IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Dealer tinted for me and said street legal, but I got a ticket?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-14, 01:43 PM
KumaF
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
The freeze/thaw in Toronto has a had a similar effect on the roads here. My IS behaves similarly and "bottoms-out" with a thump fairly easily . I try to avoid bumps as much as possible. I wonder how non-F-Sport IS's behave...
I can relate to that. There are so many new potholes on the streets after the ice storm. Some of them are the size of a kitchen sink. I had to pay so much attention so I can avoid them. I found myself driving on hwy's a lot more just for that reason, but there are bumps even on hwy's though
Old 01-13-14, 02:02 PM
Reeladdict
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hear the same BANG in the rear when I hit a pothole, I have no idea what it is (shock bump stop maybe?) but its loud.
Old 01-13-14, 04:21 PM
DreLo
Rookie

Originally Posted by Glashub
CA cops don't seem to trip about tint. Got a speeding ticket 2 weeks ago and the cop never mentioned tint.
I agree, I've had 20% tint on every car I've owned for the past 8 years and I've only gotten one ticket for tint. Been pulled over several times for other stuff, but didn't get cited for the tint.
Old 01-13-14, 04:58 PM
skrules
Rookie

Originally Posted by DreLo
I agree, I've had 20% tint on every car I've owned for the past 8 years and I've only gotten one ticket for tint. Been pulled over several times for other stuff, but didn't get cited for the tint.
Hopefully that's true. I just got the front windows tinted to 70% today (back windows to 35%). Looks pretty light, so I am hoping that I don't get pulled over.
Old 01-13-14, 05:08 PM
Oxytocin
Driver

The windows are already tinted 70%, anything on top of that will make them less than 60%. So whatever your dealer put on you have to multiply by 70%.
Old 01-13-14, 05:58 PM
skrules
Rookie

Originally Posted by Oxytocin
The windows are already tinted 70%, anything on top of that will make them less than 60%. So whatever your dealer put on you have to multiply by 70%.
Oh I didn't know that the windows were already tinted 70%. So I put another 70% on top that will be 49%? Interesting.
Old 01-13-14, 11:16 PM
Oxytocin
Driver

Yeah, I found out after the fact too...

Mine are 70% front and 35% back on top of the 70%.
Old 01-14-14, 03:56 PM
JHooks
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by doctorttt
When I purchased my car back in August, I selected the tinting option from the dealer. The dealer said that they would make sure that the two front, side windows will not be tinted too dark, making it street legal. Yesterday, I was stopped by a cop; he put a device on the driver side window, and the LCD display on his device showed 40%. So, the cop said it was too dark and I received a $1xx ticket. I believe that there will be points deduction on my driver's license as well.

I have no plans to check with my dealer as to why they said my tint was going to be street legal, but now I received a ticket for it because I know that they don't care.

Last night, I checked the web about the tinting law in NYC, and it said "Front Side Windows Must allow more than 70% of light in" Nothing more I can say here - I will plea guilty and pay the fine.

My point of this thread is that I would like to find out whether you guys had any experience about getting a ticket for tinting. Did you guys decide to remove the tint afterward? If not, how do you guys prevent getting more tickets in the future?

Lastly, NYC's road condtion is terrible, whether it's on locals or on highways - tons of potholes. I tried whatever I could to prevent them, but I still ended up running over a number of potholes. Sometimes, I feel that the shocks aren't that great because the "bang" noise and the vibration from running over a pothole are just too strong. In addition, I just discovered another hard scratch near the gas tank door. My car is wrapped with clear bra almost everywhere, and my luck was so bad that something had to strike an area without the bra.
In NY the law is any Window with a mirror next to it can not be tinted more then factory 70%. The rears can be painted black if you want it is not illegal. Also there will not be any points or any notification to the insurance company. Tint tickets are equipment violations not traffic so they do not have any tie to points or insurance. I know this from past history of many tinted cars plus 5 of my close friends are cops in NYC. My advice is once you see a cop put both front windows down. Also if you are going to remove them take a picture with a newspaper and your plate in the pic of the tint removed and bring it to court if you go that path. Most times the judge will lower the fine just mention you were under the impression this tint was NYC legal. Another FYI if you get pulled over put all windows down keys on roof and hands on wheel with car off and interior lights on if at night. This shows respect to the officer and they might give you a pass.

Last edited by JHooks; 01-14-14 at 04:02 PM.