IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Cadillac ATS vs. Lexus 350F Sport

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-14, 10:03 PM
Slust
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOL @ that Matt Farah review. It sounded like he was going to completely trash on the ATS but his opinion was very fair in pretty much all regards. He just says it how he feels and that's why I like his reviews.

@BOBFSPORT
Of course he is going to praise the Q50, that is what he drives. I just wonder why he spends so much time trolling the 3IS on our forums.

The 2014 bimmers came a long way on their interior design but seriously... better? That stinks of someone who has never driven a BMW. BMWs have very basic interior, always have. About the ONLY thing you can complement them on is their quality of leather. You don't pick a BMW for its interior. You pick a BMW because they used to be the ultimate driving machine. You accepted the fact it has basic interior and horrible reliability because their engines (still) and handling (used to be) the best in the business.
Old 01-19-14, 10:16 PM
BOBFSPORT
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Slust
LOL @ that Matt Farah review. It sounded like he was going to completely trash on the ATS but his opinion was very fair in pretty much all regards. He just says it how he feels and that's why I like his reviews.

@BOBFSPORT
Of course he is going to praise the Q50, that is what he drives. I just wonder why he spends so much time trolling the 3IS on our forums.

The 2014 bimmers came a long way on their interior design but seriously... better? That stinks of someone who has never driven a BMW. BMWs have very basic interior, always have. About the ONLY thing you can complement them on is their quality of leather. You don't pick a BMW for its interior. You pick a BMW because they used to be the ultimate driving machine. You accepted the fact it has basic interior and horrible reliability because their engines (still) and handling (used to be) the best in the business.
Ahhhhh now it all makes sense. I would have to really dislike my car to waste my time trolling the Q50 forums. My sincere condolences to you sir.

I agree Matt Farah and this guy Kevin Gordan (auto savant) are the best car reviewers on youtube.I think Kevins are good because reviewing cars isn't his primary occupation so he is not jaded by the industry. Its probably also the reason he hasn't reviewed the 2104 IS yet
Old 01-19-14, 11:16 PM
Slust
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have not seen any Kevin Gordon reviews so I will have to look for them. Shame he hasn't reviewed the 350.
Old 01-20-14, 09:51 AM
IS350S2K
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by chris2k5
You are entitled to your opinion on the looks but the quality of materials on the German cars are FAR superior to the materials used in the IS. Lexus cheapened the plastics and materials used. Even the Q50 has better materials.
Enjoy your Q50. Seems like you have some IS envy. You can always sell the Q and come join the Dark side.

Last edited by IS350S2K; 01-20-14 at 10:03 AM.
Old 01-20-14, 05:43 PM
chris2k5
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IS350S2K
Enjoy your Q50. Seems like you have some IS envy. You can always sell the Q and come join the Dark side.
The fact that you posted that really sums up your insecurity about Lexus. Shame some Lexus owners are like that.
Old 01-20-14, 05:45 PM
chris2k5
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by BOBFSPORT
This is also your opinion Chris. I have owned German and Japanese cars and yes the Germans use "heavier" materials than the Japanese but far superior they are not. My brothers audio control **** broke off twice on his 335i. He now has an IS350 (pictures of it in the Obsidian thread) and he has told me numerous times that the fit and finish of the IS interior is much better than the beemer. The only thing he misses from one car to the other is the forced induction engine. I don't know why you like the Q50 so much but my best friend is looking to sell his if you are in the market? Its my opinion and his that its the worst car in the class and the interior materials are in no way better than the IS. He blindly traded in his G37 for it and regrets that decision everyday. Infiniti went backwards with the Q50 (besides the styling). The ONLY thing we both like about the Q50 is the grille. It is no coincidence that the Q50 comes in last in all major reviews. The fact is that every car in the class has something performance related that is great ATS=Handling/Steering S4=Engine/Trans 335=Engine/Trans Q50=The Grille?! Its comical to me that this discussion has come down to the IS interior because in most reviews (including my own) its one of the greatest attributes this car has over others in the mid size segment.
Your post says it all. You agree that German materials are higher quality. Just as I said before, Lexus went the cheap route with the IS line this time around. Some plastics are straight out of the 2012-2014 Camry.
Old 01-20-14, 05:55 PM
BOBFSPORT
Lead Lap

Your post says it all. You agree that German materials are higher quality. Just as I said before, Lexus went the cheap route with the IS line this time around. Some plastics are straight out of the 2012-2014 Camry.
Again my sincere condolences to you Chris.
Old 01-20-14, 07:02 PM
KumaF
Driver

I just test drove the Q50 a couple days ago. And I would also have to offer you my condolences based on my experience.

Apart from the DAS which seems to have its own idea, the worst part of the car is the interior. The interior design is way too similar to recent Hyundai products (e.g. Sonata). The sales person tried to convince me that Hyundai copied the Q50's design while the fact was that the Sonata came out years before the Q50. Look at the pictures below and I think they are self-explaining.

Speaking of the fit and finish of the interior? The Q50 is a long way behind the 3IS or any Lexus in that regard. Just look at this picture taken from Infinit's own promotion video. (Link to the video:
)

Old 01-21-14, 01:18 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

For handling the ATS just rapes the IS350 FSport. The steering is probably one of the best electric steering in the class.
Wrong. The IS350F-Sport puts down faster slalom times than the ATS 3.6L as tested by Car and Driver.

At most,both cars are very competitive handling wise and both are a notch above the BMW 335i.

Stop being a troll. Enjoy your Infiniti and move on.
Old 01-21-14, 01:25 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by BOBFSPORT
I will say no more. I echo Matt Farahs review of the ATS.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3AHKMzjfKqI

Just for completion's sake, here's his review of the IS350 F-Sport :

tldr : He really really likes the IS as well especially the handling.
Old 01-21-14, 02:19 AM
TheShaddix
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't understand which part of the IS interior someone could possibly dislike? It's beautiful in its design. The materials are appropriate for the money. The LFA styled gauge (fsport) alone was what did it for me when deciding to get it. Now every car interior feels outdated to me and I've driven a lot of cars since I got my IS. Everytime I get back into it, it just feels modern and fresh, and no corners were cut in the materials for this price range. And the only thing I don't like is the center console is so easy to get scratched... I used to have a bmw 335i and I can say without a doubt that, although the materials there were decent (rubberized plastics everywhere, etc), they were not in any way better than the Lexus, and the bmw interiors are as boring and as basic as they get with their straight, flat dashes and outdated amber gauges. Especially the new gen 3 series...Anyone who argues the quality of that over the IS is blind. The only thing bmw has over lexus is their motors which are impossible to fault. And someone mentioned the leather? Well, unless it's that nice, smooth napa leather from the M cars, the regular leather is so thick and rough to the touch that it seems as if it were ripped off of an elephant, dyed, and laid over the seats right there on the spot. The regular IS leather (not the fsport) is so much nicer than the 3 series, all gen. I had a 250 IS lexus before the bmw and really missed that car once I traded it, and after having the bmw for about a year, I went back to Lexus with a clear conscience because something just feels right about it. I'm not biased towards any car and I'm never attached to my cars enough to keep them just on principle alone. But I really like the IS in terms of quality and feel. And why would someone be in this forum arguing about it? Whichever car you like, get that one. It's there for the taking. And why would there be any people in this forum who don't own a lexus, yet find the time to argue about it? It's silly. And, btw, another point to make is that for myself, and many others, I chose the IS for its great modding potential (looks wise, handling, etc), so arguing about how it handles vs. the ATS or anything else is useless for most people on this forum because once you change your suspension, rims and tires, the car behaves way different than stock.

Last edited by TheShaddix; 01-21-14 at 02:27 AM.
Old 01-21-14, 03:27 AM
LexFather

The ATS is clearly IS competition and good at that. It even has a red leather option and three engine choices.
Funny world today that the caddy and Lexus are the best driving in class.. Who would have think it?

It's well done and a proper RWD entry level luxury car with a V series coming.

For handling the ATS just rapes the IS350 FSport. The steering is probably one of the best electric steering in the class.
Don't you drive a q50, the worst handling and driving car in class? Ironic no?

Lexus went the cheap route... Hmmm..the engineering in the IS is from some of the LFA team. You see not everyone equates a car with a navigation system and power seats.
Old 01-21-14, 12:18 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Originally Posted by TheShaddix
I don't understand which part of the IS interior someone could possibly dislike?
Its all a question of style. I like the IS's interior, but personally I prefer more of a luxury atmosphere vs a sporty atmosphere. So, to me something like an ATS or a Q50 has a better interior.
Old 01-21-14, 02:14 PM
salvadorik
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TheShaddix
I don't understand which part of the IS interior someone could possibly dislike? It's beautiful in its design. The materials are appropriate for the money. The LFA styled gauge (fsport) alone was what did it for me when deciding to get it. Now every car interior feels outdated to me and I've driven a lot of cars since I got my IS. Everytime I get back into it, it just feels modern and fresh, and no corners were cut in the materials for this price range. And the only thing I don't like is the center console is so easy to get scratched... I used to have a bmw 335i and I can say without a doubt that, although the materials there were decent (rubberized plastics everywhere, etc), they were not in any way better than the Lexus, and the bmw interiors are as boring and as basic as they get with their straight, flat dashes and outdated amber gauges. Especially the new gen 3 series...Anyone who argues the quality of that over the IS is blind. The only thing bmw has over lexus is their motors which are impossible to fault. And someone mentioned the leather? Well, unless it's that nice, smooth napa leather from the M cars, the regular leather is so thick and rough to the touch that it seems as if it were ripped off of an elephant, dyed, and laid over the seats right there on the spot. The regular IS leather (not the fsport) is so much nicer than the 3 series, all gen. I had a 250 IS lexus before the bmw and really missed that car once I traded it, and after having the bmw for about a year, I went back to Lexus with a clear conscience because something just feels right about it. I'm not biased towards any car and I'm never attached to my cars enough to keep them just on principle alone. But I really like the IS in terms of quality and feel. And why would someone be in this forum arguing about it? Whichever car you like, get that one. It's there for the taking. And why would there be any people in this forum who don't own a lexus, yet find the time to argue about it? It's silly. And, btw, another point to make is that for myself, and many others, I chose the IS for its great modding potential (looks wise, handling, etc), so arguing about how it handles vs. the ATS or anything else is useless for most people on this forum because once you change your suspension, rims and tires, the car behaves way different than stock.
You have your points and I respect them but not all of us necessarily agree with them. That is the key. We can and should without any constraints voice our opinions regardless if they are negative and/or positive with respect to any aspects of IS350 so long as they are not frivolous/arbitrary/malicious etc. We are here creating a good resource for a potential buyer to get driver's insights so that they better understand what they are getting themselves into. I understand that this is Lexus forum but why cant we speak good about other brands? I certainly think we can. Being a Lexus owner does not mean that we must be always advocating Lexus in everything that it does, represents etc.

Now let me share my opinion if I may. IS350 has a decent interior. I cannot call it the best though. Certain things are good others are not so much. For example, I am not overly excited about the center console design. The extensive use of plastic tends to create rattling environment. Also the front is a bit tight roomwise. It seems too bulky to me. I Personally I think Audi has the best interior in buss and it is a clinic for other manufacturer's to learn from.

By the way, I thought 3IS has very limited modding potential (aside from cosmetical mods).
Old 01-21-14, 02:54 PM
BOBFSPORT
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by salvadorik
You have your points and I respect them but not all of us necessarily agree with them. That is the key. We can and should without any constraints voice our opinions regardless if they are negative and/or positive with respect to any aspects of IS350 so long as they are not frivolous/arbitrary/malicious etc. We are here creating a good resource for a potential buyer to get driver's insights so that they better understand what they are getting themselves into. I understand that this is Lexus forum but why cant we speak good about other brands? I certainly think we can. Being a Lexus owner does not mean that we must be always advocating Lexus in everything that it does, represents etc.

Now let me share my opinion if I may. IS350 has a decent interior. I cannot call it the best though. Certain things are good others are not so much. For example, I am not overly excited about the center console design. The extensive use of plastic tends to create rattling environment. Also the front is a bit tight roomwise. It seems too bulky to me. I Personally I think Audi has the best interior in buss and it is a clinic for other manufacturer's to learn from.

By the way, I thought 3IS has very limited modding potential (aside from cosmetical mods).
When did anyone say you can't voice your opinion ? Just because there are some owners who actually love their cars and don't want an Audi S4 doesn't mean we aren't allowing others to express thier opinions. I am not just saying that the Lexus IS interior is better than the Audi S4 because I own a Lexus IS. Rather it is the other way around. I own a Lexus IS because it is a better all around sports sedan than the S4 and the interior is the best in it's class. You respond as if those of us with positive view points of our own car didn't shop around for other cars in the class but rather we just blindly bought a Lexus. This is not the case. Again I bought an IS 350 F Sport because after hours of research and test drives it was the best. Again I am very sorry you don't love your car but don't claim that we are Lexus fanboys who don't let others have a difference of opinion because you can't afford an S4. It is a two way street my friend. We are all entitled to love or hate the car equally.

P.S. The rattles comment . Does your car have any? Or was that just a hypothetical comment??

Last edited by BOBFSPORT; 01-21-14 at 03:09 PM.

Quick Reply: Cadillac ATS vs. Lexus 350F Sport