IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Motor Trend Long Term Review IS Arrival

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-14, 08:45 PM
tea
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by DreLo
People will always have something bad to say. The funny thing is, most people who talk bad about the Lexus IS haven't even been in one. I wasn't considering the IS...until I sat in one and fell in love. It was by far the best all around choice. I think German car lovers just hate to admit that consumers can now choose a car that can match in performance and has far more reliability.
while I agree with you about the exterior styling looking much better in person, i do not like the interior at all. I was wishing for the 3IS to just be a smaller 4GS and i'd be sold. The interior quality on the GS is leaps better than the 3IS
Old 01-13-14, 09:42 PM
caesosa
Pole Position

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

On the used car market 5-8 years from when you sell your is.. Do you want to buy the reliable 250 or the new turbo? What was toyota's last turbo anyway? It will very likely be very reliable but will that translate?
Old 08-06-14, 07:46 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Motor Trend has begun their third round of the long term test, this time with the RWD 350 F Sport. This is the 5th report out of their IS long term testing. As you may recall, they first tested a base IS250, then an AWD IS350, and now the F Sport. Links to all updates are in this link below:

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...port_update_5/

Of interest in this latest update is the fact that the AWD 350 base model performed the 0-60 test faster than the RWD F Sport (5.3 vs 5.6 seconds). Given the summer tires and lower weight, I would have expected the opposite, but sometimes AWD wins in simply getting the power to the ground, and that seems to be the case here.

The glaring error in this report is that the author lists the intake sound generator as being an F Sport item, which is only true on the 250. All 350s have the sound generator, whether they are F Sport or not.
Old 08-06-14, 08:09 AM
yellow2112
Pole Position

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

I'm an admitted fan of what works. Much the same as how Apple products polarize so many people. They call Apple customers 'fan-boys' and crap like that.

I'm no apple guru but I know what works and I know what feels good and is easy to use and enjoyable.

I test drove 6 different brands of cars before buying my IS350 and none offered the same experience.
Old 08-06-14, 09:49 AM
a790
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tea
while I agree with you about the exterior styling looking much better in person, i do not like the interior at all. I was wishing for the 3IS to just be a smaller 4GS and i'd be sold. The interior quality on the GS is leaps better than the 3IS
Are we sitting in the same car? lol

The 3IS has the best interior in the entire category as far as I'm concerned. The only other car that came close was the S4, but it was also $14k more expensive for comparable options.
Old 08-06-14, 10:00 AM
SlangBlade
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by a790

The 3IS has the best interior in the entire category as far as I'm concerned. The only other car that came close was the S4, but it was also $14k more expensive for comparable options.
I think he's saying that he wishes it were nicer, in his opinion - not that it isn't the best in it's segment. The GS is in a different category.
Old 08-06-14, 10:03 AM
tea
Lexus Test Driver

I guess we will have to agree to disagree. I still prefer the 4gs interior over the 3is
Old 08-06-14, 10:06 AM
moose66
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by yellow2112
I'm an admitted fan of what works. Much the same as how Apple products polarize so many people. They call Apple customers 'fan-boys' and crap like that.

I'm no apple guru but I know what works and I know what feels good and is easy to use and enjoyable.

I test drove 6 different brands of cars before buying my IS350 and none offered the same experience.
Agreed! Especially with regard to the engines/power so many of the complaints are aimed at. Same issue should be on the Nissan/Infiniti side when it comes to engines. Unless I am wrong, they have been riding that same engine in many of their vehicles for a long time. I don't hang out in their forums, but the haters have to be singing the same tune.

Also surprised by so much hatred from people who actually own the IS. Especially when it comes to the engine. Did they not know the engine was the same carryover engine when they purchased the car!
Old 08-06-14, 10:06 AM
tea
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SlangBlade
I think he's saying that he wishes it were nicer, in his opinion - not that it isn't the best in it's segment. The GS is in a different category.
Yes. Thank you. Although saying it's best in its segment isn't saying much. I think most of the cars in this segment have meh interiors.
Old 08-06-14, 10:09 AM
tea
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by moose66
Agreed! Especially with regard to the engines/power so many of the complaints are aimed at. Same issue should be on the Nissan/Infiniti side when it comes to engines. Unless I am wrong, they have been riding that same engine in many of their vehicles for a long time. I don't hang out in their forums, but the haters have to be singing the same tune.

Also surprised by so much hatred from people who actually own the IS. Especially when it comes to the engine. Did they not know the engine was the same carryover engine when they purchased the car!
Right? Lol. Being a carryover engine for me is not a problem since I know that it'll be more reliable and less prone to problems. Even though the 2.5 v6 isn't fast by any means, it's still good enough for my daily uses. Not everybody takes their cars to the track and doesn't need to be the first one to the next red light
Old 08-06-14, 10:21 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

I do love my 3IS interior, but definitely find the 4GS interior to be a substantial step up, particularly in terms of material quality. This is as it should be. It's a more expensive car with different priorities, competition, and pricing.

As far as engines go, I am plenty happy to keep my NA 3.5 liter. It's still very strong and incredibly smooth. For me, the smoothness of it counts more than the power anyway. I don't often use all 306 ponies to take my 6 mile, 35 mph drive to work each day, but the smoothness counts from the moment I turn it on until the moment I shut it down. However, when I want to play, the power is there and I can still have fun. This is a reliable, and still very technologically advanced engine.
Old 08-06-14, 10:25 AM
SlangBlade
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tea
Yes. Thank you. Although saying it's best in its segment isn't saying much. I think most of the cars in this segment have meh interiors.
I agree. When I was shopping around, there were a few cars I didn't even bother driving after just sitting in them for a moment (Read: ATS, CLA, etc.). I like small cars, but it seems the car companies don't feel like investing in the interior quality of anything smaller than 190".
Old 08-06-14, 10:38 AM
a790
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
I do love my 3IS interior, but definitely find the 4GS interior to be a substantial step up, particularly in terms of material quality. This is as it should be. It's a more expensive car with different priorities, competition, and pricing.
This is the point I was trying to make earlier. The 3IS is best in class, and that's absolutely relevant because you can't look at another class of vehicles and say "I want that interior but at the 3IS price." Were that to happen something would have to make the compromise.

When you look at the cars the 3IS competes with directly, it has the best interior. Of course cars in other segments will have different interiors, but for this one, the 3IS competes and competes well.
Old 08-06-14, 11:16 AM
tea
Lexus Test Driver

This is the point I was trying to make earlier. The 3IS is best in class, and that's absolutely relevant because you can't look at another class of vehicles and say "I want that interior but at the 3IS price." Were that to happen something would have to make the compromise.

When you look at the cars the 3IS competes with directly, it has the best interior. Of course cars in other segments will have different interiors, but for this one, the 3IS competes and competes well.
I understand what you're saying, but just because it's best in class doesn't mean that it's nice to me. Like saying the civic or Corolla has best in class interior, but it doesn't necessarily mean that it's made of good quality. It's just better than the other cars in its class. I personally think Lexus cut some corners with the 3is interior
Old 08-06-14, 12:29 PM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by keyframe13
Not only the Consumer reports and other reviewers put down the IS250 but a lot of people also care less about this car. I think Lexus is trying to milking the consumers with their decision not to update the powertrains and people are not stupid.
I don;t care about the comments about the look as the look is subjective ( and I personally love it) but I won't pay $20k in difference and trade in my car to get the same crappy old engine from 9 years ago.
And yet review after review picks the 206hp 4cyl 2015 TSX as the car to get. They proclaim it a hit. The same engine Acura has used for years. And do note you will not find owners from the previous generation pissing on the parade and *****ing like you do. They are polite over there. They are enthusiasts. They are based in reality Here's a link to a slew of Acura TSX reviews and each picks the 4cyl. as the car to get, http://acurazine.com/forums/showthre...=909291&page=8. The only time you're on this forum is to ***** about the 3 IS.

Last edited by Glashub; 08-06-14 at 12:32 PM.

Quick Reply: Motor Trend Long Term Review IS Arrival