IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

My 3 week old IS vandalized!

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-14, 09:40 PM
Bass Mech
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Default My 3 week old IS vandalized!

so i went to a colorado Motorcycle trail riders association meeting we have 1 time per month at thunder and buttons bar and grille in old colorado city.
had a nice dinner and 1.5 hours later came out to my new car to find both drivers side windows busted! glass everywhere!
nothing taken the dumbasses leaned into the car through the broken window and opened the center console.
all i had in there was a slip of paper and a cigarette lighter USB charger and my iPod cable.

as i type this i am putting the pieces together..
my car has the blackview camera installed front and back. the camera did pick up 2 figures walking back and forth around my car and this all happened less than 2 minutes after i left the car parked. unfortunately there was not enough light to make out anything except the outline of the figures.
as i type this i realize my iPhone cable which is white was laying on the center console and under the lid so i guess they assumed there might be an iPod to steal.

according to the video and audio recording they broke both windows and were in and out in less than about 10 seconds. never opened the door.
but before this happened you can see they had a flashlight and looked in the car and probably saw that cable.
so let this be a lesson to you guys do not leave anything like that visible in the car.
nothing was taken, not my 550 radar detector or the cameras not even the charger (it was black so i assume they never saw it in there.)

the paint is scratched all the way to the metal in 3 places as the broken glass fell onto it.

so now i need to figure out how much the glass will cost and ill probably do the install myself as i used to do insurance claim work many years ago. i already vacuumed up most of the glass. i had to drive the car home in 30 degree weather while sitting on a pile of broken glass.

i don't think I'm even going to bother to file a claim the glass is $180 for the front and $78 for the rear from sewell with my CL discount. i don't think the paint will be that much for just 1 door panel if that's what has to be done.
tint will be probably 50 bucks.

my car just turned 1k miles i should have known better to park it in a dark parking lot like that. oh well live and learn i guess.
Old 01-08-14, 10:00 PM
SonyHome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bass Mech

so i went to a colorado Motorcycle trail riders association meeting we have 1 time per month at thunder and buttons bar and grille in old colorado city.
had a nice dinner and 1.5 hours later came out to my new car to find both drivers side windows busted! glass everywhere!
nothing taken the dumbasses leaned into the car through the broken window and opened the center console.
all i had in there was a slip of paper and a cigarette lighter USB charger and my iPod cable.

as i type this i am putting the pieces together..
my car has the blackview camera installed front and back. the camera did pick up 2 figures walking back and forth around my car and this all happened less than 2 minutes after i left the car parked. unfortunately there was not enough light to make out anything except the outline of the figures.
as i type this i realize my iPhone cable which is white was laying on the center console and under the lid so i guess they assumed there might be an iPod to steal.

according to the video and audio recording they broke both windows and were in and out in less than about 10 seconds. never opened the door.
but before this happened you can see they had a flashlight and looked in the car and probably saw that cable.
so let this be a lesson to you guys do not leave anything like that visible in the car.
nothing was taken, not my 550 radar detector or the cameras not even the charger (it was black so i assume they never saw it in there.)

the paint is scratched all the way to the metal in 3 places as the broken glass fell onto it.

so now i need to figure out how much the glass will cost and ill probably do the install myself as i used to do insurance claim work many years ago. i already vacuumed up most of the glass. i had to drive the car home in 30 degree weather while sitting on a pile of broken glass.

i don't think I'm even going to bother to file a claim the glass is $180 for the front and $78 for the rear from sewell with my CL discount. i don't think the paint will be that much for just 1 door panel if that's what has to be done.
tint will be probably 50 bucks.

my car just turned 1k miles i should have known better to park it in a dark parking lot like that. oh well live and learn i guess.
Sorry to hear this Kevin. Perhaps you could take the video to a place where they could try to clean it up a bit to see if they can identify the vandals.

Sorry again to hear about your misfortune and what they did to your car.
Old 01-08-14, 10:00 PM
jennypenny
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Sorry to hear that.
Old 01-08-14, 10:04 PM
IS350S2K
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Very sorry to hear your car was damaged by lowlife scum. Karma is a ***** and they will get whats what. Hope you get the car fixed quickly.
Old 01-08-14, 10:12 PM
mike927
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That blows having money come out of your pockets for an incident that was only eligible due to those idiots.
Old 01-08-14, 10:12 PM
McBrain
Driver

Originally Posted by IS350S2K
Very sorry to hear your car was damaged by lowlife scum. Karma is a ***** and they will get whats what. Hope you get the car fixed quickly.
Karma has already gotten them. Think about it. I'd rather have my life and smashed window than the life of the person that smashed my window.
Old 01-08-14, 10:20 PM
Bass Mech
Lexus Test Driver

i guess i don't get why they had to break 2 windows and from the sound of the video they both got broke 1 right after the other.
i guess i have some satisfaction in knowing they got absolutely nothing in the process.

and the reality is that since i can replace them myself it won't cost much to fix.
i think i am going to leave the paint, I'm going to try some touchup paint and wet sand and buff. i am sure to repaint the entire door or at least clear the door i would be surprised if the orange peel will look the same.
the marks are pretty small and if i can't get it to look acceptable for the 27 months ill own this car ill have the door painted since it will need to be painted anyway.

i thought someone here fixed their bumper with a repair kit. i thought about trying that but literally these are small small nicks and with some patience i think i can build up the chip with a couple light applications of touchup paint that i already have, sand it with 2500 and buff. it won't be perfect but i think not noticeable enough to justify painting the entire door.
Old 01-08-14, 10:51 PM
iPinky
Driver

Holy *****! That's bananas! I feel for you, man. Ugh.
Thank you for the warning. But it sucks that this even happened to you. I always leave my lightning cable out since it's in the clip that routes it from inside the console to the outside. And my windows aren't even tinted yet. Yikes.
Old 01-08-14, 11:11 PM
Slust
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You are taking this better than I would.

No wise words as I am not a smart man but so sorry.
Old 01-08-14, 11:43 PM
BOBFSPORT
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I knew legalizing recreational marijuana was a bad idea. No but seriously this sucks to hear brotha but as McBrain said so eloquently id rather have my life than the lives of these desperate thugs. I envy the fact that you can do so much work on your car that i have to pay others to do. I am not as skilled as you sir

Last edited by BOBFSPORT; 01-08-14 at 11:47 PM.
Old 01-09-14, 04:25 AM
Bass Mech
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by BOBFSPORT
I knew legalizing recreational marijuana was a bad idea. No but seriously this sucks to hear brotha but as McBrain said so eloquently id rather have my life than the lives of these desperate thugs. I envy the fact that you can do so much work on your car that i have to pay others to do. I am not as skilled as you sir
You know funny you should say that, I read in the paper that the cost of pot supposed to be going up 3x as dispensaries are going to have a hard time keeping up. Also read some guy from GA and his son drove all the way to colorado to buy pot only to get stopped at the boarder on their way back. It wouldn't surprise me knowing the lengths people will go just to get high. I cannot imagine needing something that bad that's so unimportant and unnecessary. How people put so much effort into something so childish and immature I'll never understand!
My car was not far from one such dispensary.

And as for having the ability to fix things, I think one of the things that's made me so successful in life is that I have this belief of mine. Sometime when I was young I decided I can do ANYTHING I put my mind to!
I have to say, that it has been a very empowering thing both mentally and physically with this notion, that if I have 2 arms, 2 legs and brains between my ears there is no reason to pay someone to do something I can do myself! Afterlife is was another person just like me who built it or put it together in the first place! Anythings possible!
This attitude if you will has made me a jack of many trades and master of all!
It's what helped me be able to buy a corvette! 2 in fact!
It's what helped me get my private pilots license for no other reason than because I just wanted to know what it was like to fly.
It's what helped me build one of the largest insurance agencies in my area with no more than a 9th grade education!
There is a big difference in life between the "I can's and the I cannot's" no surprise they turn out to be the same people who folks refer to as the "haves and have not's"

And to the other poster

Yes I'm taking it pretty well and honestly I don't know why! Part of me knows it's a leased car, I've had so many new cars now that I don't get as attached to them as much anymore. (Although I did cry pretty bad when I sold my first and second corvette) The other part is I find as I get older (almost 44 now) I find life is too short to spend any of it being mad. Anger is a choice! It solves nothing! It doesn't make you rich or happy and it definitely won't get you laid!

What will yelling and screaming get you? I think my wife is more upset with it than me which I totally didn't expect! Maybe it's because I know I can fix it?
Mind over matter I guess! If I get mad then they really win don't they?
At the end of the day I still have a sweet car that I can fix and they got nothing from me! They are still a couple broke *** drug addicted biyatches walking around in the middle of the night still broke and worthless. I've pissed on things more valuable than them!
Old 01-09-14, 06:04 AM
AdvanSLF
Lead Lap

really sorry to hear that happened to you, and i can definitely relate. when i use to metro into work, i parked at the metro station garage and mind you that the community is pretty safe and well off. anyways after a 10 hour day, i came back to the garage and saw that someone had pried my passenger side door frame (literally pried, bent mental and all) so they could push down the glass window to open the door. before that they ripped out my driver fender well to try to cut open the hood release wire to disconnect the battery. my car is slightly modified so i'm sure they thought i had a hondata ecu reflash or something because when i opened the passenger door, i noticed the in cabin ecu was tampered with. what amazes me is i parked in between two cars (garage fills up) and was only about 25 yards from the main stairwell entrance/exit that everyone takes. there are also cops that patrol the garages. i can't believe no one saw or heard anything.

anyways, i hope you're able to get your car fixed soon without too much damage to your pocket. and to your question about why they had to smash two windows.. my logic is maybe once they tried to smash the front one, found nothing in the car, they got pissed and left another present...
Old 01-09-14, 06:45 AM
CtSFox
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry to hear what happened to your car. In your first post you said that you should have known better than to park where you did. Its such a common human reaction to blame yourself after a crime is committed against you. Everybody does it, but it rarely makes sense. I'm glad for you that there was not more damage, more loss or personal assault. Also, as someone else noted, they got nothing from you.
Old 01-09-14, 06:53 AM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

CtSFox for the most part I agree with you. What I've discovered in my life is how persistent my intuition can be and how often I dismiss it. Perhaps that is what the OP was referring to. I saw film of Einstein accepting his Nobel Prize. I'll never forget this man who was arguably the smartest person on Earth thanking God -- for his intuition. We're such an intellect reliant society I think we under value the magic of intuition.
Old 01-09-14, 06:55 AM
moose66
Lexus Test Driver

This was a tough read Bass Mech. This can happen to any one of us, anyplace, anytime. There are some people out there with issues. Nothing legally you can do to prevent anything. Just have to hope nothing physically happens to you and yours. Best of luck with getting the beauty back in shape.

Quick Reply: My 3 week old IS vandalized!