IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Audi Dealership absurd logic to make me pick them over Lexus.

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-14, 03:17 PM
Tim1988
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi Dealership absurd logic to make me pick them over Lexus.

I am currently shopping for a new Lexus IS or Audi A4.
I went to the Audi Dealership and told them some of my concerns regarding Audi Reliability issues in the past.

They told me that 'well don't worry just lease, don't buy' 'In a lease..everything is warranty, so Audi is the best' 'Just lease for 3 years, nothing will go wrong within 36k Miles.. I promise'.

What the hell kind of Audi logic is this? What about someone who DON'T want to lease? Maybe I want to buy and own a car to fix it up?
Old 01-15-14, 03:21 PM
semoquer
Rookie

lol poor salesman... at least he's being honest. If you are a DIY guy I would not suggest you buy any german vehicles.. they are engineering genius, but servicing them on your own is difficult and requires many special tools.
Old 01-15-14, 03:27 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

So then...Lexus it is?
Old 01-15-14, 03:31 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Tim1988
I went to the Audi Dealership and told them some of my concerns regarding Audi Reliability issues in the past.

They told me that 'well don't worry just lease, don't buy' 'In a lease..everything is warranty, so Audi is the best' 'Just lease for 3 years, nothing will go wrong within 36k Miles.. I promise'.

What the hell kind of Audi logic is this? What about someone who DON'T want to lease? Maybe I want to buy and own a car to fix it up?
A friend has a 2012 A4 Avant and at 20,000 needed new piston rings

still loves his car though.

--

A4 is due for a remodel soonish btw
Old 01-15-14, 03:33 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I guess when you walk in an Audi dealership and say what you did,the salesman didn't want to debate you.So he said what he said.
Old 01-15-14, 03:45 PM
aTeAse
Lead Lap

He's actually a very good salesman, and he was being very honest with you.

Why he's a good salesman? Due to your concerns, he's asking you to lease, not buy(he already know's you wouldn't buy so he's pushing for a lease). It's a win-win for him.
Old 01-15-14, 04:05 PM
Tim1988
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by aTeAse
He's actually a very good salesman, and he was being very honest with you.

Why he's a good salesman? Due to your concerns, he's asking you to lease, not buy(he already know's you wouldn't buy so he's pushing for a lease). It's a win-win for him.
I appreciated his honesty.I knew Audi always had issues with reliability., but was hoping to be convinced otherwise.
I asked the service department from another Audi Dealership and they openly admitted the oil consumption issue with 2009-2011 models. Basically there is a chance your Audi would be eating up oil and you have to top it off every 2-3 k miles.

Audi make beautiful cars, but there is a reason they are so far behind in sales against BMW/MERCEDES despite being in the same tier.

Among Luxury Car buyers, 2010-2013(upon reading reports) it's been.
BMW
Mercedes
Lexus

than

Audi/Acura/Infiniti/Cad

Volvo/Lincoln

Audi belongs in that 1st group, but was never able to crack it in the US Market.
Old 01-15-14, 04:46 PM
aTeAse
Lead Lap

Out of all that was mentioned.. Audi's line of car's cost more than their competitors.
Old 01-15-14, 04:50 PM
salvadorik
Lead Lap

OP, I am current/former Audi owner and I can share with you about my experience and how I rank them.

Lately Audi has improved dramatically in terms of reliability. Read the latest consumerreports and you will see that yourself. That engine in Audi A4 is believed to be 2.0T turbo charged four cylinder engine. All I can say it is an awesome engine (it has been selected several years on Wards 10 best engines) paired to ZF's 8 speed tiptronic transmission. The powertrain in Audi A4 is by far better powertrain than that what Lexus offers in it current IS lineup. The fit and finish in Audi is the best in class and MMI system is the most intuitive as well. They have Google Earth overlay and it is awesome! The problem with all Audis and all German cars for that matter is the electronic components of the car. Unfortunately german car electric part suppliers (such as Siemens, Bosch etc) don't supply the reliable parts and they often fail. But powertrain is bullet proof in Audi vehicles. Their Quattro all wheel system is the best system that you can get in this current market.

I personally lemoned my 2012 A6 with 3.0T engine precisely because of the electrical nightmare that I had with it. I chose 3IS because it is cheaper and the most reliable. But I am already getting bored with it. It just did not wowed me as Audi did. It is all up to you but I would wait a bit as I know there is A3 and S3 coming this spring, which will bring revamped Audi Connect with 3D graphics and LTE connection. Just saying.

And I believe Audi is ranked second after BMW in sales numbers. Mercedes is behind Audi. Pls correct me if I am wrong.
Old 01-15-14, 04:53 PM
salvadorik
Lead Lap

Out of all that was mentioned.. Audi's line of car's cost more than their competitors.
That is not true. A comparably equipped bmw 328i will cost more than Audi A4. Audi is the cheapest among mighty three German car makers.
Old 01-15-14, 04:54 PM
ISISGUY
Rookie

Had the opposite happen to me, Lexus sales guy wanted me to lease, said it made most sense in terms of monthly payment. Then he realized I wasn't stupid and I could add on my own. Sales guys say some smart and dumb things sometimes.

Anyway, I also considered an A4, really liked it, especially the quattro awd, pretty much had agreed to terms but then deal fell through because they couldn't get the exact options I wanted. I went over to lexus sat in the IS and couldn't imagine going back just based on the interior. Add in some peace of mind with reliability and I was sold!

Absolutely no regrets with my IS, even when I see an A4 on the road!
Old 01-15-14, 05:02 PM
IS350S2K
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Being a former Audi owner and still an enthusiast (I love Audis in general.), I agree about leasing a German car and lease or buying the Lexus. While my previous Audi S4 was problem free until I sold it 2 years later, my friend's S4 was not. We bought our cars new about the same time. However, I would still consider another Audi in the future. I went with the IS because the Audi line looked tired.
Old 01-15-14, 05:04 PM
aTeAse
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by salvadorik
That is not true. A comparably equipped bmw 328i will cost more than Audi A4. Audi is the cheapest among mighty three German car makers.
The rest of their car's... are very pricey..
Old 01-15-14, 05:10 PM
salvadorik
Lead Lap

The rest of their car's... are very pricey..
compare apples to apples:

bmw 328i Mercedes C 250 and Audi A4 (cheapest Audi)
bmw 535i Mercedes E350 and Audi A6 3.0T (cheapest Audi)
bmw 750i Mercedes S550 and A8 4.0T (cheapest Audi again)

do the research and you will see.

now if you ask me about the Lexus then yes Lexus is the cheapest among all four
Old 01-15-14, 05:27 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by Tim1988

Man, these sales reps will twist the truth to make the sale. Why would I spend $50K on the car if it risks leaving me stranded even if it's under warranty? Geez that's reassuring! Point is, I DON'T ever want to rely on the warranty. And you know about Murphy's Law - it will happen when you're most pressed for time so unless his "warranty" offer includes a 24/7 tow truck following me, deal's off.

Quick Reply: Audi Dealership absurd logic to make me pick them over Lexus.