IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Rear Sunshade..and Accy Pkg..Really?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-13, 12:31 PM
hushero
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Rear Sunshade..and Accy Pkg..Really?

What do you think guys about these two options:

Power Rear Sunshade cost US$210.00 (factory option)

Accessories Package cost US$242.00: Trunk Mat, Cargo Net and Wheels locks (dealer option)

When I was driving my dad 2009 ES300 long time ago, I hear some noise from the rear sunshade whenever I put the car in reverse. Not sure tho about how it gonna work on the new IS, and if it will cause some noise down the road every time I put the car in reverse..

Appreaite your help thank you :-)

Last edited by hushero; 12-10-13 at 12:36 PM.
Old 12-10-13, 12:51 PM
moose66
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I ordered the power rear sunshade on my car. Have it on my current GS. No issues. It makes minimal noise when it retracts when you put the car in reverse, and then when it goes back up after the car gets up to 5 MPH. Not a major concern. One thing of note. I was told that by my salesteam that the rear sunshade may be one of the reasons it has taken over 4 months to get my car. Not sure about the truth to this. Appears that sunshade is not a popular option.

The accessory package can be had way cheaper than it is sold for. You can buy most of that stuff OEM on ebay.
Old 12-10-13, 01:18 PM
iPinky
Driver

The sliding noise is normal, and should be minimal. I had it on my previous 2IS, had no problem with it for the duration I owned the car. However, on my mom's Avalon (a little over 2 yrs old), the sunshade went out 4 months ago. It turns out that the motor got fried, which the service tech said is common with sunshades. I was quoted $1,700 to replace the whole thing. Another option he game me was to have it disconnected from the power source, which he said it would cost about $500 to remove the seats and whatnot to get to the connections.
Old 12-10-13, 03:57 PM
SonyHome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ordered mine with rear shade but can't comment on noise since I'm expecting my car at the end of the month. As far as the accessory pack, I decided to order from sewellparts.com and for about the same price I was able to also get all season floor mats which will be nice in the winter times in MN.
Old 12-10-13, 04:00 PM
Bass Mech
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

funny you should ask this question. I just took delivery today on my car. everything was perfect except the trunk mat and accessory package was missing.
I then learned these things are installed in port and we now suspect that my car was delayed because they did not have these items in stock. so they changed the window sticker and shipped it as is.
the dealer is giving me these items at cost which is less than buying them port installed.
ill have the parts tomorrow.
Old 12-10-13, 04:12 PM
iampraneel
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

My car came with the Rear Sunshade and it makes so little noise that I hardly even notice it.
Old 12-10-13, 04:18 PM
SonyHome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Prepboy607
My car came with the Rear Sunshade and it makes so little noise that I hardly even notice it.
Just noticed you've owned every Lexus sedan model, ES, GS, LS and IS from your signature. Why did you decided to go from LS to IS?
Old 12-10-13, 05:50 PM
iampraneel
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SonyHome
Just noticed you've owned every Lexus sedan model, ES, GS, LS and IS from your signature. Why did you decided to go from LS to IS?
My LS was really nice and was fast. A lot of bells and whistles but I wasn't feeling it. I went from a 06 GS 430 to the 09 LS 460 so i missed the sportiness. I would've had to get rims, drop and do an exhaust on the LS to be happy with it. I was over doing mods like that from when i had my 99 and 02 GS.

I like the new GS interior but not a fan of the exterior. IMO it looks to plain. If they add a spindle grille then it may be a different story.
Old 12-10-13, 07:00 PM
gtb555
Driver School Candidate

Too bad we can't order rear sunshade here, by the way can you turn off the auto retraction when reversing?
Old 12-10-13, 07:05 PM
hushero
Driver School Candidate

Thank you all for sharing your experience much appreciated. Based on your hints and some feedback here I just have asked my dealership to delete this option from my order. I don't wanna hear any noise at all and that's why I will buy Lexus rather BMW or Mercedes. Also, I felt this option more luxurious and may kill the sportiness of my F sport packaged IS interior.

Thanks again
Old 12-10-13, 07:07 PM
hushero
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by gtb555
Too bad we can't order rear sunshade here, by the way can you turn off the auto retraction when reversing?
If am not wrong, I remember those Lexus cars equipped with this feature still have a button to get it down and OFF all the time
Old 12-10-13, 07:18 PM
iampraneel
Intermediate

Originally Posted by hushero
If am not wrong, I remember those Lexus cars equipped with this feature still have a button to get it down and OFF all the time
You can have it down all the time, but if you have it up it WILL go down when going into reverse. It will go back up when in drive and going at lease 5 mph.

Personally I don't like the rear sunshade and didn't care to have it in my IS, but I didn't have a choice. Just my luck I found the last and only car in N CA with vgrs and Ml but it was fully optioned with pcs and ppf. I think this car has every option possible.

I had the sunshade in my GS and in 3 years I probably used it 10 times and 5 of those was...look what my car can do.
Old 12-10-13, 07:26 PM
hushero
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Prepboy607
You can have it down all the time, but if you have it up it WILL go down when going into reverse. It will go back up when in drive and going at lease 5 mph. Personally I don't like the rear sunshade and didn't care to have it in my IS, but I didn't have a choice. Just my luck I found the last and only car in N CA with vgrs and Ml but it was fully optioned with pcs and ppf. I think this car has every option possible. I had the sunshade in my GS and in 3 years I probably used it 10 times and 5 of those was...look what my car can do.
Thanks for confirming the info. I saw one crazy guy took advantage of his sunshade by putting his favorite team flag hanged on it. Then he raise it up whenever he go to the stadium lol
Old 12-10-13, 11:44 PM
gtb555
Driver School Candidate

This might an alternative.

https://www.autoshades.com/products....-Europa-Mark-I
Old 12-11-13, 12:03 AM
hushero
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by gtb555
Thank you for sharing this. I might tint the rear window with high end 3M film rather putting something like this :-)

Quick Reply: Rear Sunshade..and Accy Pkg..Really?