IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Cadillac ATS vs. Lexus 350F Sport

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-14, 09:23 AM
GaryHE
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cadillacs seem a bit overpriced for what you get, and they don't hold their resale value all that well. As far as being reliable, though, I doubt that would ever be an issue for the Caddy. Certainly, I'd be more comfortable owning a Cadillac than a BMW from a reliability standpoint. I'm not a big fan of either the CTS or the ATS but….If they put the 420 HP twin turbo V6 in the ATS….well…that would be kinda fun!

Last edited by GaryHE; 01-19-14 at 09:30 AM.
Old 01-19-14, 09:44 AM
bp044
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dojoman
I don't dig the look of both ATS and CTS. They just look like grandpa's car.
I am only asking about fun to drive. In this case the looks of the car should not be a factor. There are many people feel the 350 is ugly and make fun of it. I like it. But I also like the looks of the ATS
There are many factors in picking a car. The prime one for me is good handling. I had a relatively short test drive in each and could not reach a conclusion as to which one handled better
Old 01-19-14, 11:08 AM
chris2k5
Pit Crew

For handling the ATS just rapes the IS350 FSport. The steering is probably one of the best electric steering in the class.
Old 01-19-14, 12:10 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Originally Posted by GaryHE
Cadillacs seem a bit overpriced for what you get, and they don't hold their resale value all that well. As far as being reliable, though, I doubt that would ever be an issue for the Caddy. Certainly, I'd be more comfortable owning a Cadillac than a BMW from a reliability standpoint. I'm not a big fan of either the CTS or the ATS but….If they put the 420 HP twin turbo V6 in the ATS….well…that would be kinda fun!
Cadillac's pricing is aggressive I agree.

For resale though, the previous CTS won an ALG resale value award...

Originally Posted by bp044
I am only asking about fun to drive. In this case the looks of the car should not be a factor. There are many people feel the 350 is ugly and make fun of it. I like it. But I also like the looks of the ATS
There are many factors in picking a car. The prime one for me is good handling. I had a relatively short test drive in each and could not reach a conclusion as to which one handled better
The ATS is more "raw" than the IS, the IS is more refined. I have read reviews that felt the ATS was more fun to drive because of that rawness.
Old 01-19-14, 12:50 PM
IS350S2K
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The ATS has great handling. Even more so than the slug handling of the Q50. The DAS. What were they thinking.
Old 01-19-14, 02:37 PM
BOBFSPORT
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by IS350S2K
The ATS has great handling. Even more so than the slug handling of the Q50. The DAS. What were they thinking.
This is true. My best friend has a Q50 and he hates it! He loves driving my car. I drove the ATS and it does handle a bit better than the IS but the interiors quality is **** poor!
Old 01-19-14, 02:57 PM
chris2k5
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by BOBFSPORT

This is true. My best friend has a Q50 and he hates it! He loves driving my car. I drove the ATS and it does handle a bit better than the IS but the interiors quality is **** poor!
The IS interior has cheap materials compared to BMW, Audi and Mercedes too.
Old 01-19-14, 03:28 PM
IS350S2K
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Yea. The ATS might be better at handling but not the interior. The Q50 interior is really not great. Feels like an Acura. Just a little bit better than an economy car. No comparison to the interior of a Merc (just helped wash my dad's S class). But to be fair, his car was over 90k so it has to be better. Compared to my mom's C class, I prefer the IS.
Old 01-19-14, 03:48 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

It's all a matter of taste. I prefer the ATS interior to the IS.
Old 01-19-14, 04:58 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by IS350S2K
Yea. The ATS might be better at handling but not the interior. The Q50 interior is really not great. Feels like an Acura. Just a little bit better than an economy car. No comparison to the interior of a Merc (just helped wash my dad's S class). But to be fair, his car was over 90k so it has to be better. Compared to my mom's C class, I prefer the IS.
You cannot compare the interior of your dads S-Class to an ATS, IS or Q50 as there is no correlation.

The interior of the Q50 material quality (not design) is among best in class. And Q50, ATS and IS all even beat out the expanse of rough hard plastics in a 2010 C63 AMG I just sampled. Extremely disappointing. It's evident you're only paying for a C-Class body with big brakes and a hot engine.

2015 C-Class looks to up the interior quality according to pictures. But let's see how it translates to real life
Old 01-19-14, 05:51 PM
TheShaddix
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by chris2k5
The IS interior has cheap materials compared to BMW, Audi and Mercedes too.
Which models are you referring to? Everything I've seen from bmw and mercedes, even the m5 and SL, didn't really look all that much better than Lexus, and the new IS interior is much more interesting to behold than the classy and boring interiors of the other two with their flat and straight looking dash boards. And the new 3 series bmw shouldn't even be mentioned in this discussion at all.
Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
You cannot compare the interior of your dads S-Class to an ATS, IS or Q50 as there is no correlation.

The interior of the Q50 material quality (not design) is among best in class. And Q50, ATS and IS all even beat out the expanse of rough hard plastics in a 2010 C63 AMG I just sampled. Extremely disappointing. It's evident you're only paying for a C-Class body with big brakes and a hot engine.

2015 C-Class looks to up the interior quality according to pictures. But let's see how it translates to real life
I agree, the C63 amg interior is total garbage. I also test drove the 2010 model and could not believe they used so much hard plastic on the inside. And the car wasn't even all that fast. I drove my friend's E63 with 507 hp and that was a different story.
Old 01-19-14, 05:55 PM
BOBFSPORT
Lead Lap

I will say no more. I echo Matt Farahs review of the ATS.

Old 01-19-14, 06:02 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by BOBFSPORT
I will say no more. I echo Matt Farahs review of the ATS
Can't argue with anything he said....
Old 01-19-14, 08:24 PM
chris2k5
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by TheShaddix
Which models are you referring to? Everything I've seen from bmw and mercedes, even the m5 and SL, didn't really look all that much better than Lexus, and the new IS interior is much more interesting to behold than the classy and boring interiors of the other two with their flat and straight looking dash boards. And the new 3 series bmw shouldn't even be mentioned in this discussion at all.

I agree, the C63 amg interior is total garbage. I also test drove the 2010 model and could not believe they used so much hard plastic on the inside. And the car wasn't even all that fast. I drove my friend's E63 with 507 hp and that was a different story.
You are entitled to your opinion on the looks but the quality of materials on the German cars are FAR superior to the materials used in the IS. Lexus cheapened the plastics and materials used. Even the Q50 has better materials.
Old 01-19-14, 09:49 PM
BOBFSPORT
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by chris2k5
You are entitled to your opinion on the looks but the quality of materials on the German cars are FAR superior to the materials used in the IS. Lexus cheapened the plastics and materials used. Even the Q50 has better materials.
This is also your opinion Chris. I have owned German and Japanese cars and yes the Germans use "heavier" materials than the Japanese but far superior they are not. My brothers audio control **** broke off twice on his 335i. He now has an IS350 (pictures of it in the Obsidian thread) and he has told me numerous times that the fit and finish of the IS interior is much better than the beemer. The only thing he misses from one car to the other is the forced induction engine. I don't know why you like the Q50 so much but my best friend is looking to sell his if you are in the market? Its my opinion and his that its the worst car in the class and the interior materials are in no way better than the IS. He blindly traded in his G37 for it and regrets that decision everyday. Infiniti went backwards with the Q50 (besides the styling). The ONLY thing we both like about the Q50 is the grille. It is no coincidence that the Q50 comes in last in all major reviews. The fact is that every car in the class has something performance related that is great ATS=Handling/Steering S4=Engine/Trans 335=Engine/Trans Q50=The Grille?! Its comical to me that this discussion has come down to the IS interior because in most reviews (including my own) its one of the greatest attributes this car has over others in the mid size segment.

Quick Reply: Cadillac ATS vs. Lexus 350F Sport