IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Best way to get a good deal on Sirius XM after free trial

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-14, 09:22 PM
azmojo
Instructor

Received 115 Likes on 86 Posts
Default Best way to get a good deal on Sirius XM after free trial

The trial period on my Sirius XM is almost over. I have seen articles on the web that you can get a deal that works out to less than $5/mo by threatening to cancel your service; however, I like most of you are coming off of a free trial, so I can't cancel - it's just going to end.

What's the cheapest way to subscribe to Sirius after the end of the trial period?
Old 01-05-14, 09:36 PM
phungy
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My dealer (Park Place Grapevine) told me that it is 1 year, not the 90-day as listed. I'm not sure which is correct. I hope we get 1 year!
Old 01-05-14, 09:36 PM
shahir18
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I wouldn't mind getting a deal on the SiriusXM Traffic, my trial ends on the 8th of this month...
Old 01-05-14, 09:37 PM
DreLo
Rookie

Originally Posted by azmojo
The trial period on my Sirius XM is almost over. I have seen articles on the web that you can get a deal that works out to less than $5/mo by threatening to cancel your service; however, I like most of you are coming off of a free trial, so I can't cancel - it's just going to end.

What's the cheapest way to subscribe to Sirius after the end of the trial period?
What I plan to do is call them right before my trial will end and telling them that I'm interested in keeping it but won't pay $199 a year since I only listen occasionally. I'm sure they will offer me a better deal and if they don't I'll simply call back and try again. I've heard of people getting deals as low as $25 for 6 months just by calling a third time or speaking to a supervisor. Another option is to sign up and in a month call and cancel. They'll offer you something to avoid cancellation.
Old 01-05-14, 09:43 PM
Oxytocin
Driver

After the trial they'll send you mailings about subscription (they get the info from lexus) just ignore the mailings for a few weeks and they'll send you a year subscription for $89, that's not bad then after that you can start threatening them for better deals.

Also traffic is provided free through HD radio, though not always the most up to date.
Old 01-05-14, 09:54 PM
Celsius
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the way I get deals is I just tell them I want to cancel, they keep begging me to stay and finally give me a price I can't refuse....something like $25 for 6 months.
Old 01-05-14, 11:35 PM
BOBFSPORT
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dont do anything until they cancel it! My GS is still going strong on the "free trial" for almost two years. My salesman at the dealership told me that sirius xm is the worst with billing and he knows numerous customers whose free trials have never been canceled.
Old 01-06-14, 04:05 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 288 Likes on 209 Posts

^^^ My latest two Lexus vehicles had the free trial for 90 days for which it ended. Unlucky me I guess.

But to the OP, they are so desperate for your business (even in Canada) as others above have stated, they sent me two mailed notices (yes, paper print), plus called me twice wanting my business. The first time they called was about 1 month into the free subscription with the offer of $89 for 12 months. I turned it down telling them I preferred local radio and news yet they were on a mission to convince me commercial free listening is better... They called me again, same offer, and I turned it down with the same reasons and I added that I like listening to commercials. The guy was stumped and it ended there. Needless to say, I didn't subscribe as I really have no need for the service but it seems they're just as desperate in the US as in Canada, you have a good chance at getting it for even cheaper than this offer.

Last edited by corradoMR2; 01-06-14 at 04:09 AM.
Old 01-06-14, 04:27 AM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

It depends in the sales rep too. After getting the $25 for 6 months twice after my 90 day trial ended, one a** told me he's sorry I can't afford their "premium" service at a discounted rate of $179 down from $199. I then hung up and called again and got a much nicer rep who offered the $89/yr rate. In the end the base service price was $85 but the total rose to $110 after applicable fees and taxes. :/
Old 01-06-14, 05:07 AM
toyotatom
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BOBFSPORT
Dont do anything until they cancel it! My GS is still going strong on the "free trial" for almost two years. My salesman at the dealership told me that sirius xm is the worst with billing and he knows numerous customers whose free trials have never been canceled.
I had the same thing happen to another car, and one day I went for service and they found it and canceled it. Got about a year out of it.
If you let the trial end and don't mind waiting a bit, you will eventually get a deal for 6 months for $25.00, you do have to sign up for the regular price after the 6 month trial is over, but then you cancel again to get a refund and most likely you will get another 6 month trial in the mail shortly after that. I have friends that have done this for a few times. When you call to cancel they will offer you a year for around 90 bucks which is not bad, but you will get charged regular price after that. Cancel before the year is up and they will offer you the same deal for 90 bucks again. They do not want to lose anyone. iIm still getting 6 month trials for radio's I had 5 years ago.
Old 01-06-14, 07:35 AM
enoren
Pole Position

I'm not a fan of Sirius, so I've been monitoring their emails and mailings to see how low they really go. Since my free trial ended, they've gone down to $4.99 per month for 6 months. I haven't seen anything lower, but I've seen the $4.99 offer four times in the last month.
Old 01-06-14, 09:30 PM
amoney805
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Been wondering about this myself. My trial expired a couple of weeks ago and haven't received any calls yet, just mailings. I'll wait a couple of weeks then call and see what deal I get. Howard Stern and the Ellis show make a subscription worth it.
Old 01-06-14, 09:45 PM
iampraneel
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by phungy
My dealer (Park Place Grapevine) told me that it is 1 year, not the 90-day as listed. I'm not sure which is correct. I hope we get 1 year!
I think there was a DTR special where buyers are going to get a year. I got my welcome letter from SirusXM and it's free for a year.
Old 01-06-14, 09:50 PM
semoquer
Rookie

I've had XM for 4 years. every year i just call customer service up and say I want to cancel.

They transfer me to customer retention and start offering deals. Last time they offered me 109.99 for one year. I said nope.. They then offered me 69.99 for the year so i just grabbed it. I will call again next year!
Old 01-06-14, 10:17 PM
itsmike177
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

This.... the past 3 years, I have cancelled XM right before the my subscription ends, then wait about a month for the "6 months for $25 deal" to show up in the mail again.

Originally Posted by toyotatom
I had the same thing happen to another car, and one day I went for service and they found it and canceled it. Got about a year out of it.
If you let the trial end and don't mind waiting a bit, you will eventually get a deal for 6 months for $25.00, you do have to sign up for the regular price after the 6 month trial is over, but then you cancel again to get a refund and most likely you will get another 6 month trial in the mail shortly after that. I have friends that have done this for a few times. When you call to cancel they will offer you a year for around 90 bucks which is not bad, but you will get charged regular price after that. Cancel before the year is up and they will offer you the same deal for 90 bucks again. They do not want to lose anyone. iIm still getting 6 month trials for radio's I had 5 years ago.

Quick Reply: Best way to get a good deal on Sirius XM after free trial