IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

why does my GS sound more sporty than my IS?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-13, 03:54 PM
BOBFSPORT
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bass Mech
well i swapped intakes front eh GS and IS and there was no difference whatsoever, they are in fact the same part!
so that leaves exhaust. strange though i definitely hear the growl from under the hood not in the rear of the car.
does anyone have aftermarket exhaust that can verify swapping it out makes a difference?
Haha you da man. I figured the intakes are the same but I still think it has to do with the dash design and material. I think the sound is delivered into the cabin better/easier in the GS and in the IS the sound delivery is for whatever reason muffled in comparison.
Old 12-27-13, 08:26 AM
Alantjai
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try to open both engine hood and let 2 other to rev THE engines, this should answer Your questions.
Old 01-07-14, 11:16 PM
Slust
Pole Position

Tonight reminded me of this topic. When I first test drove the car I wasn't too impressed with the engine as it sounded a bit whiny to me ...well compared to other sport sedans. So far all the videos I've watched confirmed that is the engine feedback I will get.

I been babying my car since I got it. In fact, I managed (somehow ) to drive home from the dealership while not breaking 2k RPM. Since then I still don't see how I've done that even though 8th gear takes it to just above 1k RPM and you don't break 2k till 70mph.

tldr;
I finally broke 5k RPM (I don't think my friends would believe this but you guys would) and WOW ...talk about deep growl! Where was this growl on the test drive or in the 20+ videos I've watched. Everyone here is completely unimpressed with the engine roar but this roar sounded like it came from the belly of a beast. I might have to stick with snowbeast for the name.

Though now I'm curious as to why it sounded deeper and more beefy than I remember. Perhaps the cold weather? It does seem like this would be the perfect time to test out its 0-60 time as the humidity is fairly low and 37F is a good temp as you get the cold air but it's not too cold. So maybe my car will go back to being mild mannered Clark Kent in the springtime. It's almost worth recording though, because it took me by surprise.
Old 01-08-14, 05:45 AM
LexFather

Its not just you, for whatever reasons the GS at full throttle is much louder and sexier sounding than the IS. I've heard about the GS secondary intake into the cabin but don't recall reading about it for the IS.
Old 01-08-14, 06:57 AM
Bass Mech
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by LexFather
Its not just you, for whatever reasons the GS at full throttle is much louder and sexier sounding than the IS. I've heard about the GS secondary intake into the cabin but don't recall reading about it for the IS.
i have looked for this and i cannot find anything that goes into the cabin, do you have more details?
Old 01-08-14, 05:08 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,064 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Bass Mech
i have looked for this and i cannot find anything that goes into the cabin, do you have more details?
Just that same "Sound Creator" that points to the Drivers side firewall...

~ Joe Z
Old 01-08-14, 08:46 PM
Slust
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LexFather
Wwell, if the GS does sound sexier than I really want to test drive that car than! I got NO probs with how my IS sounds. It already sounds deep and bassy.

I was behind a 427r today and we both punched it at the same time. Neither of us full throttle but I know he heard me because he did shuffle step deciding whether or not he wanted to keep going or not and decided against it. Both engines growling at the same time was just awesome. I still prefer how Mustangs sound though, always have, especially the GT500. The IS still gets plenty of looks when I hit 5k RPM.

So if the GS is better all I can say is, niiiiiiiiiice!
Old 01-08-14, 09:25 PM
BOBFSPORT
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Slust
Wwell, if the GS does sound sexier than I really want to test drive that car than! I got NO probs with how my IS sounds. It already sounds deep and bassy.

I was behind a 427r today and we both punched it at the same time. Neither of us full throttle but I know he heard me because he did shuffle step deciding whether or not he wanted to keep going or not and decided against it. Both engines growling at the same time was just awesome. I still prefer how Mustangs sound though, always have, especially the GT500. The IS still gets plenty of looks when I hit 5k RPM.

So if the GS is better all I can say is, niiiiiiiiiice!
That's intake you are hearing. Sadly the IS doesn't make much noise through the exhaust so I doubt he heard what you did.
Old 01-09-14, 06:10 AM
AdvanSLF
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by BOBFSPORT
That's intake you are hearing. Sadly the IS doesn't make much noise through the exhaust so I doubt he heard what you did.
with the IS and GS, both have the same intakes, sound generator, and engine, but yet sounds completely different, even at low revs at a stand still. so you're right, it must be the exhaust. i can't get over how amazing the sound is on the GS even at low revs. i wonder if anyone has modified a GS exhaust to be put on an IS?
Old 01-09-14, 06:49 AM
Bass Mech
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Joe Z
Just that same "Sound Creator" that points to the Drivers side firewall...

~ Joe Z
the intakes are identical, I've even swapped them! my GS intake is in my IS and the IS in the GS and the sound has not changed at all for either.
so its got to be something else.
Old 01-09-14, 09:07 AM
BOBFSPORT
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by AdvanSLF
with the IS and GS, both have the same intakes, sound generator, and engine, but yet sounds completely different, even at low revs at a stand still. so you're right, it must be the exhaust. i can't get over how amazing the sound is on the GS even at low revs. i wonder if anyone has modified a GS exhaust to be put on an IS?
I don't think its the exhaust either. I think its the way in which the intake is delivered into the cabin. I think the foam injection material they use in the IS muffles the sound coming through. The IS still sounds good but when driven back to back the difference is easily noticeable.
Old 01-09-14, 11:39 AM
AdvanSLF
Lead Lap

I don't think its the exhaust either. I think its the way in which the intake is delivered into the cabin. I think the foam injection material they use in the IS muffles the sound coming through. The IS still sounds good but when driven back to back the difference is easily noticeable.
wait, we might be talking about different things here.. when i say the GS sounds great, i don't mean by the inside cabin or what not. i'm implying slow acceleration or at a stand still with low revs. the IS in both instances just doesn't sound as good except when you have short burst accelerations or WOTs.

For example GS350 F Sport exhaust, @ 11:08.

vesus the IS350 F Sport, @ 1:31.

That's why i'm thinking it may be the exhaust, if all other variables (parts) are the same.
Old 01-09-14, 11:59 AM
BOBFSPORT
Lead Lap

Saabkyles videos proves my point or i just have a really bad ear?! I have lined up both cars in my driveway, revved the engines and both exhausts sound identical to me. The only way i hear a difference is from the inside of each cabin.
Old 01-09-14, 12:25 PM
AdvanSLF
Lead Lap

Saabkyles videos proves my point or i just have a really bad ear?! I have lined up both cars in my driveway, revved the engines and both exhausts sound identical to me. The only way i hear a difference is from the inside of each cabin.
LOL I wouldn't say i have the greatest ears either, definitely not an audiophile but the GS vrrrom vroom blurb blurb does sound a little different to me as oppose to the IS. hopefully others will respond so we can get more persepctive
Old 01-09-14, 01:52 PM
Bass Mech
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by AdvanSLF
wait, we might be talking about different things here.. when i say the GS sounds great, i don't mean by the inside cabin or what not. i'm implying slow acceleration or at a stand still with low revs. the IS in both instances just doesn't sound as good except when you have short burst accelerations or WOTs.

For example GS350 F Sport exhaust, @ 11:08.
2013 Lexus GS350 F-Sport Start Up, Exhaust, and In Depth Review - YouTube

vesus the IS350 F Sport, @ 1:31.
2014 Lexus IS350 F-Sport Start Up, Exhaust, and In Depth Review - YouTube

That's why i'm thinking it may be the exhaust, if all other variables (parts) are the same.
ok well heres the deal, whatever it is, if its exhaust, what system do I need to get to replicate it?

Quick Reply: why does my GS sound more sporty than my IS?