking from costco which is custom made for the car. It was the best bang for the bug for non universal car covers.
Old 01-18-14, 04:26 PM
AdvanSLF
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
The chances of your car being stolen are still slim, but If you absolutely want to take your 3IS, invest the money on a secure parking spot instead of a car cover as it will arouse more suspicion than protection.
Old 01-18-14, 04:47 PM
shreddog
Driver

The chances of your car being stolen are still slim, but If you absolutely want to take your 3IS, invest the money on a secure parking spot instead of a car cover as it will arouse more suspicion than protection.
Thanks for the info. I didn't realize that car thefts were so prominent in Montreal. Typically we've rented condos that have indoor private parking.

Do you know of any secure parking lots in the area that are trustworthy? We are staying by the Station Mont-Royal metro stop. I've tried to look some up online but it's difficult as I don't know the area all that well. As long as it's close to a metro stop, I can park the car and take the metro back to the condo.

Thank you.
Old 01-19-14, 06:54 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 288 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by shreddog
Thanks for the info. I didn't realize that car thefts were so prominent in Montreal. Typically we've rented condos that have indoor private parking.

Do you know of any secure parking lots in the area that are trustworthy? We are staying by the Station Mont-Royal metro stop. I've tried to look some up online but it's difficult as I don't know the area all that well. As long as it's close to a metro stop, I can park the car and take the metro back to the condo.

Thank you.
The ones I parked at were downtown at Place Ville Marie, or the Sunlife building. In your case, I'd consider parking at the Tourism and Hotelling School right on St. Denis, at Sherbrooke Metro station or walking distance from Mont-Royal station. It's a government-operated school with 24 hr indoor parking, and the 6 ft 2 inch height limits certain tow trucks to come in and out.

See http://montreal.bestparking.com and give them a call or search for other options. In the end, park indoors and don't sweat it. Enjoy the F1 event and all the fanfare and attractions downtown Montreal. Hearing an F1 car accelerate and decelerate in person is surreal - nowhere near what you think you know and hear on TV.
Attached Thumbnails Master Thread for 3IS Car Cover recommendations (merged threads)-parking.jpg  
Old 01-19-14, 07:42 AM
shreddog
Driver

The ones I parked at were downtown at Place Ville Marie, or the Sunlife building. In your case, I'd consider parking at the Tourism and Hotelling School right on St. Denis, at Sherbrooke Metro station or walking distance from Mont-Royal station. It's a government-operated school with 24 hr indoor parking, and the 6 ft 2 inch height limits certain tow trucks to come in and out.

See http://montreal.bestparking.com and give them a call or search for other options. In the end, park indoors and don't sweat it. Enjoy the F1 event and all the fanfare and attractions downtown Montreal. Hearing an F1 car accelerate and decelerate in person is surreal - nowhere near what you think you know and hear on TV.
Thanks! This is very helpful. That is a great site!

I've been to the last 3 GP's in Montreal and it is one of the best sporting experiences I've ever had. Last year we had Grandstand 1 tickets and the cars revving at the start of the race just gives me goosebumps. It will be interesting to hear what the new engines sound like.

Thanks again for the website. Feeling much better about driving up the 3IS now.

Quick Reply: Master Thread for 3IS Car Cover recommendations (merged threads)