IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Remote Start/Enform 3G Retire

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-23, 11:41 AM
acortazzo
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Remote Start/Enform 3G Retire

Hi all, I have a 17 IS 300F. Is there a workaround to be able to remote start the car now that they retired via app?
Old 01-18-23, 04:39 PM
useddonut
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think something like this might work:

https://www.12volt.solutions/product...32076308250727

I've been mulling over purchasing it after seeing it on a 3is youtube channel.
Old 01-18-23, 06:21 PM
acortazzo
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I find it so ridiculous Lexus can discontinue something like this for the amount they charge a car. Anyone else use this thing?
Old 01-20-23, 05:56 PM
richieca
Driver

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

I dont think its Lexus fault, it runs on 3G thats the technology thats going away. On newer cars its being rolled into the Lexus app.
Old 01-23-23, 12:32 PM
HeadShot
Driver

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

Not sure why Lexus didn't send an OTA update (to those impacted) to unlock the remote start feature, to be able to at least remote start from the fob. Although the wireless service was being discontinued, Lexus should have stepped up.
The following users liked this post:
wycy (01-26-23)
Old 01-23-23, 03:34 PM
richieca
Driver

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

I dont think car manufacturers are known for keeping up with technology they all still just have essentially an iPad mounted on the dash as tech. Lexus especially they are still catching up to offer Android and Apple Car play, CD players are still present in certain models.
useddonut (01-25-23)
Old 01-29-23, 03:25 PM
Pittsy
Racer

Received 784 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally Posted by HeadShot
Not sure why Lexus didn't send an OTA update (to those impacted) to unlock the remote start feature, to be able to at least remote start from the fob. Although the wireless service was being discontinued, Lexus should have stepped up.
You gotta think about what you're asking here. Major cell carriers are taking down their 3G towers. These cars communicate to the outside world via 3G. These cars aren't capable of receiving OTA updates like the 12th generation multimedia systems(IE the 2022 NX, LX, the 2023 RX,ES,UX), but for the sake of the argument, lets pretend they can. The only method they are able to receive said updates is over 3G. There infrastructure simple doesn't exist like it used to in order to reach all of the affected cars.

I agree with you, they should've had some engineer come up with some way to use the newer 4G modems in the newer cars, with an adapter harness for the older cars. Could be an end user option that can be installed at the dealer.
Old 01-29-23, 03:46 PM
HeadShot
Driver

Originally Posted by Pittsy
You gotta think about what you're asking here. Major cell carriers are taking down their 3G towers. These cars communicate to the outside world via 3G. These cars aren't capable of receiving OTA updates like the 12th generation multimedia systems(IE the 2022 NX, LX, the 2023 RX,ES,UX), but for the sake of the argument, lets pretend they can. The only method they are able to receive said updates is over 3G. There infrastructure simple doesn't exist like it used to in order to reach all of the affected cars.

I agree with you, they should've had some engineer come up with some way to use the newer 4G modems in the newer cars, with an adapter harness for the older cars. Could be an end user option that can be installed at the dealer.
Fair point on the OTA update.

I guess my frustration lies ... I read somewhere that Lexus stated the ability to remote start the car from the key fob and not from the App (3 long presses of the lock button) was an unplanned outcome. Even if it meant they were able to flash the ECU at the dealership to allow remote start, or as you stated a special harness (whatever the fix) ... Just all around poor planning and poor execution.

I understand the need to decommission old equipment once it reaches the end of useful life, but a little thought behind it (other than abandon ship)... Would have been nice on an expensive luxury vehicle.
Old 01-29-23, 03:55 PM
Pittsy
Racer

Fair point on the OTA update.

I guess my frustration lies ... I read somewhere that Lexus stated the ability to remote start the car from the key fob and not from the App (3 long presses of the lock button) was an unplanned outcome. Even if it meant they were able to flash the ECU at the dealership to allow remote start, or as you stated a special harness (whatever the fix) ... Just all around poor planning and poor execution.

I understand the need to decommission old equipment once it reaches the end of useful life, but a little thought behind it (other than abandon ship)... Would have been nice on an expensive luxury vehicle.
Believe me, I get it. Im in the same boat. My 2015 RC is SOL too. Unfortunately it wasn't a decision made by Lexus. You have major cell carriers to thank for that. If the entire world ran out of gas tomorrow, and the only solution was to buy the new electric Lexus RZ, would you blame Lexus for not having gas any more? I mean after all, it is an expensive luxury vehicle.

Don't get me wrong here, I'm on your team, but Lexus doesn't have anything to say about 3G going down the drain. The ability to do remote start from the key has always been a feature exclusive to their subscription based service. It sucks its never been part of anything else, but why would they invest money into cars that are old when they can invest into their newer cars that are coming out?
HeadShot (01-29-23)
Old 01-29-23, 04:20 PM
HeadShot
Driver

Believe me, I get it. Im in the same boat. My 2015 RC is SOL too. Unfortunately it wasn't a decision made by Lexus. You have major cell carriers to thank for that. If the entire world ran out of gas tomorrow, and the only solution was to buy the new electric Lexus RZ, would you blame Lexus for not having gas any more? I mean after all, it is an expensive luxury vehicle.

Don't get me wrong here, I'm on your team, but Lexus doesn't have anything to say about 3G going down the drain. The ability to do remote start from the key has always been a feature exclusive to their subscription based service. It sucks its never been part of anything else, but why would they invest money into cars that are old when they can invest into their newer cars that are coming out?
2015 RC. BEAUTIFUL car! I think there was a 2021 RC at the dealership I loved, but it was red (ticket magnet). Lol

I hear you, and yes ... Definitely on the same team. I was sharing this conversation with my wife, and I literally said ... how you closed. Why would Lexus invest. There is no real revenue stream. Out with the old and in with the new. Maybe someone here will figure out a solution! Wouldn't surprise me lol.

Last edited by HeadShot; 01-29-23 at 04:29 PM.
Old 01-29-23, 05:27 PM
Pittsy
Racer

2015 RC. BEAUTIFUL car! I think there was a 2021 RC at the dealership I loved, but it was red (ticket magnet). Lol

I hear you, and yes ... Definitely on the same team. I was sharing this conversation with my wife, and I literally said ... how you closed. Why would Lexus invest. There is no real revenue stream. Out with the old and in with the new. Maybe someone here will figure out a solution! Wouldn't surprise me lol.
I tried. I bought the modem out of a 2019 RC, but none of the connectors are the same. I tried repinning it but ran into some issues. Even if I did get it to work, how do I re-enroll the car into Lexus enform? I can’t use my 2015 vin because it’ll lock me out due to age, if I use the new vin there’s no guarantee it’ll work, besides there might be some other issues with that. We’re all SOL
Old 02-06-23, 06:00 AM
HeadShot
Driver

I tried. I bought the modem out of a 2019 RC, but none of the connectors are the same. I tried repinning it but ran into some issues. Even if I did get it to work, how do I re-enroll the car into Lexus enform? I can’t use my 2015 vin because it’ll lock me out due to age, if I use the new vin there’s no guarantee it’ll work, besides there might be some other issues with that. We’re all SOL

This was mentioned earlier in the thread, but I believe the 12 volt product may be a solution. Doesn't appear too hard to install. Here's a video showing the install. Hope it helps anyone interested ...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=emzX0qyszxs
Old 02-15-23, 09:26 AM
OUT FOX EM
Pit Crew

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

The ability to do remote start from the key has always been a feature exclusive to their subscription based service.
This is odd because the GS can remote start via key fob without a subscription. You would think Lexus could implement the same thing in the IS.
Old 02-15-23, 05:25 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,508 Likes on 1,806 Posts

Originally Posted by OUT FOX EM
This is odd because the GS can remote start via key fob without a subscription. You would think Lexus could implement the same thing in the IS.
How do you do that? The ole "3 presses on the key fob and hold the last one", or something else?
HeadShot (02-15-23)
Old 02-18-23, 10:30 AM
Pittsy
Racer

Originally Posted by arentz07
How do you do that? The ole "3 presses on the key fob and hold the last one", or something else?
Thats how it works on all our cars with an active subscription, I'm surprised to see it works on a GS without a subscription.

I heard an official release from Lexus mentioned that it was an accident that the key fob remote start doesn't work without a subscription. Cant remember where I read that though.

Quick Reply: Remote Start/Enform 3G Retire