IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Is Clear Bra necessary if you have PPF on the car?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-13, 02:54 PM
Randre19
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Is Clear Bra necessary if you have PPF on the car?

I bought the PPF package that my dealer was selling because they gave me a good discounted price. Wondering if a clear bra is still needed to protect against rocks and chips etc...

What do you guys think?
Old 12-10-13, 03:02 PM
CtSFox
Lead Lap

Isn't paint protection film (ppf) the same thing as a clear bra?
Old 12-10-13, 03:18 PM
doodlebug
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 71 Posts

Paint protection films are also know as clear bras, clearshield, scotchgard, invisashield, invisible bra, clear mask, etc. - the difference is in the brand of film.
The following users liked this post:
Brandonfu (04-19-22)
Old 12-10-13, 03:51 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

PPF= Paint Protection Film=Clear bra.

The PPF from the dealer will probably suck. If you're happy with it then you're fine.
Old 12-10-13, 05:20 PM
Randre19
Lead Lap

PPF from the dealer was not clear bra. Its almost like an extra layer of protective wax laid over the paint to protect it from a bunch of stuff. It does not protect against rock chips and larger things that clear bra protects against. More of a whole-body protectant for the paint on the car rather than specific areas of the front of the car.
Hawk10 (04-19-22)
Old 12-10-13, 06:00 PM
doodlebug
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Randre19
PPF from the dealer was not clear bra. Its almost like an extra layer of protective wax laid over the paint to protect it from a bunch of stuff. It does not protect against rock chips and larger things that clear bra protects against. More of a whole-body protectant for the paint on the car rather than specific areas of the front of the car.
In that case, if you are concerned with rock chips and the like, you should get a clear bra. My last car came with a dealer installed clear bra...it sucked....but, it was still better than not having one.
Old 12-10-13, 06:02 PM
Randre19
Lead Lap

Here is the package I got from the dealer. Includes 7 year warranty that covers the whole car inside and out. Any damage to anything will be replaced at no charge.
Attached Thumbnails Is Clear Bra necessary if you have PPF on the car?-img_2138.jpg  
Old 12-10-13, 06:05 PM
iampraneel
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Here is the package I got from the dealer. Includes 7 year warranty that covers the whole car inside and out. Any damage to anything will be replaced at no charge.
Ok....so you got a paint protection finish not paint protection film. Is that fair to say?
Old 12-10-13, 06:08 PM
Randre19
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Prepboy607
Ok....so you got a paint protection finish not paint protection film. Is that fair to say?
Ya I guess thats what i meant to say haha miscommunication.

So you think its necessary to get clear bra as well? I guess its more personal opinion now.
Old 12-10-13, 06:38 PM
iampraneel
Intermediate

Personal choice. I would get it if you are buying. If you are leasing then don't waste your money.

Also on a black car it best to get the whole hood done, this way you don't see the nasty line going across the hood.
Hawk10 (04-19-22)
Old 12-10-13, 06:41 PM
iampraneel
Intermediate

How much did you pay for that and did you take delivery of the protection already?
Old 12-10-13, 07:12 PM
Randre19
Lead Lap

$800. Expensive I know but mom was there with me...wanted to see the car and got it for me. Extra present i guess. She has it on her BMW so she thought it was a must. I explained to her that I could get better things done to protect the car for half the price. She didnt want to hear it.
Hawk10 (04-19-22)
Old 12-10-13, 07:20 PM
iampraneel
Intermediate

$800. Expensive I know but mom was there with me...wanted to see the car and got it for me. Extra present i guess. She has it on her BMW so she thought it was a must. I explained to her that I could get better things done to protect the car for half the price. She didnt want to hear it.
Oh man. That's steep, but can't say no to moms. I hear ya.
Old 12-10-13, 07:41 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

Then the issue is you are using the wrong terminology. PPF is an abbreviation for paint protection film. You purchased the paint sealant, which you shouldn't have but its done. Its just a layer of paint sealant, it'll be gone in a month. $800...man thats such a ripoff.

You need a clear bra if you want to protect it against chipping. I have it on mine even though its a lease, I just hate paint chips.
Old 12-10-13, 08:16 PM
Randre19
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SW13GS
Then the issue is you are using the wrong terminology. PPF is an abbreviation for paint protection film. You purchased the paint sealant, which you shouldn't have but its done. Its just a layer of paint sealant, it'll be gone in a month. $800...man thats such a ripoff.

You need a clear bra if you want to protect it against chipping. I have it on mine even though its a lease, I just hate paint chips.
You are correct in that it is a ripoff and i tried to explain that to mom. On the upside though, even when the sealant wears off, the package covers any damage inside and out so thats something good I guess. I like that it covers the interior so if any seat were to get a tear or burn or anything they would replace the whole seat. I agree though probably could have put that $800 towards something else. Maybe clear bra the whole car haha

Quick Reply: Is Clear Bra necessary if you have PPF on the car?