IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Help me out with my deal -- thinking of trading 2010 M3 for new IS350 Fsport

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-14, 11:39 AM
ggarriso
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me out with my deal -- thinking of trading 2010 M3 for new IS350 Fsport

So long story short I have a fully loaded 2010 BMW M3 vert -- all the bells and whistles etc.. It recently came off warranty and I know how fast the BMWs can bleed you dry on parts/labor. Also thinking a more practical car wouldnt be a bad thing, I only get to drive the BMW maybe once a week.. Settled in on the 2014 AWD IS350 fsport

BMW is pristine, not a scratch on the interior or exterior, brand new tires with 10 miles on them - fully serviced every 6ish months. Carmax came in at 40, Lexus 41 - kbb and nada guides have this car at 44-45 for very good to excellent conditions.

The IS I wanted was MSRP 48,8 and they were willing to do 49 out the door they admitted that they had room to work there.

I was looking to do maybe a 45 (M3) --> 48 (IS) deal getting me into the new car for 3k ish, if they had said 4k I would have probably bit, but we were 8k apart and they went ahead and let me go on about my day.. any thoughts on all this?
Old 01-12-14, 12:15 PM
WWM
Rookie

There's no way they're going to close an $8,000 gap. I would just negotiate hard on the IS. If the MSRP is $49,000, try to get $3-4k off of that. They probably won't move on the trade if you're getting $4k off retail on the car, but you could try to wring out another thousand on the trade, maybe. I know it's tempting to think "well if they can move $3-4k on the price of the new car, they can surely move that much on the trade". And they probably could. But they won't. At least not in my experiences.
Old 01-12-14, 12:29 PM
ggarriso
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by WWM
There's no way they're going to close an $8,000 gap. I would just negotiate hard on the IS. If the MSRP is $49,000, try to get $3-4k off of that. They probably won't move on the trade if you're getting $4k off retail on the car, but you could try to wring out another thousand on the trade, maybe. I know it's tempting to think "well if they can move $3-4k on the price of the new car, they can surely move that much on the trade". And they probably could. But they won't. At least not in my experiences.
Hey - thanks for the response -- I may have explained the sitch a little bit inadequately - we were 4k off, not 8k -- 8k would be like trade keys, I was willing to bring 3-4k in cash to the deal. Still 4k seems like a long road to walk, they knew I would have done the deal at that price point and let me out.
Old 01-12-14, 12:35 PM
WWM
Rookie

It would be very strange if they weren't willing to move at least $2-3k on the price of the IS, especially if they're getting a trade that will likely bring in a nice profit for them. I would give them another try but if they aren't willing to move at all, best to take your business elsewhere.
Old 01-12-14, 01:10 PM
caesosa
Pole Position

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Keeping in mind that they need to make money on your trade, I would expect that if you walked away they will call you back and give you a "bottom line" deal (you just have to be patient). I think in the end a 6k gap is what you will end up with.
Old 01-12-14, 01:25 PM
semoquer
Rookie

I would keep the M3
Old 01-12-14, 02:07 PM
ggarriso
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by semoquer
I would keep the M3
Thanks all for the responses so far -- considering above option also
Old 01-12-14, 02:24 PM
IS350S2K
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

My friend has a 2011 M3 coupe with comp pkg. It is a much nicer car and you can't beat its peformance. He likes my IS and the interior but it isn't going to be as fast or handle as well. He is waiting for the new M4. Anyways if you are worried about warranty, can't you get an extended? That is what he did.
Old 01-12-14, 02:28 PM
ggarriso
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by IS350S2K
My friend has a 2011 M3 coupe with comp pkg. It is a much nicer car and you can't beat its peformance. He likes my IS and the interior but it isn't going to be as fast or handle as well. He is waiting for the new M4. Anyways if you are worried about warranty, can't you get an extended? That is what he did.
true - prob for that 6k I could get a pretty decent warrant
Old 01-12-14, 02:36 PM
Slust
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love my car but I also didn't come from an M3. I don't know, if your car is still in good condition I would stick with the M3. In addition to extended warranty you can also compare prices of private mechanics versus the dealership. Keep in mind that aftermarket extended warranty will probably be limited to drive-train and there are standard BMW maintenance costs and then there are M-Series maintenance costs which is quite a bit more.

Research it out but ya as much as I love my car, it's no M3.
Old 01-12-14, 03:27 PM
McBrain
Driver

I tend to agree with the other posters. A 2010 M3 is iconic (V8). How many miles does it have?

You're going to really miss the power and driving dynamics of the M3. I can't imagine how this makes sense. The IS350 is not a performance car. Its a comfy "sporty" sedan. Its just not in the league of the M3.

You've taken a good chunk of the depreciation on your M3 already and you're not on a lease so its actually yours and you get to keep it! The next M3 is going to be a 6-cylinder, so hold on to your piece of history while you have the opportunity. Also, the new M3s are going to be considerably more expensive from the looks of things (which essentially make your M3 more valuable).
Old 01-12-14, 03:32 PM
aTeAse
Lead Lap

If you plan to drive the 3IS once a week, keep the M3.

Even if you' aren't, still keep the M3, you'll enjoy it much more overall. lol.

But if you were going with the 3IS route, it'd be much better if you can sell it privately(i.e. Craigslist, E90 Post, Bimmerforums, or any BMW forum). You can make a few thousands more selling privately, it just takes some patience for the buyer to come along.

Or actually, i'd rather trade in for a 335i, and mod it.
Old 01-12-14, 04:44 PM
ggarriso
Driver School Candidate

All - greatly appreciate all the responses - this is probably the most unadventageous time to do this also since deprecitation is just starting to slow down on the M3

Mileage is 13500 and I could pay it off anytime.

Originally Posted by McBrain
I tend to agree with the other posters. A 2010 M3 is iconic (V8). How many miles does it have?

You're going to really miss the power and driving dynamics of the M3. I can't imagine how this makes sense. The IS350 is not a performance car. Its a comfy "sporty" sedan. Its just not in the league of the M3.

You've taken a good chunk of the depreciation on your M3 already and you're not on a lease so its actually yours and you get to keep it! The next M3 is going to be a 6-cylinder, so hold on to your piece of history while you have the opportunity. Also, the new M3s are going to be considerably more expensive from the looks of things (which essentially make your M3 more valuable).
Old 01-12-14, 05:29 PM
AMK6453
Driver School Candidate

i had 2010 M3 as well...
Attached Thumbnails Help me out with my deal -- thinking of trading 2010 M3 for new IS350 Fsport-dsc00825.jpg  
Old 01-12-14, 05:32 PM
pheonix72
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by semoquer
I would keep the M3
WHS+1. There is no way i would trade in the M3 for the FSport and pay extra money on top of that. I was in a similar situation with my MCoupe but ultimately decided to keep the Coupe and got a 2IS for DD. dont get me wrong the IS350 Fsport is a nice car but it is not an ///M car.

Quick Reply: Help me out with my deal -- thinking of trading 2010 M3 for new IS350 Fsport