IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Gosh the grille really is polarizing

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-14, 10:37 PM
eyeball
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gosh the grille really is polarizing

I just read this article on the new RC-F http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/..._f_first_look/

I am really shocked by the comments. I'm sure that most of the people who posted are just Lexus haters to begin with. I guess you can't please everyone
Attached Thumbnails Gosh the grille really is polarizing-image-2307159788.jpg   Gosh the grille really is polarizing-image-2601821488.jpg   Gosh the grille really is polarizing-image-992526014.jpg   Gosh the grille really is polarizing-image-3716879290.jpg  
Old 01-08-14, 10:42 PM
ashtray
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It isn't ugly at all. There are just haters. Haters gonna hate! lol I love it. Ballsy. Agressive. Sleek. New.
Old 01-08-14, 10:48 PM
shahir18
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think the grill looks much better then the RC350... I'm sure it will look much better in person!
Old 01-08-14, 10:50 PM
McBrain
Driver

They're not haters for hatin' sake. They just genuinely hate the grill. This is exactly why I bought this car. Everything looks the same these days. Who would have thought a Lexus may actually evoke emotion? Its why I bought one. You won't hear people discussing a Camry or ES styling because there is, well, nothing to discuss. When something has an actual design, it becomes love or hate, as opposed to just "neither". The folks in these post are probably more of the frumpy variety. They can always buy the Hun-dee.
Old 01-09-14, 01:03 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

I love Lexus, and even I dislike the new grilles. I wouldn't say hate, but it's certainly not what Lexus is known for and definitely pushes the envelope. If Lexus meant to stand out and create a buzz, it's working.
Old 01-09-14, 05:06 AM
QuentinB
Driver

You have to realize that a majority of people posting on MT, Autoblog, etc aren't actual automotive enthusiasts. They are Chevy enthusiasts, or Ford enthusiasts, etc. If it isn't their brand, they spend their day commenting on message boards about how ugly it is out of one side of their mouth while saying great the ATS is despite having a Cobalt in the driveway.
Old 01-09-14, 05:35 AM
TomDac
Driver

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
I love Lexus, and even I dislike the new grilles.
Agreed. They are just too much.
Old 01-09-14, 05:42 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

people complain about a bland design, then Lexus goes for a bolder ballsier design then its too ugly. Cant make anyone happy
Old 01-09-14, 06:39 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

I'm enjoying owning a car that is so controversially styled. It's fun to drive something that stirs up so many emotions and conversations.

When Audi first came out with their grill, I hated it, but with time it grew on me and now I quite like it. The Lexus grill was much the same for me. When the new IS came out, I was thoroughly disappointed. Then I saw it in person, and bought one a few weeks later...

You can't please them all!
Old 01-09-14, 07:17 AM
llcw79
Driver School Candidate

like the spoiler, like the nav. with writing 'pad' but dislike the headlights...
Old 01-09-14, 08:13 PM
caesosa
Pole Position

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Must be haters. The 3IS has so much presence it is really difficult to not get noticed... I believe the RC will be the same in person... everyone just wants to have an opinion.
Old 01-09-14, 08:35 PM
eyeball
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by caesosa
Must be haters. The 3IS has so much presence it is really difficult to not get noticed... I believe the RC will be the same in person... everyone just wants to have an opinion.
^^^agree! Let's see what these haters drive if they feel so strongly about their opinions lol
Old 01-09-14, 08:40 PM
amoney805
Pole Position

This car is an absolute beast and a game changer! Props to Lexus for pushing the envelop in design.I think once it's released people will be singing a different tune. After all a lot of the same comments were said about the 3is. I can't wait to see what numbers this car puts out.
Old 01-09-14, 08:44 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 268 Likes on 216 Posts

If people didn't care they would not even bother to comment. It certainly got their attentions, some guy even post a picture of Predator's face, which isn't even close to how the grill looks. Spindle grill reminds me of snake scales, and if people even bother to pay attention the grill is made up of many Lexus "L".
Old 01-09-14, 11:41 PM
Slust
Pole Position

The gate guard stopped me yesterday and said, "Is that a new car or something because I've never seen a grill quite like that."

He didn't say whether he liked it or not but he most definitely took notice. His current duty is nothing but seeing cars drive in and out ...and I've seen some nice cars drive in and out. Granted not like Vegas, FL, CA or DC.

At first I truly hated the grill! I told myself that if I go with this car then I'm definitely going with nothing but Black just so I can hide the grill. I thought for sure I was going BMW or Audi this time. I saw it in person ...not going to say I liked it right away but I warmed up. Second time I saw it in person I loved the grill. Overall I liked the look of the BMWs but at the same time hated the fact they had ZERO personality. A bimmer is a bimmer is a bimmer. Unless you are car guy/gal chances are the average Joe/Flo can't tell the difference between the bimmer sedans. The new IS has personality. Anytime you go with a bold design by default you are going to alienate some people. Granted we have some more mature people here but I think their overall goal was to aim for the young professional (20s to 40s) demographic. And really that is what the IS should be catering to. The IS isn't a family car. The IS design won't appeal to everyone but it's not a failure either, it's simply different.

Quick Reply: Gosh the grille really is polarizing