IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Excessive wind noise coming from driver's side window/door

Old 12-09-13, 02:12 PM
alexlude
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Excessive wind noise coming from driver's side window/door

Has anyone noticed any excessive wind noise coming from driver's side window/door on their 3IS? Maybe because its pretty quiet but i'm noticing a slightly louder than normal "whizzing" noise (wind noise) coming from driver's side window/door..

Has anyone experienced this and do you know if its something the dealer can adjust / tighten up to eliminate this annoying noise?

Last edited by alexlude; 12-09-13 at 02:30 PM.
Old 12-09-13, 02:41 PM
semoquer
Rookie

the volume **** on your radio
Old 12-09-13, 02:48 PM
alexlude
Lead Lap

hahah lol trust me even with volume around 32-35 on the ML system, I can still hear the wind noise as its right near my left ear Do you hear wind noise on yours?
Old 12-09-13, 02:49 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,602 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Interesting. No wind noise whatsoever in mine, and I'm very sensitive to it.
Old 12-09-13, 02:54 PM
IS350S2K
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Havent noticed except it is really quiet inside. Does it happen at all speeds or only at high speed?
Old 12-09-13, 03:04 PM
alexlude
Lead Lap

only moderately higher (60+ speed). I haven't had my wife drive so i can hear if it is coming from the passenger side as well.

Obviously the faster i drive 80+ i can hear it more loudly. Can not hear it when local driving ~40mph
Old 12-09-13, 03:57 PM
SonyHome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by alexlude
Has anyone noticed any excessive wind noise coming from driver's side window/door on their 3IS? Maybe because its pretty quiet but i'm noticing a slightly louder than normal "whizzing" noise (wind noise) coming from driver's side window/door..

Has anyone experienced this and do you know if its something the dealer can adjust / tighten up to eliminate this annoying noise?
I hope this is not the norm since this will drive me crazy! Is this something dealer can adjust?
Old 12-09-13, 04:00 PM
alexlude
Lead Lap

well i don't want to scare you like its a loud whistling noise of some sort but more of a "whooshing" noise that gets louder when i drive faster.. hopefully it can be adjusted with micro adjustments made to the door. I will report back once i have service take a look @ it.
Old 12-09-13, 04:03 PM
SonyHome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by alexlude
well i don't want to scare you like its a loud whistling noise of some sort but more of a "whooshing" noise that gets louder when i drive faster.. hopefully it can be adjusted with micro adjustments made to the door. I will report back once i have service take a look @ it.
I really hope this can be adjusted and yours just need little tweaking!
Old 12-09-13, 04:05 PM
alexlude
Lead Lap

me too. i'm sure they have some thing (fingers crossed) that can fix it as i'm probably not the only one who's complained about this on their Lexus' in the past.
Old 12-18-13, 12:35 AM
abcsoup
Driver

I'm starting to notice this as well. I don't recall hearing it when I first got the car, but it's happening more often now. I think it might be the colder temperatures shrinking certain seals around the car.

Anyways, please let us know if your dealer figures something out. I might ask mine to take a look at it once the 5k mark rolls around.
Old 12-18-13, 12:40 AM
mike927
Driver School Candidate

I too have started to hear the noises through the doors more now. Only happens when I am on the freeway.
Old 12-18-13, 05:28 AM
561Lexus
Driver

Hey guys, from what I heard, it is caused by the clear bra lexus places on the side mirrors, do you guys have clear bra on the mirrors by chance?
If so, this is most likely the cause of the whistle
Old 12-18-13, 04:38 PM
abcsoup
Driver

Originally Posted by 561Lexus
Hey guys, from what I heard, it is caused by the clear bra lexus places on the side mirrors, do you guys have clear bra on the mirrors by chance?
If so, this is most likely the cause of the whistle
I do have a clear bra installed (by a 3rd party), and I've seen the threads that outline the whistling you're referring to. However, I only started noticing this recently, a month after the clear bra was installed, and it's not really a whistling but more of a whooshing wind noise you'd get if a window was just barely rolled down. It's very clearly coming from directly left of my head when sitting in the driver's seat and doesn't sound like it's coming from the side mirror area at all. I have a feeling it's the rubber seal around the door having a gap somewhere that may be worsened by low temps. I might try some DIY to fix it if I have time this weekend.
Old 12-18-13, 05:13 PM
alexlude
Lead Lap

hey guys exactly what abcsoup is saying.. a slight whooshing noise if the window was barely down. obviously if i row the window down, its louder, but you get the point..

I can vouch I only hear it when i'm going > 40 mph. anything less than 40 and you can't hear anything. the faster you go, obviously the louder it is. I'm thinking it might be the aero dynamics of the car as well? when i row the window down, the wind noise is louder than i've heard in previous cars.. wasn't the coefficient of drag on IS better than the LFA? :P

I haven't had a chance to go to the dealer yet. Most likely @ my 1k checkup, but will try to get there beforehand.

ABCsoup, let me know if your attempted DIY mediates the issue.. thx

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Excessive wind noise coming from driver's side window/door