IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Radio Swap due to Nav Screen Flashing

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-14, 08:45 PM
UncleSpud
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CtSFox
I have had the following happen shortly after startup twice: Music via iPod interrupted, goes to caution screen, back to home screen and music playing from where it left off after 5-10 seconds. I have had no problems since I have my audio set to start off from FM radio, then turn on my iPod, turning back to FM before shut down. The "solution" may be just superstitious behavior, who knows?
Identical symptoms, although my screen goes black for a few seconds before the caution screen comes up. I'll try switching to FM before I shut down. I usually shut down switched to USB (ipod), which is clearly not working.

It's a shame we have to adopt a "strategy" to turn off the car.
Old 01-16-14, 06:56 AM
CtSFox
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by UncleSpud
Identical symptoms, although my screen goes black for a few seconds before the caution screen comes up. I'll try switching to FM before I shut down. I usually shut down switched to USB (ipod), which is clearly not working.

It's a shame we have to adopt a "strategy" to turn off the car.
I forgot to mention that I do two other things as well. If my iPhone needs charging, I use the "cigarette lighter" rather than a USB port. Also, I disabled contacts updates at start up.

I am no electrical or IT expert, but many of the problems reported on this forum related to Nav/Audio seem to fall into (at least) two catagories. Firstly, problems shortly after start up which maybe have to do with the system being overloaded then. So, removing contact updates (recommended by another poster at the suggestion of his dealer) gives the system one less thing to do then. Other problemsreported here are often USB correlated. So, I don't use USB to charge my iPhone while using iPod (inefficient way to charge the phone anyway) and I always arrange my audio to start from the radio, then switiching to the iPod (USB connected) after about a minute. When I start the car, the radio comes on immediately, followed by "phone connected," followed by "audio connected," and so far, after several weeks, no problems. This could be all correlational (accidental association) rather than a cause-effect connection, but at least I can believe I'm doing something about the issue until Lexus comes out with a comprehensive, permanent fix.
Old 01-16-14, 08:17 AM
waxy
Pole Position

I forgot to mention that I do two other things as well. If my iPhone needs charging, I use the "cigarette lighter" rather than a USB port. Also, I disabled contacts updates at start up.

I am no electrical or IT expert, but many of the problems reported on this forum related to Nav/Audio seem to fall into (at least) two catagories. Firstly, problems shortly after start up which maybe have to do with the system being overloaded then. So, removing contact updates (recommended by another poster at the suggestion of his dealer) gives the system one less thing to do then. Other problemsreported here are often USB correlated. So, I don't use USB to charge my iPhone while using iPod (inefficient way to charge the phone anyway) and I always arrange my audio to start from the radio, then switiching to the iPod (USB connected) after about a minute. When I start the car, the radio comes on immediately, followed by "phone connected," followed by "audio connected," and so far, after several weeks, no problems. This could be all correlational (accidental association) rather than a cause-effect connection, but at least I can believe I'm doing something about the issue until Lexus comes out with a comprehensive, permanent fix.
No where in the manual do I see them informing us to run one client at a time.
Majority of the consumers use the USB port to charge and stream the information.
The system itself should be more robust, rather than fail on a second task that it's fully capable of. This is unacceptable.
Old 01-18-14, 07:03 PM
UncleSpud
Pole Position

Didn't work for me. Started the car, phone disconnected, radio set to satellite prior to last shutdown, drove 20 seconds or so then black screen and reboot.

Getting tired of this. Will call my dealer on Monday and ask for status report on this problem.
Old 01-27-14, 05:58 PM
McBrain
Driver

So, I've had my Nav unit replaced about a month ago (after it was completely dead) . A few days ago I noticed that I was no longer seeing live traffic overlays on the GPS map. I zoomed in/out, I turned off traffic data and turned it back on, I did a reset, but no dice. Anyone else seen this particular issue?
Old 01-27-14, 06:49 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 268 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by McBrain
So, I've had my Nav unit replaced about a month ago (after it was completely dead) . A few days ago I noticed that I was no longer seeing live traffic overlays on the GPS map. I zoomed in/out, I turned off traffic data and turned it back on, I did a reset, but no dice. Anyone else seen this particular issue?
Very likely you encountered HD traffic outage. It happened to me once and came back on the next day.
Old 02-16-14, 12:44 AM
AeroEngi
Driver School Candidate

Any updates on this? I'm also getting the blue flashing screen on occasion.
Old 02-16-14, 02:05 AM
UncleSpud
Pole Position

Originally Posted by AeroEngi
Any updates on this? I'm also getting the blue flashing screen on occasion.
I've been watching the forum closely and to my knowledge, no one's reporting a fix or anything new.
I had my radio replaced before Christmas and I've been waiting nearly two months to find out what "Plan B" is from Lexus.

My other car is a Mustang GT, which is hardly a luxury car (and Ford is hardly a luxury marque). Yet on the more popular Mustang forums, Ford has a customer service rep who consistently monitors the forums and regularly intercedes when forum members are having warranty problems.

My Mustang cost $10K less than my 3IS, and Ford doesn't have the enviable reputation for reliability that Lexus enjoys. So why is it that mighty Lexus gives both its dealers and customers the silent treatment for the buggy radios/nav systems they've put in our cars, while flippin' Ford provides a proactive path to problem resolution for its customers?

In the unlikely event that anyone from Lexus corporate is reading posts in this forum, I have a suggestion: get off your *** and give us the courtesy of communicating with those of us who have your faulty equipment in our cars.
Old 02-16-14, 02:52 AM
salvadorik
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by UncleSpud
In the unlikely event that anyone from Lexus corporate is reading posts in this forum, I have a suggestion: get off your *** and give us the courtesy of communicating with those of us who have your faulty equipment in our cars.
Amen!

I never knew that I may have a problem with Enform system and turned out that in fact I do. Pandora and iHeartRadio don't work.
Old 02-17-14, 04:16 AM
blubyu305
Driver School Candidate

Lexus as well as the vendor of the radio are working to resolve the issue.

I was shown how to create a flag in the system so that when they downloaded the radio's diagnostic information it would be easier to see if they could relate the event to something else the car is doing.

Last weekend I stopped by the dealer so that they could download the dish info and send it off. I'm still waiting to hear if they found anything yet.
Old 02-17-14, 01:46 PM
morton87
Rookie

I haven't received any updates from my local dealer on this yet either. However, i will say if keep my phone off BT and USB the issue is almost nonexistent for me. Additionally as far as i have notice, my NAV only flashed to a blue screen at night. After the last time i was in the dealer they suggested trying to apply updates to my phone if any were available and or to not pair or connect my phone to the car to avoid the issue.

Ill be pinging them again in a week after another long driving trip to see how many times it happens again.

Has anyone tried using a cable like from TechStream to see if there is any information or event triggered that we can see at the time of these flashes and or other radio issues we all have been seeing?
Old 07-26-15, 07:37 AM
CF1LUV
Driver School Candidate

Hey guys I'm bumping this thread because I have this same problem.

Mines a 2014, with nav and the regular radio. My nav screen will flash to all blue momentarily then go bcak to normal. I usually only see it out of the corner of my eye.

I never have anything plugged into the usb/aux ports. I could be driving the car for over an hour when it could do it for the first time. It never disrupts any of the features or radio play, I've just never had a nav unit do this before on any car.

This is a old thread so I'm not sure if there is an official fix it from lexus headquarters.