Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > IS Models > IS - Third Generation
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

I think the stock headlamps aren't bright enough?

Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-07-14, 12:46 AM   #16
jdot85
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: BC
Posts: 38
Default

I did a HID projector retrofit a few years ago and the TL projectors from that generation actually have the brightest and widest beam pattern compared to any other vehicle's OEM projectors.
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
jdot85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-14, 01:41 AM   #17
tea
Pole Position
Trader Score: (0)
 
tea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: CA
Posts: 334
Default

if you can't see with these headlights, HID or LEDs, maybe you shouldn't even be driving at night
tea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-14, 05:07 AM   #18
Bass Mech
Lexus Test Driver
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: colorado
Posts: 849
Default

I think the LED headlights are fine! But I did notice as with my other 3 Lexus vehicles they are aimed just a little too low. On my 2007 IS and 2008 GS both from the factory weren't in spec according to the official Lexus service manual.
My 2013 GS was only slightly too low
I have not adjusted the IS headlights yet but if you can park your car 25 feet from a wall the center slanted section of the beam pattern should be 1 inch lower than the measured height of the light itself.

If you look carefully there is a small circle at the center of the lens on each high and low beams.

Measure from the ground to this point

Then on your wall 25 feet away place a piece of tape 1 inch lower than this measurement
Your beam pattern should look like this
__________/------------ ________/-------

(Had to use a - sign because there is no character with a line at the top) but you get the idea
But the part in the center of the slanted part is the center of the beam
This should be 1 inch lower than the circle you measured at the lens at 25 feet.
Also the slant should be the same width as the lights at the car. If they are, it means your headlights are pointing straight ahead

If you get the lights adjusted correctly you'll find the coverage is very adequate
__________________
2014 Lexus IS 350 F sport RWD Obsidian Rojia
2013 Lexus GS 350 F sport AWD Obsidian Cabernet
2014 GMC Sierra 6.2l All-Terrian Black
previous cars last 5 years
2009 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 off road Supercharged Black Sand
2012 Corvette Z06 Centennial edition 1 of 194 made
2008 Corvette Z06 Black on Black
2008 Lexus GS 350 AWD and 2007 Lexus IS 350 RWD
Bass Mech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-14, 06:15 AM   #19
doctorttt
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: ny
Posts: 405
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass Mech View Post
I think the LED headlights are fine! But I did notice as with my other 3 Lexus vehicles they are aimed just a little too low. On my 2007 IS and 2008 GS both from the factory weren't in spec according to the official Lexus service manual.
My 2013 GS was only slightly too low
I have not adjusted the IS headlights yet but if you can park your car 25 feet from a wall the center slanted section of the beam pattern should be 1 inch lower than the measured height of the light itself.

If you look carefully there is a small circle at the center of the lens on each high and low beams.

Measure from the ground to this point

Then on your wall 25 feet away place a piece of tape 1 inch lower than this measurement
Your beam pattern should look like this
__________/------------ ________/-------

(Had to use a - sign because there is no character with a line at the top) but you get the idea
But the part in the center of the slanted part is the center of the beam
This should be 1 inch lower than the circle you measured at the lens at 25 feet.
Also the slant should be the same width as the lights at the car. If they are, it means your headlights are pointing straight ahead

If you get the lights adjusted correctly you'll find the coverage is very adequate
How do you adjust the aim of the LED headlights?

To the other forum member who said he had hit a few potholes, I too hit a few in the evening because of the headlights issue I'm experiencing.
__________________
2014 IS350 F-Sport AWD, Obsidian/Rioja Red, Navigation, Suntek Clear Bra, and Tinting (From Dealer)

GONE - 2006 IS350. Matador Red Mica. Black Interior. Sports. Nav. with Venture Guard clear bra. PIAA Ion Yellow fog bulbs
doctorttt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-14, 07:52 AM   #20
jcheng
Driver
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: TX
Posts: 139
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorttt View Post
How do you adjust the aim of the LED headlights?

To the other forum member who said he had hit a few potholes, I too hit a few in the evening because of the headlights issue I'm experiencing.
Theres a hole in the middle-rear of the headlight where you just put a long screwdriver into and turn.
jcheng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-14, 09:39 AM   #21
AdvanSLF
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (0)
 
AdvanSLF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: VA
Posts: 412
Default

If both headlights are no longer level then you'll need to have a friend's car to help you out. best time to do it is around sunset. have your friend put on their lights against a wall about 12-20 ft away. use some painters tape or any colored tap to outline the projector cutoff. then move your car to where his was positioned, put your lights on, and adjust accordingly so that you meet the tape. best option is to do it with both you and your friend having the same car. obviously your lighting level could deviate a bit if your friend had a different car or if there ride was lowered or not.
AdvanSLF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-14, 10:33 AM   #22
waxy
Driver
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: CA
Posts: 122
Default

If I can see white on a black paved road, it's bright enough for me.

You can always tap the high beans to do a quick check ahead of the road.
I usually do that, when driving home on 280, where deer, coyotes and even mountain lions are found on the road.
I've encountered them several times and would hate to hit a 800 pound animal.
waxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-14, 02:39 PM   #23
yardie876
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (0)
 
yardie876's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: SoFlo
Posts: 1,899
yardie7326
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by waxy View Post
If I can see white on a black paved road, it's bright enough for me. You can always tap the high beans to do a quick check ahead of the road. I usually do that, when driving home on 280, where deer, coyotes and even mountain lions are found on the road. I've encountered them several times and would hate to hit a 800 pound animal.
Man that's rough. I just have to watch out for the occasional iguana lol.
__________________
2013 GS F-Sport w/ DRS ~ HUD ~ ML ~ Viper SmartStart ~ LED Fogs
Liquid Platinum ~ Flaxen
Vossen CV7s
Joe Z Cat Back Exhaust
yardie876 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-14, 02:54 PM   #24
waxy
Driver
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: CA
Posts: 122
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardie876 View Post
Man that's rough. I just have to watch out for the occasional iguana lol.
I'm not a big fan of hitting animals on the road, I try to avoid it as much as possible.

Latest Information regarding a 200 lb mountain lion being hit by a car.
Compared to a 800lb + Male Adult Deer.

http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local...216458251.html

You do see animal remains on the road here and there, but many people collect them to eat if it's still fresh.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was Mr. and Mrs. Sasquatch.
waxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-14, 04:25 PM   #25
nabbun
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (0)
 
nabbun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: NJ
Posts: 3,611
nabbun.sechkie nabbun
Send a message via AIM to nabbun
Default

I have yet to see the 3IS headlights in person on a road at night. However, my RX350 retrofit with CBI bulbs is unmatched for width and depth. It's a fine balance between the 2. It's pretty epic. And I also agree with Hoovey. Anything is better than halogen!
__________________
2013 CT200h F-Sport Obsidian
Volk CE28RT | Kics R40 | Michelin PSS | Injen Short Ram Intake | F-Sport Springs | F-Sport Sway Bars | Tom's Chassis Bracing
AIMGAIN Body | Arkym Spoilers | IS-F Tips | Body Match Grille Surround | Beat Sonic FD03 | ARC Oil Cap | RX350 HID Retrofit
Admit nothing. Deny everything. Counter with false accusations.
11B Infantryman / 25U Signal Support Systems Specialist
Fidelis et Fortis
nabbun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-14, 04:25 PM
 
 
 
 
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Interior leds boostjnki IS - First Generation 0 10-07-14 07:53 PM
CAN-Toronto Lexus ISF IS250/350 Headlamps Not LED hahahaf 2Gen IS250 / IS350 / IS-F Classifieds (06-13) 2 11-03-13 05:23 AM
Will these work on sc400 stock headlights? Zigs SC 400/300 6 10-09-13 08:34 PM
Has anyone replaced the turn signal/headlamp combo switch? JEL LS400 4 09-17-12 05:41 PM
Audio upgrade rockyman GS - Fourth Generation 5 06-24-12 12:12 AM


Tags
250, aren39t, bright, brighter, ct200h, headlights, lexus, sc400

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:20 PM.

Join ClubLexus
Advertising


Copyright © 2000-2008 Internet Brands, Inc. All Rights Reserved
Privacy Policy | Disclaimer | Terms of Use | JOBS


Get all contact info