IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Toronto [GTA] 3IS Members Roll Call

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-14, 07:17 AM
Jagstyles
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

RBC Insurance has the best rates going. I just priced my insurance out with 10 insurance companies and the lowest came in at $1,500/Yr, then I priced it out with RBC Insurance, it's $1,100/Yr. Check out RBC Insurance guys and do it online so you get the 5% online quote discount in perpetuity i.e.: they apply the 5% discount every year you renew the policy, not just in the first year.

We have our auto & home insurance with them. Combined for my wife's 2012 Q5 and the 2015 Lexus IS 350 AWD, we will be paying $2,040/Yr taxes included for the vehicles and $59/Mth for Home Insurance (we have a pool and home office).

We reside in the Oakville area. We are both 41 years of age in case anyone was wondering as rates do vary by age and location.
Old 08-30-14, 11:13 AM
IS3Fguy
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jagstyles
IS3FGuy,

Would it be possible for you to post a close-up picture of your license plate cover and zip tie? I want to see just how you went about doing it and whether it's simply to insert the zip ties around the grill and tighten.

AndyL,

Thanks for posting that picture. I agree, it seems there could be some longer term consequences of using the tow hook setup for the license plate cover.
Originally Posted by OrionLex
Thank you very much - I'm totally gonna mount mine in the same position!! Do you have any close-up pics that show how you mounted it with zip ties?

Also, had another thought - are there any sensors in that lower area that this mounting position could possibly interfere with, such as for park assist, radar cruise control / precollision, lane departure alert, etc.?
As I promised, here is the close up pic with the two zip ties

Attachment 496330
Old 09-01-14, 04:30 PM
Jagstyles
Rookie

Is that the standard license plate attachment that comes from the dealership? Looks nice and clean, I like your setup.

Originally Posted by IS3Fguy
As I promised, here is the close up pic with the two zip ties

Old 09-02-14, 06:23 AM
IS3F
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AndyL
This is the inside view of the tow hole for a regular 3IS and I am sure the inside structure is very similar for the F-Sport one.

Behind the towhole cover, there are some styrofoam and unpainted metal. So with that exposed, salt damage may be possible.
Has anyone been able to source a rubber grommet etc that would cover up this hole?
Old 09-02-14, 08:34 AM
IS3Fguy
Pit Crew

Is that the standard license plate attachment that comes from the dealership? Looks nice and clean, I like your setup.
That is not the one from dealership. The one from dealership is longer and will not fit perfectly with the shape of the license plate.

I got this bracket from Canadian tire.
Old 09-08-14, 06:46 AM
Jagstyles
Rookie

Forgot to ask how you secured the license plate & license plate cover to the bracket. Did you use standard screws that come for the license plates with the vehicle?

Thanks, going to CDN Tire today to see if I can find the same bracket, pick up my new car tomorrow.

Originally Posted by IS3Fguy
That is not the one from dealership. The one from dealership is longer and will not fit perfectly with the shape of the license plate.

I got this bracket from Canadian tire.
Old 09-08-14, 11:16 AM
dolfan13
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by IS3F
Has anyone been able to source a rubber grommet etc that would cover up this hole?
The only grommet I could find in the GTA was at Rona. Here are some pics (this is with the Grimmspeed kit).

Old 09-09-14, 04:34 AM
IS3Fguy
Pit Crew

Forgot to ask how you secured the license plate & license plate cover to the bracket. Did you use standard screws that come for the license plates with the vehicle?

Thanks, going to CDN Tire today to see if I can find the same bracket, pick up my new car tomorrow.
No don't use the standard screw. Use plastic screws. My dealers give me plastic screws for the back license plate. I bought plastic/nylon screws from Canadian tire. It is at the same area where they sell the license plate bracket. I avoid metal screws all together to attach license plate to the body of my car.
Old 09-09-14, 05:46 AM
IS3F
Driver

Originally Posted by dolfan13
The only grommet I could find in the GTA was at Rona. Here are some pics (this is with the Grimmspeed kit).

That looks pretty good. I would need to order a spare cover so I don't trash my original one. Do you have some steps on what exactly you did to get that done? Like a DIY?
Old 09-09-14, 06:14 PM
dolfan13
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by IS3F
That looks pretty good. I would need to order a spare cover so I don't trash my original one. Do you have some steps on what exactly you did to get that done? Like a DIY?
I actually used another CL member's idea. Here's the post with the DIY info. I drilled into the existing cover. If you ever need a replacement when/if returning the car to the dealer off lease, you can just buy another one. The dealer might not even care at that point!

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ics-sorry.html
Old 09-10-14, 03:15 AM
dortok
Driver School Candidate

I'm just waiting for my 2015 to come in. I noticed on the website it says All-Season mats are included. Does the car come with the rubber mats as well as carpet mats?
Old 09-10-14, 06:39 AM
dolfan13
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dortok
I'm just waiting for my 2015 to come in. I noticed on the website it says All-Season mats are included. Does the car come with the rubber mats as well as carpet mats?
My 2014 came with both carpet and rubber mats but I have to say that the rubber mats don't feel like high quality mats. I had better mats in my old honda accord but I guess these will have to do.
Old 09-10-14, 12:32 PM
IS3Fguy
Pit Crew

Did you find the bracket at Canadian tire?
Old 09-10-14, 03:47 PM
zarraz
Rookie

Want to do a mini meet on Sunday september 21st, at the winston churchill walmart, on Argentia around 5.00 pm let me know whos in, it will be fun, just start a list
1) Raz
Old 09-10-14, 03:52 PM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by dolfan13
My 2014 came with both carpet and rubber mats but I have to say that the rubber mats don't feel like high quality mats. I had better mats in my old honda accord but I guess these will have to do.
I have this one from Weathertech and they are good as far as coverage. Previously, I wasn't a fan of WeatherTech FloorLiner because of a weird fitting issue in 3rd Gen RX but this one fits great on 2014 and 2015 IS.

http://www.weathertech.ca/lexus/2014...n/awd-y-n/yes/

The only thing to pay attention is you have to watch for slight abrasion created by the contact between the edge of the FloorLiner and the plastic moulding of the door sill.

IMO, the rubber mats that come with the car from Lexus Canada are still of great quality in the sense that they have great aesthetics. The problem lies with the suitability for our winter because they are too soft.

For thinness of the rubber mat, this is more about the intent to force people not to overlay rubber mat over a carpeted mat for the driver. The way they changed the locking mechanism requires the carpeted mat or rubber mat to be extremely thin to achieve the objective.

When compared to the rubber mat offered by Lexus US, I have seen it and it is as thin as the Canadian one. But they use a different material for the :"rubber" mat.

Quick Reply: Toronto [GTA] 3IS Members Roll Call