Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > IS Models > IS - Third Generation
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Non Nav IS350s

Old 12-17-13, 08:08 PM   #1
dashmer
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)

Default Non Nav IS350s

Hi,

Been lurking in the forum here for several weeks to gather information on the new IS, which I am very close to pulling the trigger on. I noticed today that the models without the NAV system do not have the new remote touch mouse control and instead have a rotary controller. I understand the software is a bit different as well.

Is there much of a difference between the two software packages (i.e. capabilities)? Also, how do the two controls compare, is the rotary better or worse than the mouse?

Thanks in advance.
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
dashmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-13, 10:40 PM   #2
Bass Mech
Lexus Test Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashmer View Post
Hi,

Been lurking in the forum here for several weeks to gather information on the new IS, which I am very close to pulling the trigger on. I noticed today that the models without the NAV system do not have the new remote touch mouse control and instead have a rotary controller. I understand the software is a bit different as well.

Is there much of a difference between the two software packages (i.e. capabilities)? Also, how do the two controls compare, is the rotary better or worse than the mouse?

Thanks in advance.
i am biased, but honestly i wouldn't even date the money on a non nav luxury vehicle. too many things to like you can't get with a lesser car. to me its half the fun of the entire driving experience.
and the fact i never buy anything but the top of the line equipped model.
Bass Mech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-13, 06:29 PM   #3
corradoMR2
Lexus Champion

I have Nav with Remote Touch on the RX as the family hauler/trip vehicle, but on the IS, the additional cost (over 3500$ - 6000K$ in Canada depending on package) was not justified for me as my daily driver to work. The rare time I need to drive to an unknown destination, I pull out my 100$ Garmin and I'm good.

The US version has Enform which provides access to cool apps via your smartphone as well as subscription-free live traffic and weather. It is also a cheaper and standalone option if I'm not mistaken. The Canadian Nav lacks these features which makes the value proposition poor in my opinion if you don't care much for the other features in the packages like moonroof, memory seats, etc.

The Standard Audio Display (and Controller) has high-res graphics (just like the Nav version) giving you nice graphical displays on your music artists/albums, fuel economy graphs, HVAC controls, etc. Almost all the same functions as the Nav version, minus the Nav basically (in Canada). As for voice controls all essentials are there with the standard system minus nav-specific control: You can place phone calls by number or from your phone's address book by simply saying "call John Smith" (it has great voice-recognition); you can hear incoming texts and reply back, and a few other voice control functions related to music control.

As for ergonomics, the round **** works well and is intuitive and equally as effective as the Remote Touch Controller (from experience with my RX). The round **** behaves more like the German systems where you rotate the **** or push up/right/left/down to move your cursor, and push down to enter and select, whereas the remote touch is more mouse-like in movement. However, I find myself using the steering wheel mounted controls mostly as it's in easier reach for both the IS and the RX.

A final worthy incentive with the non-Nav, is the tray. This is a great spot to put your phone.

Since you're Canadian (Nova Scotia), personally, in summary, if you're budget conscious and don't need nav and the other packaged features, skip it. The standard Audio Display is so nicely crafted, operates well, and looks so slick, it exudes a premium look and feel (See pics below) If you were shopping for an ES or RX for that matter, the non-Nav displays are horrible black/white 80s LCD display that looks out of place in Lexus. In those cars I definitely would spend the extra cash on the Nav packages just for the look. Hope this helps. Good luck.
Attached Images

Last edited by corradoMR2; 12-18-13 at 06:36 PM..
corradoMR2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-13, 12:02 PM   #4
dashmer
Driver School Candidate

What an excellent reply. You hit all of the questions I had that I hadn't even put in the original post. Thanks very much. Yes, I am in NS and just in the negotiation stage with my dealer. Hoping we can strike a deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by corradoMR2 View Post
I have Nav with Remote Touch on the RX as the family hauler/trip vehicle, but on the IS, the additional cost (over 3500$ - 6000K$ in Canada depending on package) was not justified for me as my daily driver to work. The rare time I need to drive to an unknown destination, I pull out my 100$ Garmin and I'm good.

The US version has Enform which provides access to cool apps via your smartphone as well as subscription-free live traffic and weather. It is also a cheaper and standalone option if I'm not mistaken. The Canadian Nav lacks these features which makes the value proposition poor in my opinion if you don't care much for the other features in the packages like moonroof, memory seats, etc.

The Standard Audio Display (and Controller) has high-res graphics (just like the Nav version) giving you nice graphical displays on your music artists/albums, fuel economy graphs, HVAC controls, etc. Almost all the same functions as the Nav version, minus the Nav basically (in Canada). As for voice controls all essentials are there with the standard system minus nav-specific control: You can place phone calls by number or from your phone's address book by simply saying "call John Smith" (it has great voice-recognition); you can hear incoming texts and reply back, and a few other voice control functions related to music control.

As for ergonomics, the round **** works well and is intuitive and equally as effective as the Remote Touch Controller (from experience with my RX). The round **** behaves more like the German systems where you rotate the **** or push up/right/left/down to move your cursor, and push down to enter and select, whereas the remote touch is more mouse-like in movement. However, I find myself using the steering wheel mounted controls mostly as it's in easier reach for both the IS and the RX.

A final worthy incentive with the non-Nav, is the tray. This is a great spot to put your phone.

Since you're Canadian (Nova Scotia), personally, in summary, if you're budget conscious and don't need nav and the other packaged features, skip it. The standard Audio Display is so nicely crafted, operates well, and looks so slick, it exudes a premium look and feel (See pics below) If you were shopping for an ES or RX for that matter, the non-Nav displays are horrible black/white 80s LCD display that looks out of place in Lexus. In those cars I definitely would spend the extra cash on the Nav packages just for the look. Hope this helps. Good luck.
dashmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-13, 06:40 PM   #5
corradoMR2
Lexus Champion

Glad to help.

A tip. The dealer will want to sell you an optioned IS as the profits are greater (obviously). Lexus Canada dealers like Lexus USA ones pre-order optioned vehicles for their lots. So when you arrive at the dealer, they hope you will fall in love with the one on the lot and go for the more expensive IS because they will claim the "base" IS is rare and will require a long wait. This is true however since you may need to get your car ordered if they don't fine one available in Canada. The wait will be about 3 months but like several of us in this forum (including myself) can attest to, it was a long but worthwhile wait since we got exactly what we wanted.

Keep us posted.

corradoMR2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-13, 11:31 AM   #6
st1013
Driver School Candidate

Great Post, I ordered a IS350 without Nav a couple months ago. Dealer only had fully loaded models and nothing I really wanted to pay extra for.
st1013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-13, 11:31 AM