IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

New car and there are light scratches in the paint!

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-14, 08:27 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

gotta use the microfiber wash mitts that look like these. Sponges just move the dirt around scratching the paint. Also the silk edge lined microfiber cloths for general purpose and waffle weave microfibers for drying. Also if you use a bucket to wash, get one of those grit guards for the bottom. I dont use a bucket anymore though since I have the foam spray attachments and I will rinse down the mitt every so often.

Within the first 50 miles of getting my car I washed, clayed, and applied sealant. Car still had a lot of crud on the paint even when new so the clay took care of that. Now that its sealed in for 4-6 months with good sealant and washing it with the correct equipment, paint should stay well protected.

Old 01-20-14, 09:41 AM
nonopeno
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had mine delivered last Saturday and told the dealership (on many occasions) to not touch the paint, and that I will bring a flashlight to examine the paint condition come delivery.

I think the sales person thought I was crazy.

Either way, the paint was untouched and I had the car detailed and opticoated by Bryan Walroth. Pics to come! I have never had a swirl free car before and so this is really special!
Old 01-20-14, 05:12 PM
SonyHome
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by nonopeno
I had mine delivered last Saturday and told the dealership (on many occasions) to not touch the paint, and that I will bring a flashlight to examine the paint condition come delivery.

I think the sales person thought I was crazy.

Either way, the paint was untouched and I had the car detailed and opticoated by Bryan Walroth. Pics to come! I have never had a swirl free car before and so this is really special!
So just curious did your car have swirls and scratches when you first picked it up?
Old 01-20-14, 05:22 PM
nonopeno
Rookie

Originally Posted by SonyHome
So just curious did your car have swirls and scratches when you first picked it up?
No swirls, but then it's hard to spot swirls in ultra white to begin with.

If you have swirls, it's almost always induced by crappy wash process at the dealerships.
Old 01-20-14, 05:41 PM
SonyHome
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by nonopeno
No swirls, but then it's hard to spot swirls in ultra white to begin with.

If you have swirls, it's almost always induced by crappy wash process at the dealerships.
I had swirls but dealer said they didn't do any prep work.
Old 01-20-14, 05:46 PM
chris2k5
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No surprise here. Lexus paint isn't industry leading because it is the same paint you get off a Toyota.
#$50kToyotaProblems
Old 01-20-14, 06:09 PM
SonyHome
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by chris2k5
No surprise here. Lexus paint isn't industry leading because it is the same paint you get off a Toyota.
#$50kToyotaProblems
I have no complaints about the paint, other then it being little sensitive but just the swirls on the paint. There were no swirls on any of the interior paint like between the door panels.
Old 01-20-14, 09:43 PM
Lost808
Pole Position

No swirls from delivery here. The dealer gave me the protectant package at no cost, so had them do the interior and exterior next day.I know the protectant isn't too much more than a sealant, so lets see if they hold up to their 5 year warranty/guarantee on it!
Old 01-20-14, 09:44 PM
Lost808
Pole Position

Originally Posted by chris2k5
#$50kToyotaProblems
You want soft and weak paint, try Nissan! If I even sneeze close to my Z, I chip paint!
Old 01-20-14, 10:44 PM
BOBFSPORT
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just want to say one more time that there is no possible way to wash the car without putting light scratches in the clear coat. The #1 most important thing i have learned with my Obsidian GS is to always wipe in a straight line direction from front to back. My usual routine is taking the car to a touchless wash and getting some soap and water on the paint. No amount of water pressure fully cleans the dirt off the paint and i only do this to loosen the dirt and salt up. I then take the car back to my garage and i spray down the car one panel at a time with garry deans infinite use detail juice. I am extremely liberal with the juice, the more lubricant the better (thats what she said). As i wipe the juice off of each panel i always wipe in one direction and pick the towel up off the paint and place it down again. Never keep the towel on the surface and wipe in more than one direction! As i said it is impossible to wash the car without putting minor scratches in the clear but the key is to not make the scratches noticeable to the eye. A few times a year i seal the paint with Klasse using a Flex DA polisher but again i employ the same method for wiping the product off of the paint. This may be my last black Lexus!! BOB in my user name stands for Black on Black so it pains me to say this! I love black cars but my life gets busier every day and i don't have the time to keep it as shiny as id like. Oh well Nebula Grey is fine with me!

Cheers, Jordan
Old 01-21-14, 03:37 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Lost808
You want soft and weak paint, try Nissan! If I even sneeze close to my Z, I chip paint!
The guy is ironically some infiniti fanboy obviously clueless to reality. Lexus paint is considered some of the best around. The pearl paints are tougher than the flat ones.