IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

0.1 Second Shifts?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-14, 01:41 PM
Syan48306
Rookie

Received 19 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 0.1 Second Shifts?

Does the 2014 IS350 F-Sport with the 8 speed transmission have the 0.1 second shifts carried over from the IS F? Both cars have the same transmission. I drove an F-Sport IS350 AWD which only had the 6 speed and that felt awfully slow to shift.

Does the 8 speed shift faster in Sport S or S+ modes or does it only lock up the torque converter in 2-8 in manual paddle shifting mode? Actually, is it even direct shift like the ISF, locking torque converter for 2-8?
Old 01-16-14, 06:30 PM
jat0223
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

The transmission is based on the one in the isf. According to the specs, it doesn't shift as fast but it does lock up the converter from gears 2-8. Also unlike the one in the isf, it shifts for you at red line even in manual mode.
Old 01-17-14, 03:40 AM
Syan48306
Rookie

Originally Posted by jat0223
The transmission is based on the one in the isf. According to the specs, it doesn't shift as fast but it does lock up the converter from gears 2-8. Also unlike the one in the isf, it shifts for you at red line even in manual mode.

Not even in Sport S+ mode?
Old 01-17-14, 07:08 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

dunno actual times but in Sport+ the transmission is a bit more aggressive, shift time is much faster than my 2IS
Old 01-17-14, 08:08 AM
JGard18
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How are you defining shift times? Not from when you tell the car to shift to when it actually does, right? Because if it's just time spent between gears, I'd say it's awfully quick, maybe 0.1 seconds. You really don't feel any downtime of power in between gears, as I think the transmission is doing a bit of clutch slipping to disengage and engage the two gears at the same time.
Old 01-17-14, 08:53 AM
XpediencY
Pit Crew

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I remember reading 0.2 seconds.

Here's something it is:

http://www2.toyota.co.jp/en/news/feature/20130516.pdf

The adoption of an eight-speed Sport Direct Shift (SPDS) transmission in the IS 350 provides the smooth acceleration of a
multi-speed automatic transmission as well as a sense of direct operation in the M-position, in which gears can shift in as
little as 0.2 seconds.
Old 01-17-14, 11:46 AM
TheShaddix
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

From my experience so far I can report that it shifts really fast for an auto, but not all the gears shift with the same quickness. This is for manual mode, sport +. First to second is instant, 0 lag just like with dct on other cars, which is quite impressive, second to third - there is a slight lag which is around 0.2 seconds I'm guessing, not sure what the reason is for that, and some times it's actually faster than the others. And call me crazy, but once I replaced the intake with Takeda, the lag nearly disappeared, and I thought it was due to the air flow being smoother without the added sound generator...I really noticed this lag before, now it's nearly non existent. Then shifting third to fourth is around 0.1, if not instant, def. faster than 2-3 at all times, then some lag in the upper gears but nothing obvious, just really being picky here. I'm really impressed with this transmission, and having driven the ISF twice, one from a friend and another brand new from the dealership (2012 model), I can confirm that the shifts are identical. The transmission is the same, just a bit updated if anything. The ISF also has a bit of hesitation in certain gears and exact same feel to it like it powershifts through the gears instead of slipping into them like other cars. I also noticed there is not a bit of difference between shift times in any modes, even in ECO mode it shifts really fast. Not sure what they meant by quicker shifts in sport mode. I think that only matters if you're in auto mode, so it becomes more harsh in sport+. Just to note, I'm really particular about shifting times, and having driven (and ridden in) several cars with dual clutch (e92 m3, m5 (2013), GTR, golf gti), I was looking for something similar as far as shifting times. When I test drove the new is350 fsport, I was hooked right away, and still can't believe how it shifts so quickly without being a dct. I recently test drove the new cadillac cts, and the older cts-v, and although they do shift kind of fast, it's nothing like the IS, and it was really apparent once I got back into my car. The only gripe I have with the lexus is it takes forever to downshift in manual mode from 8th to 4th gears on the freeway...It has to go through all the gears, and surprisingly it doesn't do that in auto mode, it goes to 6th and then 4th in less than a second. But if you're on a canyon road and drop a gear or two at a time, it's perfect. And I noticed if you let off the gas when downshifting, even if you're just cruising, it will drop gears smoothly, but if you're pressing it even slightly, it gets choppy and slow, as if it gets confused how much to rev up...ISF was the same way, just sounded much better overall during downshifts.

Last edited by TheShaddix; 01-17-14 at 11:54 AM.
Old 01-17-14, 02:54 PM
jat0223
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Syan48306
Not even in Sport S+ mode?
Unfortunately in all modes.
Old 01-17-14, 02:59 PM
Slust
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Even a BMW will shift for you at Redline in manual mode. It's to protect the engine from stupid drivers who just saw F&F and think they're Vin Diesal.

The fact the car will go into redline is a huge improvement as my 2IS would not.

You can see it going into redline @730 and you can you hear it IN redline @816. I agree with pretty much everything Matt Farah said - both the good points and the bad points.

Last edited by Slust; 01-17-14 at 03:27 PM.
Old 01-17-14, 03:45 PM
Syan48306
Rookie

Originally Posted by TheShaddix
From my experience so far I can report that it shifts really fast for an auto, but not all the gears shift with the same quickness. This is for manual mode, sport +. First to second is instant, 0 lag just like with dct on other cars, which is quite impressive, second to third - there is a slight lag which is around 0.2 seconds I'm guessing, not sure what the reason is for that, and some times it's actually faster than the others. And call me crazy, but once I replaced the intake with Takeda, the lag nearly disappeared, and I thought it was due to the air flow being smoother without the added sound generator...I really noticed this lag before, now it's nearly non existent. Then shifting third to fourth is around 0.1, if not instant, def. faster than 2-3 at all times, then some lag in the upper gears but nothing obvious, just really being picky here. I'm really impressed with this transmission, and having driven the ISF twice, one from a friend and another brand new from the dealership (2012 model), I can confirm that the shifts are identical. The transmission is the same, just a bit updated if anything. The ISF also has a bit of hesitation in certain gears and exact same feel to it like it powershifts through the gears instead of slipping into them like other cars. I also noticed there is not a bit of difference between shift times in any modes, even in ECO mode it shifts really fast. Not sure what they meant by quicker shifts in sport mode. I think that only matters if you're in auto mode, so it becomes more harsh in sport+. Just to note, I'm really particular about shifting times, and having driven (and ridden in) several cars with dual clutch (e92 m3, m5 (2013), GTR, golf gti), I was looking for something similar as far as shifting times. When I test drove the new is350 fsport, I was hooked right away, and still can't believe how it shifts so quickly without being a dct. I recently test drove the new cadillac cts, and the older cts-v, and although they do shift kind of fast, it's nothing like the IS, and it was really apparent once I got back into my car. The only gripe I have with the lexus is it takes forever to downshift in manual mode from 8th to 4th gears on the freeway...It has to go through all the gears, and surprisingly it doesn't do that in auto mode, it goes to 6th and then 4th in less than a second. But if you're on a canyon road and drop a gear or two at a time, it's perfect. And I noticed if you let off the gas when downshifting, even if you're just cruising, it will drop gears smoothly, but if you're pressing it even slightly, it gets choppy and slow, as if it gets confused how much to rev up...ISF was the same way, just sounded much better overall during downshifts.
So what's your opinion about how fast it shifts in normal or sport mode while in automatic? I drive a manual IS300 so it always feels rubberbandy and slow for most automatic cards. Not that they're necessarily slower than me shifting a manual, most automatics just feel slow as the RPM slowly drops back down as it up shifts.

How fast is the shifting in automatic?
Old 01-17-14, 05:22 PM
TheShaddix
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I was talking merely about when you pull the paddle shifter and the time it takes to actually react and shift the gear, like with dual clutch there is 0 lag, it's as fast as you can pull the paddle. With the IS, well, as I explained earlier. Now, in auto mode you won't notice any lag at all. Let's say you punch it from a dig, every gear will just shift immediately as the redline is reached, or when you let off gas slightly. There is no slippage like on most auto cars where it eases into the gear instead of that direct shift feel like this one has. Once the rpm drop for the next gear, they climb right away. It feels seamless other than that harsh power shift feel between the gears (which is awesome). But when in sport mode, I switch to manual anyway. I really like the way it shifts with the paddles. I just wish it downshifted a bit better (smoother & faster) in manual, but it's all good. And like I said, somehow after I installed my intake the shifts became better. Could be all in my head, but what's the difference to me!

Last edited by TheShaddix; 01-17-14 at 05:26 PM.