IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Please Help!! Car accident question and what's this plastic covering on car's side?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-14, 08:53 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by DizzyEdge
Hmm..guess the dealer lied to me.
He tried to charge me for it...but i said they can go ahead and take off the film then.
He left it on & took off the extra $500.
LOL.
As long as we are talking about only the two pieces on the sides of the car, at the rear door. This doesn't include any coverage on the front. The side coverings are provided on all of our cars at no additional charge, at least that's how it was explained to me. Perhaps someone else can comment.
Old 01-16-14, 08:58 AM
DexRox512
Turkey Killer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Listen to Bass Mech and only him...he knows his stuff. And leave the scotch guard on...it's there for a reason and you'll regret it later.
Old 01-16-14, 09:14 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by DexRox512
And leave the scotch guard on...it's there for a reason and you'll regret it later.
If I can find a way to get it clean, then I'll leave it on, but otherwise I disagree about regretting taking it off. I'd much rather the threat of a rock chip than the guaranteed black outline around this protector on my white car. It sticks out and is very visible as you walk up to my car.
Old 01-16-14, 11:00 AM
AdvanSLF
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you all have been great and i can't thank you enough. i do value everyone's opinion, especially those who have direct experience dealing with things like auto insurance as apart of their livelihood.

you were right Bass Mech, while i was on the phone yesterday, my insurance company told me i could file a claim with them or do it through the other party's insurance agency. i said i would go with the latter, and my agency considered this temp. closed..if until the other party won't admit fault or pay, then my comp said to contact them again and get them involved. i mean the woman rear ended me.. thats pretty obvious who's at fault--lucky for us.

i really hate that stupid film on the rear doors... especially when it rains dirt/debris get built up there... i wish i had a darker color now because of that. but what can you do right? i do agree that it was put there for a reason and maybe its best to just leave it there for now.. maybe in a couple years when the car is wearing down and there are unpreventative chips, scrapes, scratches on other parts of the car, maybe then i'll be content with removing the film.

but i do have one question for those with films and clear bras.... how does this affect the paint on the areas that don't have the film? obviously, the sun wears down your car over time, so would the areas that don't have film look more dull compared to the areas that have film in like 2-3 years time?
Old 01-16-14, 03:07 PM
Bass Mech
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Happy to help! There isn't much I don't know about insurance! I always find it funny how on every car form when the topic comes up about insurance so many experts chime in who don't know anything about insurance. Taking the wrong advice when it comes to insurance usually costs you money, not to mention time and aggravation.

And for a claim like this I'm sure it will work out fine but consider dropping geico if you ever get into an injury claim you'll wish you had better insurance.
Old 01-16-14, 03:40 PM
350speed
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I removed the clear plastic film and it looks much cleaner now. I just heat it up a little using heat gun (do not heat it too long otherwise you have to use goo gone after to clean up the residue) . I tried to remove the smaller piece without heating it up with no issue. Therefore, the heat gun is not necessary.
Old 01-16-14, 04:37 PM
doodlebug
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by AdvanSLF
but i do have one question for those with films and clear bras.... how does this affect the paint on the areas that don't have the film? obviously, the sun wears down your car over time, so would the areas that don't have film look more dull compared to the areas that have film in like 2-3 years time?
My previous car had a clear bra on the hood from the dealer (junk). After about 3 years, the bra had yellowed and needed to be replaced. We replaced it ourselves and I could not tell any difference in the paint where the bra was and wasn't. I was/am very particular about keeping wax on the car (& bra) at all times; so, I'm sure this helped keep it protected.