IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models
View Poll Results: Would you seriously consider trading in your 3IS for the RC?
Yes, for the RC 350
3.17%
Yes, for the RC 300h
6.35%
Yes, if an RC F-Sport model is released
12.70%
Yes, for the RC F
23.81%
Maybe
6.35%
No
47.62%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Would you seriously consider trading in your 3IS for the RC?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-14, 04:52 PM
salvadorik
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BOBFSPORT
Many car enthusiasts prefer NA engines. Anyone who buys this car over an M4 will likely do so because they prefer high revving NA engines. Not the above reasons you stated. I am not arguing for or against either but just pointing that out. Also it's not more efficient in every aspect. NA engines last longer and are more realiable than a blown motor. Also I doubt someone who can afford this car will care much about Mpgs. Just some food for thought .
I personally prefer FI engine to NA ones. The reason is I get the pick torque right away and it stays flat all the way till red line. I have to admit it is a very addictive driving experience. Also it is a lot easier to get more power and torque from FI engines whereas the opposite is true with NA ones. In the real world very few people rev up the engines to get the max performance, they generally stay within 2-3K of RPM.

That said, however, I have to admit that on the paper RC-F looks very competitive to M4. 450HP for a coupe is more than enough. The active rear torque vectoring diff sounds pretty awesome to me. The exterior styling is very appealing to me as well, especially the front end. So I would be interested in this coupe should I be in the market for a performance car.
Old 01-17-14, 04:59 PM
UncleSpud
Pole Position

Many car enthusiasts prefer NA engines. Anyone who buys this car over an M4 will likely do so because they prefer high revving NA engines. Not the above reasons you stated. I am not arguing for or against either but just pointing that out. Also it's not more efficient in every aspect. NA engines last longer and are more realiable than a blown motor. Also I doubt someone who can afford this car will care much about Mpgs. Just some food for thought .
Bob, keep in mind that getting more grunt out of a motor with forced induction is a piece of cake compared to a normally aspirated motor. I have mixed feelings about turbocharging (lag, durability, and, in my case, heat soak because I live in the desert). But if you're driving an IS 250/350 you're screwed if you want more HP/TQ--unless you consider long tube headers as salvation (I don't). If you're driving a turbocharged WRX, 328/335, or Audi/VW, you'll get tremendous bang for buck in the aftermarket.

If Lexus goes with a turbocharged motor for the 250 next year, a good aftermarket tuner should be able to make it as fast (or faster) than those of us with normally aspirated 3.5's.
Old 01-17-14, 05:05 PM
TheShaddix
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Valid points. And I do like NA engines too. However, I was just hoping for lexus to step outside of their comfortable box this time. And as far as the longetivity of FI vs. NA, I can't agree with you on that. FI motors use lower compression, so they in fact experience similar amount of stress inside of the block as NA with high compression to make the same power. One just has to work less for it (FI) than an NA motor which has to be revved to 6k to make the same torque as the other one makes at 2.5-3k. And that, in theory, means it'll be less stressed by the driver, but that's a theory. Reality is FI motors get abused more than anything because they are so addicting! And I do like the instant torque feel of an NA motor once it's revved up, like the new IS, but I also miss the monster low end torque and pull of my 335i and the sound it made. That car, same hp as the IS, but it's a beast in comparison. It's really personal preference. But my gripe is over the fact that lexus isn't bringing anything new out other than the giant grill and futuristic headlights. And not even a dual clutch transmission. To each their own, I know. But if it's the new lexus vs m4, personally I'd go with the latter. Now, if they made an F version of the current IS, that would be a slightly different talk since it would appeal to the people who need 4 doors.

Last edited by TheShaddix; 01-17-14 at 05:08 PM.
Old 01-17-14, 05:40 PM
BOBFSPORT
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by salvadorik
I personally prefer FI engine to NA ones. The reason is I get the pick torque right away and it stays flat all the way till red line. I have to admit it is a very addictive driving experience. Also it is a lot easier to get more power and torque from FI engines whereas the opposite is true with NA ones. In the real world very few people rev up the engines to get the max performance, they generally stay within 2-3K of RPM.

That said, however, I have to admit that on the paper RC-F looks very competitive to M4. 450HP for a coupe is more than enough. The active rear torque vectoring diff sounds pretty awesome to me. The exterior styling is very appealing to me as well, especially the front end. So I would be interested in this coupe should I be in the market for a performance car.
I completely agree for everyday real world driving forced induction wins out. For a track/performance car high revving NA engines are best. Also if i didn't live in jersey at sea level i may not have considered the IS350.
Old 01-17-14, 05:43 PM
BOBFSPORT
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by UncleSpud
Bob, keep in mind that getting more grunt out of a motor with forced induction is a piece of cake compared to a normally aspirated motor. I have mixed feelings about turbocharging (lag, durability, and, in my case, heat soak because I live in the desert). But if you're driving an IS 250/350 you're screwed if you want more HP/TQ--unless you consider long tube headers as salvation (I don't). If you're driving a turbocharged WRX, 328/335, or Audi/VW, you'll get tremendous bang for buck in the aftermarket.

If Lexus goes with a turbocharged motor for the 250 next year, a good aftermarket tuner should be able to make it as fast (or faster) than those of us with normally aspirated 3.5's.
I am willing to bet that part of the reason it has taken so long for Lexus to come out with a forced induction motor is because they are working on ways to keep owners from tampering with the Turbo(s) via ECU flash or otherwise.

Last edited by BOBFSPORT; 01-17-14 at 07:52 PM.
Old 01-17-14, 05:44 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by TheShaddix
I still don't understand lexus's stubborness to go forced induction...It's just more efficient in every aspect. How will they compete with the bmw now which has that, plus much better mpg, and a dual clutch transmission...V8 vs V8 in the previous gen. made sense before. It just seems that Lexus wanted to throw something at the new BMW M car to compete with it but doesn't want to do anything to evolve their car and change the tried and proven V8 setup, which is great, but just not the smartest move in today's competing market. Making the front grill bigger doesn't exactly win anyone over. Most people are still trying to get used to the huge 3IS fsport grill, but once they see the RC-F, they'll just lose it! The only thing that would make someone choose this car over bmw is if they wanted to stay loyal to the brand for reliability reasons and (arguably) better quality. But if i were spending this kind of money, m3 or m4 would be my choice hands down. Plus, as others are saying, 2 doors just isn't practical for most people. I'm just ranting because I really wanted Lexus to bring something new to the table like they did with the supra. Something special. And they didn't do anyone any favors with the LFA, which 99% of the world can't even afford.
You don't have to wait long, 2014 sees a 2.0T coming to the NX first then can easily spread throughout the line. And a TTV6 and V8 are being developed - expect those probably for 2016 models in 2015 but that is just speculation.

While DCT's are cool and I'd like to see them in higher performance Lexus's. The Direct Shift 8-Speed is perfect though. While there are hotter Lexus's than others, one key to remember is they carry a luxury badge. They need refinement and good daily driver manners. DCT's are a bit jerky at low speeds vs conventional autos.

This new 5.0L V8 will be the last of its kind and is a "bridge" motor to keep people satisfied until the next generation powertrains are available.

That's YOUR opinion, and everyones opinion on design is subjective, so unless you're speaking on behalf of mankind, it has no merit. Maybe word it differently

Lexus did bring something, a dedicated coupe which they haven't had since the 90s and the SC430 was more a niche, and of course then it went on hiatus. I think you're just having a hard time like others I've seen ranting on the purpose/existance of the RC. This is not a racecar ike the FT-1/Supra is meant to be. This first and foremost a luxury badge coupe with a heated up version to compete in the coveted performance grouping of M, AMG, RS, V, R and F.

Another car many don't understand. The LFA was a 10 year project and despite adversity was actually built. At $400,000 it's actually a bargain because it cost Toyota/Lexus over $1M to make each one. They lost a lot of money. But specialty cars like this or the S65 AMG for example aren't meant to sell in big numbers. They hold the banners for the whole line. A status and brand image creater. Plus they demonstrate the automaker's apex in engineering, innovation, technology etc.. They are very important. And for the LFA, this isn't some common Ferrari. There are 500 and only 500. So those who are blessed to buy one are buying into exclusivity.

Last edited by Hoovey689; 01-17-14 at 05:47 PM.
Old 01-17-14, 05:48 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 409 Likes on 337 Posts

I would trade it in a heartbeat! Unfortunately I don't have an IS, at least not yet.

I don't care which model RC it is. I just want it slammed on some nice wheels and an aggressive exhaust.
Old 01-17-14, 06:07 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Kira X
I would trade it in a heartbeat! Unfortunately I don't have an IS, at least not yet.

I don't care which model RC it is. I just want it slammed on some nice wheels and an aggressive exhaust.
would you trade one of your vehicles in your sig below or just add to the collection?
Old 01-17-14, 06:19 PM
UncleSpud
Pole Position

I completely agree for everyday real world driving forced induction wins out. For a track/performance car high revving NA engines are best. Also if i didn't live in jersey at sea level i may not have considered the IS350.
Good point Bob. Altitude is poison to NA motors. In 2012, I moved from the western slope of the Rockies (altitude 6000 feet) to SE Nevada (altitude 1600 feet) and the performance difference in my normally aspirated Mustang GT was significant (I estimated a 15 to 20% increase via butt dyno). Had I remained at altitude, I wouldn't have considered the IS 350 F Sport. Some years ago, I test drove an S2000 near Aspen and the thin air made it perform like a '76 Chevette. As for my GT, my high altitude workaround was a $389 programmer from American Muscle which gave me 20 more HP at the wheels--if only we could get a similar device for our IS 250/350's.
Old 01-19-14, 05:08 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

I would seriously consider the RC if an F-sport model appears and has a similar narrower spindle grill as the RC-F. I'm just not getting the regular RC's "gaping maw meets droopy mustache" in the lower portion, at least in pictures.
Attached Thumbnails Would you seriously consider trading in your 3IS for the RC?-rcgaping.jpg  

Last edited by corradoMR2; 01-19-14 at 05:14 AM.
Old 01-19-14, 05:39 AM
Slust
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At first the RC350 is what I wanted. The more I see it though the less I become enchanted by it. I would probably have to see it in person much like how I had to see the 3IS in person to actually like it.
Old 01-19-14, 05:58 AM
SexyElaine
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My Lexus salesman recently called to see how my IS was and to wish me a Happy New Year ........ i figured it was the best time for me to let him know that once my lease is up on my 350 F Sport I'd be very much interested in the RC F sport

If the next few years go well and i get to save enough $$$ then i'd be more than happy to jump into a RC F !
Old 01-19-14, 07:26 AM
Bass Mech
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

this is a bad poll, because i am leasing, ill be trading in for something and the RCF will be a consideration but if i had purchased my car the answer is likely no.
Old 01-19-14, 07:30 AM
jhs82
Lead Lap

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

No way. Don't like the front end, and can't have a 2-door as my only car.
Old 01-19-14, 08:14 AM
WWM
Rookie

I like the looks but I wouldn't trade for an RC until they upgrade the 350 drivetrain. Not really interested in trading my IS350 for an RC350 with the same 3.5L V6. What I'd really like is an FI 6 cylinder making ~330bhp and AWD. If they do that and the price is no more than 3-4k more than the IS350, I'm sold.

Quick Reply: Would you seriously consider trading in your 3IS for the RC?