IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Converted from BMW to Lexus

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-14, 04:45 PM
bradtopp
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Converted from BMW to Lexus

Actually, we have owned several Lexus vehicles in the past (RX, 2 IS250's, 2 GS's) but I had never owned a new BMW. Let me say owning the BMW was an experience. The tipping point for me was the constant battery issues in my 2013 335i. Anytime the weather turned cold I'd start getting battery warnings, and either the car wouldn't start or certain "systems" such as the defroster, heater, radio would be disabled because iDrive apparently is smarter than me. The advice from the dealership ... go buy a trickle charger and plug it in every night or take your car for an extra 10 mile drive every day at highway speeds. Great advice for a $50K car. Beautiful car, good performer, but being back in a Lexus reminds me why I should have stayed here in the first place.

I love my 2014 IS350 F-Sport. The ride is more compliant, the interior is several classes above the BMW, Mark Levinson is far superior to the Harmon Kardon I had, and the seats are perfect for me. I am completely in awe of the reviews I have read where people think the ride quality is harsh or choppy in the F-Sport. All they need to do is go drive a BMW 3-series to see they are wrong. Now I do believe iDrive is a better system overall in the way it is organized. And one thing the BMW has over Lexus is the great sound of the exhaust with their inline 6 cylinder. It just sounds amazing.

I haven't had the car long enough to say much more at this point but I'm sure I will be back to give an update.

Glad to be in a Lexus, again.

Last edited by bradtopp; 01-15-14 at 05:37 PM.
Old 01-15-14, 05:06 PM
jlam86
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Welcome back! I went from a v8 X5 to an isf because I was so tired out the frequency it broke down. The car was in the shop every 1.5 months and I babied that thing in fear that something would go wrong. Had the car for a total of 11000kms and hopped into something totally different, but never regretted! Love my isf to iddy biddy pieces .
Old 01-15-14, 05:16 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by bradtopp
Actually, we have owned several Lexus vehicles in the past (RX, 2 IS250's, 2 GS's but I had never owned a new BMW. Let me say owning the BMW was an experience. The tipping point for me was the constant battery issues in my 2013 335i. Anytime the weather turned cold I'd start getting battery warnings, and either the car wouldn't start or certain "systems" such as the defroster, heater, radio would be disabled because iDrive apparently is smarter than me. The advice from the dealership ... go buy a trickle charger and plug it in every night or take your car for an extra 10 mile drive every day at highway speeds. Great advice for a $50K car. Beautiful car, good performer, but being back in a Lexus reminds me why I should have stayed here in the first place.

I love my 2014 IS350 F-Sport. The ride is more compliant, the interior is several classes above the BMW, Mark Levinson is far superior to the Harmon Kardon I had, and the seats are perfect for me. I am completely in awe of the reviews I have read where people think the ride quality is harsh or choppy in the F-Sport. All they need to do is go drive a BMW 3-series to see they are wrong. Now I do believe iDrive is a better system overall in the way it is organized. And one thing the BMW has over Lexus is the great sound of the exhaust with their inline 6 cylinder. It just sounds amazing.

I haven't had the car long enough to say much more at this point but I'm sure I will be back to give an update.

Like the prodigal son, welcome back, all is forgiven.

If you haven't already check out this thread and vote https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...tion-poll.html
Old 01-15-14, 05:40 PM
bradtopp
Pit Crew

Thanks, all. I voted in the other thread already
Old 01-15-14, 05:46 PM
BOBFSPORT
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome Back! I completely agree although the intake sounds great Lexus has to stop muffling its exhaust sound! i can hear a BMW or Infiniti from a mile down the road. BMW wanted you to treat your car like a motorcycle in winter and keep the battery on a trickle charger? The fact that they didn't have a fix for your issue is laughable.
Old 01-15-14, 06:17 PM
bradtopp
Pit Crew

Yes, you are correct. The terrible part is once I researched this issue I found it is experienced by a very large number of BMW owners who live in areas with cold seasons.

I hate to admit it but I do have a BMW motorcycle in my garage on a trickle charger right now. But that is only because I can't ride with snow on the ground and I expect the battery to go dead if I don't ride it for weeks at a time. I drove my BMW car every day in town and on the highway and it still had this issue.

This is my 3rd BMW Motorcycle. They seem to be much more bulletproof than the cars. I hope I didn't just jinx myself!

Originally Posted by BOBFSPORT
Welcome Back! I completely agree although the intake sounds great Lexus has to stop muffling its exhaust sound! i can hear a BMW or Infiniti from a mile down the road. BMW wanted you to treat your car like a motorcycle in winter and keep the battery on a trickle charger? The fact that they didn't have a fix for your issue is laughable.
Old 01-15-14, 07:58 PM
BOBFSPORT
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

S1000rr??.....

Last edited by BOBFSPORT; 01-15-14 at 08:16 PM.
Old 01-15-14, 08:08 PM
mk4umha
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I too dislike BMW Cars, it took a bit of faith to pick up a BMW Motorcycle, let alone a 2nd BMW Bike.

Toyota/Lexus FTW.
Old 01-15-14, 08:41 PM
DreLo
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bradtopp
Actually, we have owned several Lexus vehicles in the past (RX, 2 IS250's, 2 GS's) but I had never owned a new BMW. Let me say owning the BMW was an experience. The tipping point for me was the constant battery issues in my 2013 335i. Anytime the weather turned cold I'd start getting battery warnings, and either the car wouldn't start or certain "systems" such as the defroster, heater, radio would be disabled because iDrive apparently is smarter than me. The advice from the dealership ... go buy a trickle charger and plug it in every night or take your car for an extra 10 mile drive every day at highway speeds. Great advice for a $50K car. Beautiful car, good performer, but being back in a Lexus reminds me why I should have stayed here in the first place.

I agree with just about everything you stated. I drove the A4, and the 328i. Neither compared to the ride quality of the IS250. Sure they're both faster in a straight line but the handling just couldn't compare. I'm not racing anybody so I don't care about how quickly I can get up to speed, I care about how a car handles down a curvy road because that's where the fun is. I also agree that the MM package is weaker in the Lexus though, I've gotten used to it but I think the A4 had the most intuitive system. Still, not enough to make me choose it over the IS250. Handling on the IS is just superb, the interior is gorgeous and comfortable and the Germans are not even close to matching the reliability that Lexus offers.

PS - welcome back my friend.
Old 01-16-14, 03:42 AM
bradtopp
Pit Crew

K1600GTL. It's a beast.

Originally Posted by BOBFSPORT
S1000rr??.....