Question about driving in snow condition

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-14, 08:02 AM
doctorttt
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Question about driving in snow condition

Hi there,

NYC just had a snowstorm, resulting about 6" of snow. First, I'd like to find out what the Snow mode on the 3IS will do when I activate it? (I didn't feel any difference when I turned on it while driving under snow condition.)

Second, I'm not used to driving on snowy roads. I was slowly braking the car on a road covered with a mixture of snow and slush, and the brake pedal pushed my foot out a little. I'm wondering what causes this. I hope that there is nothing wrong with my brake.

Thanks
Old 01-04-14, 09:01 AM
SonyHome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by doctorttt
Hi there,

NYC just had a snowstorm, resulting about 6" of snow. First, I'd like to find out what the Snow mode on the 3IS will do when I activate it? (I didn't feel any difference when I turned on it while driving under snow condition.)

Second, I'm not used to driving on snowy roads. I was slowly braking the car on a road covered with a mixture of snow and slush, and the brake pedal pushed my foot out a little. I'm wondering what causes this. I hope that there is nothing wrong with my brake.

Thanks
I believe snow mode may use lower torque when you are starting out and may even start from 2nd gear.

As for the brake, what you may be feeling is ABS kicking in when it detects slipping during braking.
Old 01-04-14, 09:27 AM
MrBlonde
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can confirm that it reduces the torque; drove in an icy street the other day with snow mode on. And no matter how hard to push the throttle, it would not accelerate beyond the point where it still has has enough grip.
Old 01-04-14, 12:06 PM
UncleSpud
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SonyHome
I believe snow mode may use lower torque when you are starting out and may even start from 2nd gear.

As for the brake, what you may be feeling is ABS kicking in when it detects slipping during braking.
+1 to what Sony said. You might also consider a set of dedicated snow tires, like Bridgestone Blizzaks, which will really increase your confidence (and safety) in ice and snow.