IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Lfa style wheels installed!

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-13, 07:22 PM
jennypenny
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Bass Mech
K guys I know several of you have been waiting to see the final outcome. Having some problems getting the TPMS programmed at the tire shop so I had to come to the dealer to get that fixed. I just hope they don't charge me an arm and leg to reprogram them.

Anyway my first stop was at home to make another attempt to stuff the rear wheel into the fender as far as I can to see if there was going to be any rubbing. I put 2 bricks under the tire and jacked up the opposite front wheel to try to simulate a load in the rear, despite my best effort I could not get it up in the fender any more than is shown here, I don't think they will rub though.

I snapped a couple pics as they took it in for service so I will share those now.

what tires are you using? whats your take on these tires?
Old 12-17-13, 08:19 PM
iampraneel
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I am happy to report the ride quality is every bit as good as the factory and might be a tad quieter then the factory tires.
Are you running the Cont DW's? I was thinking of going with 225/40 and 265/35 on the stock F rims with the DW's.

Also, do you or anyone know why they didn't go with 255/40 in the rear for the 3IS like they did in the 2IS? I personally like that look.

Last edited by iampraneel; 12-17-13 at 08:27 PM.
Old 12-17-13, 08:24 PM
BOBFSPORT
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"i hate lowered cars, i think they look stupid!"

I completely agree with this statement! Car and wheels look great my friend!

Cheers, Jordan
Old 12-17-13, 09:24 PM
Bass Mech
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jennypenny
what tires are you using? whats your take on these tires?
they are continental extreme contact DW
so far very impressed with them, i know they are good performance tires and surprised how quiet they are, that was my main concern.
they also supposed to be real good in the wet, not good at all in the cold.
Old 12-17-13, 09:31 PM
Bass Mech
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Prepboy607
Are you running the Cont DW's? I was thinking of going with 225/40 and 265/35 on the stock F rims with the DW's.

Also, do you or anyone know why they didn't go with 255/40 in the rear for the 3IS like they did in the 2IS? I personally like that look.
yes they are, and IMO lexus put way too narrow of tires on the stock wheels. i would have been fine with an 18" wheel but to get the width you need to go with a lower profile tire, and by the time you get enough width back and still maintain the same height, they are too wide for the factory rim.
if the rims were 8.5 front and 9.5 rear which IMO is barely a staggered fitment (8f front -8.5 rear is a joke)
you have a hard time finding tires that aren't too narrow in the front and too wide in the rear.

my corvette was awesome, it had 19 in the front 10 inches wide and 20" in the rear 12 inches wide looked sick!
but the fronts were as wide as the widest rears on most cars and only 2 companies make rears in a 325/25/20 and they cost about 550 each.
Old 12-17-13, 09:39 PM
tlr
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks good i like it.
Old 12-17-13, 09:46 PM
Bass Mech
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by BOBFSPORT
"i hate lowered cars, i think they look stupid!"

I completely agree with this statement! Car and wheels look great my friend!

Cheers, Jordan
thank you! lately i have been more and more impressed with the comments i have been getting on my car. i was worried with all the ricers I've seen posting that if i didn't have airbags on my car, rims too wide and tires too narrow or powder coated yellow or a stupid body kit or a loud hot air intake i wouldn't be fully accepted here.
but it seems there are more adults in here than i originally thought.
sweet!

you know in all honesty all I've really done are a few simple items that either stick on, or are easily removed.
the tint, clear bra and black pear emblems and wheels and tires.

the electronics i installed can be removed in less than 10 minutes. but i agree i think the car looks sweet, i think if you start with a good color like black and a pretty good looking car to begin with it doest take much to personalize it without cannibalizing it.
the car stands pretty well on it's own.

just felt the wheels were kinda pathetic
Old 12-18-13, 02:56 PM
wulfstan
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

thank you! lately i have been more and more impressed with the comments i have been getting on my car. i was worried with all the ricers I've seen posting that if i didn't have airbags on my car, rims too wide and tires too narrow or powder coated yellow or a stupid body kit or a loud hot air intake i wouldn't be fully accepted here.
sweet!

you know in all honesty all I've really done are a few simple items that either stick on, or are easily removed.

the electronics i installed can be removed in less than 10 minutes. but i agree i think the car looks sweet, i think if you start with a good color like black and a pretty good looking car to begin with it doest take much to personalize it without cannibalizing it.

Thanks for your honesty, I love the wheels and stance. I was looking at Factory TRD springs for drop as a personal touch, but only to maintain the look of the TRD body kit I was planning on getting.

I agree slammed cars are for the younger crowd and people who can afford voiding their warranties...

I'll keep everyone posted... just waiting for christmas to be done to order the entire body kit... We'll see if Santa bringing me nice present...$$$ for her car... hahahaha

Johnny

Last edited by wulfstan; 12-18-13 at 02:58 PM. Reason: added sig
Old 12-18-13, 09:42 PM
BOBFSPORT
Lead Lap

sweet!

Same here i have only done a few simple mods. Debadged the Rear, Black Pearl Emblems and Center Caps, 15% Tint all around, I just can't justify changing the wheels as i love the design and color, although the wheel wells do look better with 19s. Dropping the car does not only look ricer imo but it also takes away from the cars daily driver functionality and depending on the drop compromises the suspension (the best part about this car). My final mod in the next few weeks or so is to vinyl wrap (black) the grille and window surrounds and that is it!!
Old 12-19-13, 06:27 AM
Bass Mech
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by BOBFSPORT
Same here i have only done a few simple mods. Debadged the Rear, Black Pearl Emblems and Center Caps, 15% Tint all around, I just can't justify changing the wheels as i love the design and color, although the wheel wells do look better with 19s. Dropping the car does not only look ricer imo but it also takes away from the cars daily driver functionality and depending on the drop compromises the suspension (the best part about this car). My final mod in the next few weeks or so is to vinyl wrap (black) the grille and window surrounds and that is it!!
i was pretty sure i was going to black out the chrome around the grille and the windows, i even bought the material.
but for now i think I'm going to leave it stock for now.
just looking at the car i feel i have the black enough look i was looking for so ill see how it grows on me for now.

I never liked the liked the idea of removing the badges totally, i like the look of the black pearl on black. they are still there, just not as obvious.
Old 12-19-13, 10:56 AM
BOBFSPORT
Lead Lap

i was pretty sure i was going to black out the chrome around the grille and the windows, i even bought the material.
but for now i think I'm going to leave it stock for now.
just looking at the car i feel i have the black enough look i was looking for so ill see how it grows on me for now.

I never liked the liked the idea of removing the badges totally, i like the look of the black pearl on black. they are still there, just not as obvious.
Funny you should say this. I blacked out the chrome trim on my GS (obsidian) and I took it off less then a week later. It looks better with some contrast IMO. Also the black pearl badging looks excellent on Obsidian IMO. I think on the Nebula the black trim will contrast nicely though. We shall see!
Old 05-06-15, 03:02 PM
jeeper2269
Pole Position

Do you have any other pics of you IS? I am looking at those wheels and the pics are pretty dark.

Any side pics ?

Issues with them?

Thanks