IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models
View Poll Results: Did you buy for performance or appearance? Choose ONE most important feature:
Purely because of the external appearance of the 3IS
27.27%
I was looking for a fast performance sedan
15.58%
Cool new tech and the interior of the 3IS
15.58%
Reliability and the reputation of the Lexus brand
31.17%
Something else
10.39%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: Did you buy for performance or appearance?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-13, 02:01 PM
enoren
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Poll: Did you buy for performance or appearance?

Giving it some real thought, it occurred to me that I chose the 3rd generation IS based mostly on its external appearance. As a result, I really don’t care when other people complain about it’s older engine or slow(er) acceleration… those aren’t why I bought the car. It no longer bothers me when 350 owners make snide remarks here on CL toward 250 owners, because my car looks just as good as theirs. So, on to the question…

Lexus 3IS owners, did you buy for performance or appearance? Choose the ONE most important factor. Feel free to rank all factors or add new ones in the comments, but just choose the most important factor for you.
Old 12-31-13, 02:08 PM
Obscene14
Driver

None of the above. I bought my 250 because of the interior ergonomics. The interior fits me like it was custom made for me. The seats are the most comfortable of any car I've had and I don't have to stretch in the least to reach any controls. The car just fits me like a custom made suit.
Old 12-31-13, 02:11 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

External is my vote, but also for internal design/quality, and Lexus reliability/brand.
Old 12-31-13, 02:43 PM
Slust
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not for either really. For me it was the best all around car for the price.

Looks:
Best looking car I test drove. BMW was 2nd for me.

Performance (Speed):
It wasn't really that competitive compared to the S4 and 335i I test drove ...and even the Q50 is a nudge faster. The 350 has enough real world power for me and my needs so while it didn't win me over on performance it at least didn't disappoint. The Lexus is simply ok in this category. These engines do have really nice power curves though. There is power to be tapped into once you learn the engine.

Reliability:
Huge factor for me since I am buying and not leasing. BMWs and Audi are notoriously bad in this category and their after warranty maintenance is quite expensive. Mercedes also lost me after some friends told me their experciences. This made the Lexus the most attractive option in the luxury sport sedan segment for this category.

Cockpit / Comfort:
The seats were simply the most comfortable seats out of all the cars I test drove. I thought it would go to Audi or Mercedes but once I drove them all it wasn't even close. I will say the Mercedes impressed me more on its fit and finish and I definitely like the look of the BMW/Audi nav system more, but found more functionality in the Lexus nav system. The Q50 is definitely very nice in this category too, but with the seats and the awesome F-Sport tach gauge the Lexus got the Wow factor from me. I have some gripes (no butt cooler f-sport, no dig clock) but I had some gripes with all the cars so it really came down to the Lexus wow'd me where as the others were simply acceptable.

Handling:
I did not test drive the Caddy so perhaps my opinion would change if I did but compared to the cars I did test drive I liked the Lexus a lot more. So it won me over here too. If the BMW wasn't numb it would be an easy 2nd as it was precise just like the Lexus and the 328i was very nimble ...even more so than the IS350. The 328i lacked the power the 335i and IS350 had and was still as (or more depending on the options) as expensive as the 350 F-Sport which made no sense. The 335i needed at least $14k more to match the option packages of the 350F-Sport so that in addition to the numb handling made BMW look overhyped in my opinion. The other cars didn't really even come close in handling. The way the Q50 artificially pumps "feedback" into the steering column just annoys me. I'd rather it be numb than trying to fake me out.

Cost:
As I alluded to in the above categories the Lexus had a stellar price compared to the competition. The only competitor in this category is the Q50 ...and well the Caddy, if I had test drove the Caddy. In fact, I would probably rate the Q50 a nudge better than the IS350 in terms of what you get for the price but it wasn't enough to sway me. I'd rather pay a grand or two more for a car I will enjoy more.

All in all there were things I flat out loved about each car in this segment but the Lexus was somewhere around the top in all categories ...but one. The only category I'd say it needs work in is the performance (HP/Torque) segment. If the 250 had about 40-60 more HP it would rock that segment. If the 350 had 20-30 more HP it would own the market.
Old 12-31-13, 02:59 PM
aTeAse
Lead Lap

I would buy a Lexus. I would lease a BMW, Audi, Benz.

I'm not rich and my time is limited; so I prefer, affordability and reliability, while enjoying luxury.

The 3IS 350 is just the best all around car versus its competitors(i.e. BMW 335i, Benz C350, etc.). Factoring in price, performance, reliability, exterior and interior quality/styling to me the 3IS 350 is clearly the winner.

I still hate the fact that the 3IS needs a serious tech upgrade... Even my iPhone feels faster.

Last edited by aTeAse; 12-31-13 at 03:03 PM.
Old 12-31-13, 04:46 PM
IS350S2K
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Luxury. Some would say it isn't luxurious but it is the level of luxury I desire. Growing up with parents who only bought Mercs, I don't really care for S class luxury. I think with those kind of cars, it isn't how you got there but the way you got there feeling very comfortable. With the IS, I have a mix of both. I enjoy driving it while it still pampers me.
Old 12-31-13, 05:43 PM
wulfstan
Rookie

Didn't want a BMW, MERCEDES, or AUDI... Always been a Toyota fan, and wanted Luxury, elegance, styling, performance... It became my wife's car so didn't need the pure power of an IS-F...

We're happy it has performance and appearance in the same package...

Johnny

1985 Toyota Corolla GT-S Red Hatchback (AE86) 157k miles
1987 Toyota Supra Turbo Pearl White (MA70) 101k miles
Old 01-01-14, 12:36 PM
enoren
Pole Position

Originally Posted by IS350S2K
Luxury. Some would say it isn't luxurious but it is the level of luxury I desire.
But is luxury really a differentiating factor for the IS? Would you say it's better (or even different) from an ES or GS? I agree that it's a great luxury car, but I guess I don't see that as a deciding factor.
Old 01-01-14, 12:48 PM
eyeball
Lead Lap

I bought it based on looks. I have owned only Lexus for more than a decade, so performance is always a given. But the 3IS is a departure from anything else on the road. I wanted it first year out!
Old 01-01-14, 01:49 PM
bucanero
Pole Position

The 3IS has that "New Kid on the Block" feel. New body trim and overall look and feel to previous cersion. Audi A/S4, BMW 328/335, Mercedes C-Class, have been out with same body shape for atleast a year. This had some play into my overall choice. Though I did love the S4, my 350 F Sport has a clear advantage in looks. I was really breaking necks out the dealer with it and it just confirmed that I had made a great choice.
Old 01-02-14, 01:49 PM
iPinky
Driver

Hmm... For me, it's a toss-up between performance and appearance. Both attributes have shifted for me before getting the car. My previous car was the 2IS. In all honestly, I was appalled when I first saw the the 3IS in its reveal. I was sure then that I was going to stick to my 2IS until the next redesign following the 3IS. I looked at the specs and really loved it for that and the technology included. But I just could not get over the grille, separate LED headlights, and the taillight that wrapped to the side. The fish hook LEDs reminded me of Nike.

However, as I kept reading good things about the 3IS and I saw it in person at the LA Auto Show, I was intrigued. I wasn't fully sold on the front, but I was willing to overlook it. When I went to the dealership, I saw the many 3ISes sitting on the lot, but none stole my heart until I saw a F-Sport in obsidian with the black rims. I didn't even test drive it before purchase. My first time driving a 3IS F-Sport was when I picked up my car from the dealer. Haha.
Old 01-29-14, 04:18 PM
Vairox
Pit Crew

Reliability>Performance>Appearance

Previous vehicle was a 2011 WRX so reliability was more important than performance, can't have everything. IS is still quick enough though.
Old 01-29-14, 08:41 PM
TheShaddix
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Hard to say which one was the most important side of it when it has so many good features. This poll is not fair!!! I can't decide. But probably the way it drove is what really confirmed my pre-made decision

Last edited by TheShaddix; 01-29-14 at 08:46 PM.
Old 01-30-14, 07:30 AM
JGard18
Pole Position

Combination of performance and looks. I know this car isn't going to be the fastest thing out there, and I've owned a few other faster cars in the past like an S2000 and modded WRX. I needed a family hauler that was stylish, comfortable, and fun to drive. To me "Fun to drive" does not equal raw performance numbers. Perhaps if I was still back in my 20s I would have been hung up on something like that, but I'm older and smarter and know it comes down to much more than numbers.

The only real competition for me was the Q50. My wife hated the looks of the ATS, I don't trust the reliability of the BMW, I'd never own an Audi or Mercedes, so those were out. When I drove the Q50 I wanted to fall asleep, it was just so boring. Can't really put a finger on why, either. Add to the that the tiny-*** trunk and the requirement to get things like their steering by wire and lane departure assist if you want split folding rear seats, that car just took itself out of the market for me. I always liked the looks of this new IS, and I also really like how elegant the Q50 looks, but they're so very different. In the end, this car just fit my personality and desires much better.

But I do wish like a TRD supercharger would be available for this thing, that would be awesome.
Old 01-30-14, 07:37 AM
magne
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For me it was a combination of all of the above.
I previously drove an impreza STi, so I had the fun factor already.

I traded to the IS mainly becuase I wanted something that was cheaper to own.
With my IS300h I get stunning looks, good ride comfort, supreme build quality, nice interior, low running costs because of the hybrid, and in europe the custumer service of lexus is better than any other brand

I do sometimes miss the preformance of the old STi, and i often miss the supreme AWD system the STi had, but I'm still very happy that I changed to my IS.

Quick Reply: Poll: Did you buy for performance or appearance?