IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

What whispbar roof racks for the 3IS??

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-14, 01:49 AM
luusir916
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can you post a closeup shot of where it's mounted? I am curious how it stays on.
Old 01-07-14, 06:57 AM
jcheng
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by luusir916
Can you post a closeup shot of where it's mounted? I am curious how it stays on.
The feet is drilled and screwed into the roof if I remember correctly.
Old 01-07-14, 07:59 AM
Reeladdict
Driver

yes this kit requires you to drill through the roof. I am bummed because it looks so good compared to the other options but I dont want to have to weld/paint the roof when I return the car after lease end.
Old 01-08-14, 11:54 AM
RastaRacer
Lexus Champion

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

I still have not got around to installing my roof rack, I am waiting for a few other new mods to arrive and plan to do everything at once.
Old 01-08-14, 12:52 PM
jcheng
Pit Crew

Yeah... I purchased the kit as well but am reluctant on drilling holes into the roof....

Staring at it sitting on the floor and I keep getting second thoughts on installing it LOL
Old 01-08-14, 01:12 PM
aTeAse
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Drilling holes... big no no, imo. May not be good for resale, and definitely not good for a lease. haha Unless they dont notice it
Old 01-08-14, 01:43 PM
Reeladdict
Driver

I spoke with the guys over at Whispbar, they say their guys are working on a fit kit but who knows when that will be available.

I would give anything for my factory 2IS roof rack back, I bet you anything it fits and looks way better than any other aftermarket ones do because the bars dont stick out like 4 miles.
Old 01-20-14, 09:03 AM
morton87
Rookie

Good to hear there is a rack solution out there, I've been looking around but couldn't find anything. Too bad about the drilling though

Last edited by morton87; 01-20-14 at 09:07 AM.
Old 01-20-14, 05:16 PM
onepointon
Intermediate

Received 150 Likes on 49 Posts

Rastaracer - Is your kit the same one that drills into the roof? That first picture makes it look like it is the rack that grips the door jam. Is that incorrect?

I too have been really looking for a rack, but don't want to drill my roof because its a lease.
Old 01-20-14, 05:32 PM
Reeladdict
Driver

No Rastaracers requires drilling, its the only one that is "available" even though its not specifically built for our cars.

I wish they made a kit that drills into the rain gutters, that way it would be under the moulding when we returned the cars and they would never know.
Old 01-20-14, 05:53 PM
onepointon
Intermediate

Received 150 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Reeladdict
No Rastaracers requires drilling, its the only one that is "available" even though its not specifically built for our cars.

I wish they made a kit that drills into the rain gutters, that way it would be under the moulding when we returned the cars and they would never know.
If you look at the roof, you will see that there is a seam weld, not a drip rail.

I wish Lexus offered roof rack mounts built in to the roof, similar to European cars, Subaru, ect..
Old 01-21-14, 09:29 AM
morton87
Rookie

I just got this back from Yakima.....

================

We have not finished our evaluation of the 2014 IS 350 F Sport as of this time. We evaluate each new model year to make absolutely sure no changes were made to the vehicle from the previous year before we post the fit information on the internet and in our paper fit guide. We are working as hard as we can to get fits done, and apologize for any inconvenience caused. I have logged that you requested a fit for the vehicle, which will help show our fit team there is demand for it. Once the vehicle has been evaluated, www.yakima.com will be updated with the information (follow the “Fit My Car” link).

I have logged that you requested a fit for your car, which will help show our engineers there is demand for it. Once the vehicle has been evaluated, www.yakima.com will be updated with the information (follow the “Fit My Car” link).

Thank you for your inquiry!
Yakima Customer Support

=================

Slackers hurry up already :P
Old 01-21-14, 01:09 PM
RastaRacer
Lexus Champion

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by onepointon
Rastaracer - Is your kit the same one that drills into the roof? That first picture makes it look like it is the rack that grips the door jam. Is that incorrect?

I too have been really looking for a rack, but don't want to drill my roof because its a lease.
My kit does require drilling into the roof, I haven't installed yet as I am waiting on some other mods I have coming and will have everything done at once.
Old 02-28-14, 07:46 AM
FSPORTJC
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a complete Thule kit that I used on my 2012 Camry SE. I am unpatiently waiting for Thule to make a fit kit for the 3iS!!
Old 02-28-14, 08:32 AM
jcheng
Pit Crew

I ripped off the rear bumper last week and there isn't much mounting points for a hitch. Hence nothing is out for it surprisingly.

Just purchased a Bones trunk rack for the time being. Getting tired of take wheels off and stuffing them into the car!

Quick Reply: What whispbar roof racks for the 3IS??