IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Turanza's

Old 12-19-13, 09:21 AM
doodlebug
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 71 Posts
Unhappy Turanza's

I forgot how much I hated these tires. They were the OEM tires on my last car (G35 with staggered rims) and the front tires only lasted about 15,000 miles. I can't wait to replace them.

Is it just me or are they super LOUD?
Old 12-19-13, 09:30 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 287 Likes on 208 Posts

Having come from a CT, the IS is quieter despite the Turanzas and compared to my 2IS which had the outdated Bridgestone Potenza RE92s, NVH is about the same.

I do hear some slight tire noise intruding into the cabin at higher speeds, more so than our RX with Michelins. I believe you they will only last 15k miles (~25k km) due to their poor 260 treadwear rating. They won't be on my shopping list in a year or so when it's time to buy new tires since they're also pricey for what you get. Will look for at least a 400 treadwear rating (~35-40k km).
Old 12-19-13, 10:33 AM
redcupr
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Before the IS, I had a Mini Cooper S...with the 45 series run-flat tires. Compared to that, the IS's Turanza's are an absolute joy!

It really depends on the pavement for me. Decent pavement results in very little noise, but there can be a low roar with older pavement. I'm very satisfied with the road noise level of the car, and the traction in both wet and dry are good for me. We should have some snow here east of Seattle tomorrow morning, so we'll test the snow abilities.
Old 12-19-13, 11:07 AM
doodlebug
Instructor

Originally Posted by redcupr
It really depends on the pavement for me. Decent pavement results in very little noise, but there can be a low roar with older pavement.
That's a fair statement; it's not like I'm riding on fresh pavement around here. I guess when the time comes, I'll have to figure out what to buy.
Old 12-19-13, 03:48 PM
hoosier1
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

These tires are great compared to the BMW run flat tires.
Old 12-19-13, 04:20 PM
UncleSpud
Pole Position

Originally Posted by hoosier1
These tires are great compared to the BMW run flat tires.
.....compared to any run flat tires. All of the IS 350 F Sport's close competitors (Q50, ATS, 328i) are in love with run flats. I'll take the OEM Bridgestones over them anytime. When I burn the Turanzas down though, I'm going for Michelin Pilot Super Sports. I have them on my Mustang GT and I love them. A less expensive, almost as good tire is the Continental Extreme Contact DW.

Last edited by UncleSpud; 12-19-13 at 04:28 PM.
Old 12-19-13, 04:48 PM
hoosier1
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dealership said most people replace the tires at 25,000 miles. If I keep the IS that long, Michelins are going on the car. My preference is the MXV4, but this tire may not fit the IS with 18 inch staggered wheels.
Old 12-19-13, 05:04 PM
iPinky
Driver

This is true about the tires on the IS, because the fronts sit pigeon-toed. Although the tires last for an average of 15k-20k miles, my 2IS' tires lasted for a little over 45k miles. I may or may not drive like a grandma.
It all depends on how you drive your car, but extending the life of the tires can be done. I'm hoping I can do the same for my 3IS.
Old 12-19-13, 05:10 PM
doodlebug
Instructor

Originally Posted by iPinky
This is true about the tires on the IS, because the fronts sit pigeon-toed. Although the tires last for an average of 15k-20k miles, my 2IS' tires lasted for a little over 45k miles. I may or may not drive like a grandma.
It all depends on how you drive your car, but extending the life of the tires can be done. I'm hoping I can do the same for my 3IS.
Since I don't want to extend the life of these tires, I'll be sure to not drive like a grandma.
I'm still adjusting my seat to get the "perfect" fit. It takes a while for me to become one with a car.
Old 12-19-13, 05:11 PM
CtSFox
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is it just the Turanzas that have a life of 15 - 20 K on the IS? Is this for the summer tires or the all season as well? Would some other brand , e.g. Michelin or Continental be more durable?
Old 12-19-13, 05:15 PM
doodlebug
Instructor

I replaced my Turanza's on my last car with Michelin Pilot Sport AS Plus and got many more miles. This of course was a switch from summer touring to all-seasons high-performance, but the tread pattern looked better anyway.
Old 12-19-13, 06:34 PM
mike927
Driver School Candidate

If the time comes to replace the tires on the 3IS, which tires would you recommend? Would those recommended tires affect the mpg at all?
Old 12-19-13, 06:49 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 287 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by CtSFox
Is it just the Turanzas that have a life of 15 - 20 K on the IS? Is this for the summer tires or the all season as well? Would some other brand , e.g. Michelin or Continental be more durable?
Treadwear is the indicator for life expectancy. Don't pay attention to tire manufacturer mileage claims since they're way overly optimistic. From my experience over many tire brands and cars owned, average about 10k km for every 100 treadwear value or real-world use. This is for mostly daily city driving with occasional spirited driving. So for the Turanzas, expect about 25-30k km which doesn't mean they'll be bald at that point but with a minimum amount of treadwear left - an amount low enough to warrant them to be replaced due to safety (traction) concerns (I typically replace them no lower than 3/10 in tread depth left).

Originally Posted by mike927
If the time comes to replace the tires on the 3IS, which tires would you recommend? Would those recommended tires affect the mpg at all?
I heavily consult TireRack for real-world reviews and testing, then balance my wishes against the price I'm willing to pay. The most expensive tire is not necessarily the best tire suited to your needs. Your needs may be comfort and fuel economy versus ultimate dry grip for instance.

For mpg consideration, you want to consider tires labeled LRR (Low Rolling Resistance) if you want to optimize fuel economy. The Turanzas are not LRR tires.

Last edited by corradoMR2; 12-19-13 at 06:52 PM.
Old 12-20-13, 01:12 AM
ybing
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

The first thing I told my dealer before talking about the price is to replace the Bridgestone for Pilot Super Sport !!!
Old 12-20-13, 01:20 AM
UncleSpud
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mike927
Mike, if you get LRR tires, plan on kissing performance goodbye. What you sacrifice in handling is not worth the 1 or 2 mpg gain. My wife had them on her Accord (Michelin "Energy") and they were abysmal. As I stated previously, at the other end of the spectrum are Michelin Pilot Super Sports (summer performance) which are sensational, but very expensive (I paid Tirerack $305/tire for 4 255-40-19's for my Mustang). Great tires for the sunbelt, and no mpg loss on my car. Don't underestimate what good tires can do for handling and overall enjoyment of the car.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Turanza's