IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Bad MPG is350 f sport

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-14, 05:25 AM
CtSFox
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by enoren
Surely you'd admit that poor seat heaters and slow navigation are subjective. There is no objective measure, and a lemon law claim seems excessive to me. Poor MPG, on the other hand, is objective and you should be able to demonstrate a false claim by Lexus.

I'll admit, I haven't had any of these problems, but you're acting like Lexus is ignoring your claims, when there really is no objective way to prove that there's something wrong with your car.
I have had my car for a year now and also experience none of these problems. However, if someone is so dissapointed and annoyed with with his 3IS and with Lexus, then more power to him if he can use the lemon law to finally put himself out of his misery
Old 11-28-14, 10:09 AM
dbs600
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by enoren
Surely you'd admit that poor seat heaters and slow navigation are subjective. There is no objective measure, and a lemon law claim seems excessive to me. Poor MPG, on the other hand, is objective and you should be able to demonstrate a false claim by Lexus.
Thanks for your reply, enoren.

It's objective because Lexus service bulletins continue to reference software updates to resolve navigation / radio slowness / delay. Also, heated seats can be measured with an IR thermometer, which I observed regional representatives compare my car to another.

Any thoughts on what "the vehicle showed a lack of necessary maintenance" means?

Last edited by dbs600; 11-28-14 at 07:33 PM.
Old 11-28-14, 11:56 AM
salvadorik
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dbs600
Thanks for your reply, enoren.

It's objective such that Lexus service bulletins continue to reference software updates to resolve navigation / radio slowness / delay. Also, heated seats can be measured and compared with an IR thermometer, which I observed regional representatives take note of at my dealer.

Any thoughts on what "the vehicle showed a lack of necessary maintenance" means?
Let me state my two cents on ur problems. In fact these are very common problems that most owners have and either they dont realize that or they simply dont care.

My 3IS 350 RWD gets around 16.5 mpg combined with apprx 50/50 highway/city ratio. I do drive it hard sometimes though. This engine by design is a thirsty engine. It is not a defected or not broken-in or anything like that. It is just an old but reliable engine that simply outclassed by competition. I dont think Lexus can and will do anything with respect to poor mpg. It sucks but it is what it is.

The heated seats is weird issue. Sometimes it seems they do the trick and i feel warm and nice temperature penetrates via jeans. But most of the time they are just too weak.

Slow and buggy nav is a well known issue so you are not alone here.

Now "the lack of maintenance " response is a standard run around kinda response. Your lexus has been maintained by a lexus dealer so the lack of maintenance argument is simply invalid. Keep in mind any manufacture wont be proactive by trying to address these kinda issues. They usually create these kinda obstacles for you so that you give up and dont pursue. The best remedy for that is a "demand letter" from attorney's office with clrealy stated demands and consequences if those demands are not met within a short period of time. Manufacturers dont take us seriously unless lawyers are involved. Trust me on that - been there done that.

Search for a good lemon law attorney and have him review ur case (usually for free). He will take ur case on a contingent fee basis so you wont pay him if the case is lost. If you win Lexus will pay for his fees.

Last edited by salvadorik; 11-28-14 at 12:04 PM.
Old 11-28-14, 01:38 PM
Spagolli94
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by salvadorik
My 3IS 350 RWD gets around 16.5 mpg combined with apprx 50/50 highway/city ratio. I do drive it hard sometimes though. This engine by design is a thirsty engine. It is not a defected or not broken-in or anything like that. It is just an old but reliable engine that simply outclassed by competition. I dont think Lexus can and will do anything with respect to poor mpg. It sucks but it is what it is.
I don't have a chance to do much highway driving. I'm typically stuck in the city going from stoplight to stoplight. My average speed is often under 10 mph, so I've give Lexus a pass on really poor MPG.

However, this Thanksgiving, I had a long road trip so I decided to see if I could get the best highway MPG possible. I drove very conservatively and only got 23 mpg, under the 26 mpg I was supposed to.

From my own experience and everything I've read, I don't think most are getting anywhere near the 19/26 that Lexus advertises. Therefore, isn't that false advertising?
Old 11-28-14, 01:39 PM
dbs600
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for the great advice, salvadorik!

Unfortunately, my mpg's are far worse than yours.

Didn't want to go the attorney route, but that may be the only option.

Last edited by dbs600; 11-28-14 at 03:30 PM.
Old 11-28-14, 01:41 PM
dbs600
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Spagolli94
Therefore, isn't that false advertising?
Yes, take a look at this article:

http://money.cnn.com/2012/11/02/auto...pg-overstated/

Last edited by dbs600; 11-28-14 at 01:58 PM.
Old 11-28-14, 03:00 PM
salvadorik
Lead Lap

Individually it will be really hard to sue Lexus as there are so many variables effecting MPG. These types of lawsuites are very technical and demand lots of analysis. So it might really expensive depending upon what the demand is. The class action lawsuit will spread the legal cost and mostly likely will yeild good enough settlement for all who are effected.
Old 11-28-14, 09:11 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

I can get 25 mpg on highway trips, so 19/26 seems reasonable to me. Around town I average 20. Mine is a 350 AWD.
Attached Thumbnails Bad MPG is350 f sport-image.jpg  
Old 11-29-14, 10:09 PM
sinakh89
Rookie

same here except that I live in Tehran! (and my car is a 250 not a 350 so it should have even better MPG! )
Old 11-30-14, 01:02 AM
nova123
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sinakh89
same here except that I live in Tehran! (and my car is a 250 not a 350 so it should have even better MPG! )
I initially was going to get the 250 because I assumed it would have consumed less petrol.. however going through forums they're too similar so I am happy i got the 350, it eats a little more but has much more power (if important to you) lol

My car just got to 8000 Km and I am getting 17L (13.8MPG) purely city driving, and if highway it goes to about 15L at best (15.68MPG)..

I was quite annoyed at first, not expecting it to consume as much petrol as the Kluger but it actually eats more haha

But looking around at other N/A V6s, you'd be surprised as they generally consume the same amount of fuel.
Old 11-30-14, 08:16 AM
dbs600
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by nova123
My car just got to 8000 Km and I am getting 17L (13.8MPG) purely city driving, and if highway it goes to about 15L at best (15.68MPG)...
How can you be satisfied with these numbers?

The car is rated much higher.
Old 11-30-14, 10:53 AM
nova123
Driver School Candidate

How can you be satisfied with these numbers?
The car is rated much higher.
Sorry just to be clear, I meant I'm happy I got the 350 over the 250 because there are no significant savings for fuel.

Overall I wouldn't say I am happy with fuel consumption, but I do enjoy the car and think it looks great - at the end of the day I'm not so sure what else I could have bought for the same money, that looks as great or drives as well..

Except maybe the S3 sedan, would have been the only other car I would have considered if not the 7 months waiting list at time I purchased.
Old 11-30-14, 11:25 AM
RoiteTrom
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by nova123
I initially was going to get the 250 because I assumed it would have consumed less petrol.. however going through forums they're too similar so I am happy i got the 350, it eats a little more but has much more power (if important to you) lol

My car just got to 8000 Km and I am getting 17L (13.8MPG) purely city driving, and if highway it goes to about 15L at best (15.68MPG)..

I was quite annoyed at first, not expecting it to consume as much petrol as the Kluger but it actually eats more haha

But looking around at other N/A V6s, you'd be surprised as they generally consume the same amount of fuel.
Do you do a lot of idling while driving around? Or just stop and go?
Old 12-01-14, 10:54 PM
sinuspain
Driver School Candidate

Just got my car and its getting 13.5 mpg. Mostly city. I think this is pretty bad...going to mention it when I take it to the service department for an iphone connection that isn't stable...
Old 12-01-14, 11:04 PM
RoiteTrom
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by sinuspain
Just got my car and its getting 13.5 mpg. Mostly city. I think this is pretty bad...going to mention it when I take it to the service department for an iphone connection that isn't stable...
Wow 13.5 is the worst I've heard so far. Do you idle a lot? Do you constantly have your foot on the gas pedal? Slamming on brakes?

Quick Reply: Bad MPG is350 f sport