IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Motor Trend Long Term Review IS Arrival

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-14, 05:00 PM
dizlex
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by AdvanSLF
Actually 5 or under is the standard nowadays.
Nonsense. 5 or under is in fact a very fast car. Sheesh.
Old 08-07-14, 09:56 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by salvadorik
I think saying 3IS interior is not luxurious for its class would be misrepresentation. 3IS has certainly luxury attributes to it e.g. Interior refinement, use of leather, aluminum touches, electronic conveniences (sun roof, nav, memory sears, heated and ventilated seats etc), built quality, quiet interior etc this all remind me that i am sitting in a luxury car. For the most part Lexus did an okey job with 3IS but certainly you dont get the same"feeling" of luxury that you get say from german cars. Purely from cosmetical standpoint i think german cars will age better. This is my take

I have sat in the F30 3 series and Audi A4 and I would say that current generation IS interior is better or at worst on par with the Germans.

Comparing the C-class is a little unfair considering that the new C-class is brand new and essentially in a class of its own in terms of luxury AND pricing. All other competitors in the segment including BMW 3 series and Audi A4 pale next to the new C-class, not just the IS. We should wait for the next IS facelift and see if Lexus decides to up their interior luxury game and match the IS to the C class.
Old 08-08-14, 12:19 AM
salvadorik
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by natnut
I have sat in the F30 3 series and Audi A4 and I would say that current generation IS interior is better or at worst on par with the Germans.

Comparing the C-class is a little unfair considering that the new C-class is brand new and essentially in a class of its own in terms of luxury AND pricing. All other competitors in the segment including BMW 3 series and Audi A4 pale next to the new C-class, not just the IS. We should wait for the next IS facelift and see if Lexus decides to up their interior luxury game and match the IS to the C class.
Ok I get it. Let me share with you what I have experienced so far with 3IS. Center console plastic squeaks almost all the time. Dealer put felt twice there and it still squeaks. Also driver's seat when you put pressure by moving back and forth the seat squeaks as well and yes the dealer adjusted it but squeak came back. The plastic that is used on/around the seat is pretty soft and it looks cheap to me and that applies to all other plastic materials used in the cabin. Overall built quality just does not seem to be on par with Audi or BMW. Not sure if germans tighten screws maybe a bit more? Another example, rear view mirror is not secured as tight as in Audi or interior grab handles feel that they came out straight from toyota and the list goes on and on. Don't get me wrong it is still luxurious car but when I notice these flaws it becomes so clear that Lexus just cut the corners on some parts of the car to keep the cost low. Just sitting in car to experience it is not enough. I gotta own it for a while and then you start noticing some flaws when you see how it ages.

I hate to keep bashing the car that I drive but I just thought those are the things I can share on this forum. There are plenty of other good things about 3IS and we all know what they are otherwise we would not have bought this vehicle in the first place.
Old 08-08-14, 01:08 AM
jennypenny
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by AdvanSLF
Actually 5 or under is the standard nowadays. I think that's the only reason the 335i m sport is staying afloat. I was considering that car until the countless articles I've read say its not as sharpe, agile or whatnot as the previous e90. Only thing it's got going for it is the power+looks. Plus I can't believe it's a 1k option for the adaptive suspension. More of a reason to go with the fsport (comes standard). F sport with my options was 43k ($300 above invoice). Same options on the 335i was around 51-52k totally redic!!!!

5 or under is the standard? Dont think so dude.

Cayman: 5.4s (considered a sports car)
Panamera: 6s (fast saloon car)
Most hot-hatches: 6-7.5s (Mini cooper S, Fiesta ST, Focus ST and etc)
only Merc AMGs dip below your 5 and under
only BMW Ms dip below 5s.
the fastest production VW dips below 5s. Model year 2015

Not too sure what you mean by standard when only a few cars dip below 5s...
Old 08-08-14, 01:48 AM
tea
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i dont think comparing the 3IS to the new C is unfair. Both are brand new models
Old 08-08-14, 02:18 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

My point is the C-class interior makes ALL the compact luxury competitors look bad, be it BMW,Audi or Lexus.

The IS isn't lagging the competition just because its interior isn't as good as the new C class, it probably comes in second to the C-class in terms of interior.

IMO, for interior fit and finish/quality the ranking is : C-Class > Lexus IS > Audi A4 > BMW 3 series
Old 08-08-14, 04:37 AM
FinaLpeace
Driver

Originally Posted by JDR76
This is basically how I feel about it - I find the 3IS interior to be class competitive.

In my 3IS purchase I was looking to buy a sporty, great handling sedan, and that's what I got. I am still in love with the exterior design - it has presence. The interior has a great and unique look to it, and I get lots of compliments on it when I have guests with me.

I haven't ever considered the IS to be a luxury sedan, so in no way am I disappointed that it doesn't have a luxury car interior. It's about managing expectations.
I don't know if you had the previous generation IS, but that car has a way more luxurious interior feeling to it. This is why my expectation was disappointing.
Old 08-08-14, 04:38 AM
FinaLpeace
Driver

Originally Posted by natnut

Lol the next IS facelift would be at least 5 years from now.
Old 08-08-14, 04:45 AM
FinaLpeace
Driver

We all know Lexus can do better in the interior, but they decided to take it the sporty way. They honestly could have made it sporty and luxurious. When I first look at this new IS before it came out on the internet, the interior drop my jaw. The exterior (grill) is a love and hate thing, but the interior killed it. Not until I saw the LFA gauge did I consider the interior acceptable. I am a Lexus guy, I want a car that has reliability for my age with luxury and sporty. I was planning on keeping this car for quite awhile, but the interior doesn't keep a smile on me every day I get into the car whereas the exterior is decent. Before I traded my 2nd generation IS, I really enjoyed sitting in that cabin besides the outdated technology and navigation screen, everything else was luxurious. The center console has a nice big piece of wood trim that put my smile on ever day I drive this thing. The door panels were better design and just everything. Take a look for yourselves in juxtaposed images.

Okay the car can handle hands down and it can be fun to drive in sport+ mode, but the feeling isn't as fun as when I tried it behind the wheels. People on my passenger seat doesn't even have a place to rest their left arm.

Last edited by FinaLpeace; 08-08-14 at 05:01 AM.
Old 08-08-14, 05:20 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by FinaLpeace
I don't know if you had the previous generation IS, but that car has a way more luxurious interior feeling to it. This is why my expectation was disappointing.
I have both, 3IS interior is way better. 2IS interior is already dated and plain. 2IS seats are nowhere near as supportive, have a thin feeling, and it's like im sitting on a booster seat. That's not more luxurious. Nuluxe is way better than real leather. I drove the 2IS after a few weeks after getting my 3IS and noticed the differences immediately. Its louder, rides harsher, and handles worse than the 3IS. But somehow its more luxurious.

Last edited by 4TehNguyen; 08-08-14 at 05:23 AM.
Old 08-08-14, 07:55 AM
a790
Driver

Curious- all the people who don't feel the 3IS is luxurious/acceptable, how old are you?

For perspective, I'm 27. I've owned BMW's, Mercedes, Kia's, etc. The 3IS has the most appealing interior to me in that it is sporty, contemporary, and very stylish. I don't care that my passengers don't have an armrest- I bought this car for me and me alone. I love the materials used throughout as I feel they are an excellent blend of form/function and practicality.

I also have no squeaks, no rattles, etc.

The BMW, Audi, and Infinity that I drove (all direct competitors) all had a nice, luxurious passenger car interior. When I get in the Lexus I don't feel as if I'm in a passenger car. I feel like I'm sitting in a sports car, with the cockpit clearly designed with the drivers needs in mind.

The niche carved by the 3IS is unique in the segment. That's why Motor Trend and Car and Driver both put it ahead of the BMW in recent comparison tests: the Lexus stopped trying to be BMW and started being themselves, and in doing so they made a car that outclasses its competition.

People that come in here complaining that the interior isn't luxurious, etc... well, what did you expect? That isn't the car that you bought. If that's what you wanted... why'd you buy the Lexus and not the Mercedes or BMW?
Old 08-08-14, 02:55 PM
NebulaIS
Rookie

Originally Posted by a790
Curious- all the people who don't feel the 3IS is luxurious/acceptable, how old are you?

For perspective, I'm 27. I've owned BMW's, Mercedes, Kia's, etc. The 3IS has the most appealing interior to me in that it is sporty, contemporary, and very stylish. I don't care that my passengers don't have an armrest- I bought this car for me and me alone. I love the materials used throughout as I feel they are an excellent blend of form/function and practicality.

I also have no squeaks, no rattles, etc.

The BMW, Audi, and Infinity that I drove (all direct competitors) all had a nice, luxurious passenger car interior. When I get in the Lexus I don't feel as if I'm in a passenger car. I feel like I'm sitting in a sports car, with the cockpit clearly designed with the drivers needs in mind.

The niche carved by the 3IS is unique in the segment. That's why Motor Trend and Car and Driver both put it ahead of the BMW in recent comparison tests: the Lexus stopped trying to be BMW and started being themselves, and in doing so they made a car that outclasses its competition.

People that come in here complaining that the interior isn't luxurious, etc... well, what did you expect? That isn't the car that you bought. If that's what you wanted... why'd you buy the Lexus and not the Mercedes or BMW?
Hey fellow Beyonder. Bought the car for the same reasons, passengers really like it but I could care less how or if at all other people are comfortable in the passenger or rear seat. Love the cockpit feel and if the hail doesn't destroy my car this summer I'm sure it'll keep putting a smile on my face every time I get in it!
Old 08-08-14, 03:12 PM
a790
Driver

Originally Posted by NebulaIS
Hey fellow Beyonder. Bought the car for the same reasons, passengers really like it but I could care less how or if at all other people are comfortable in the passenger or rear seat. Love the cockpit feel and if the hail doesn't destroy my car this summer I'm sure it'll keep putting a smile on my face every time I get in it!
LOL it's hailing right now
Old 08-08-14, 03:17 PM
JGard18
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it's plenty luxurious for me, but my last car was a Tundra and before that a WRX. This is a whole different world for me. I'm happy with the car I got for the price I paid (aside from our terrible infotainment system).

Sometimes I do wish I went with a GS instead, but so it goes, the smaller monthly payments are worth the lesser interior and better performance to me.
Old 08-08-14, 03:29 PM
NebulaIS
Rookie

Originally Posted by a790
LOL it's hailing right now

Managed to miss the hail and just got pounded by rain on the highway. Got it garaged at home and cautiously watching the sky haha

Quick Reply: Motor Trend Long Term Review IS Arrival