IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Excessive wind noise coming from driver's side window/door

Old 12-18-13, 05:14 PM
alexlude
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

have any of you troubleshooted the driver side as well? I haven't had a chance to ask someone else to drive while i'm in passenger seat and see if I hear the same thing...

possibly one of you who are experiencing it on the driver's side can try on the passenger side?
Old 12-19-13, 01:27 AM
ybing
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I had encounter few times, but too lazy to figure out is it the wind or something not seal right, don't have a second car to compare, maybe when I have a chance to drive a loaner next time
Old 12-28-13, 11:20 AM
abcsoup
Driver

I had some time over the holiday to check out the car and tried this out.

In the first picture, I highlighted the part of the door seal that I think is causing the issue. At the top corner of the door in my car, the rubber seal is slightly thinner than the seal surrounding the rest of the car. Since the other parts of the seal are thicker, I think this thinner part is very slightly lifted from the doorframe when the door is closed, leaving a small airgap and allowing sound to enter the cabin.

My resolution so far was to add two pieces of electrical tape to apply vertical pressure to the seal, which makes it expand horizontally and makes it wider to match more closely to the width of the surrounding seals. After applying this fix, I haven't noticed the wind noise anymore. I don't know if it's placebo, so I wouldn't say this is the definitive fix for me yet until a few weeks more of testing, but I'd love if anyone else having this problem could try this out and report back.
Attached Thumbnails Excessive wind noise coming from driver's side window/door-before.jpg   Excessive wind noise coming from driver's side window/door-after.jpg  
Old 12-28-13, 12:04 PM
alexlude
Lead Lap

i'll have to try this out.. is there a reason you left a gap in tape on the upper piece instead of running the tape along the rubber seal like you did on the side piece?

I take the car in for my 1k service in about a week so i'll report back if i hear anything as well...

EDIT - oh i see you used the tape for vertical pressure to pull the seal down and fatten it...
Old 12-28-13, 12:31 PM
abcsoup
Driver

Originally Posted by alexlude
i'll have to try this out.. is there a reason you left a gap in tape on the upper piece instead of running the tape along the rubber seal like you did on the side piece?
Yeah, I originally tried to do that, but my tape was not very sticky. Probably would work better with a different type, but I didn't have much to choose from. At least it makes removal very easy if there's a more permanent fix!
Old 12-28-13, 01:07 PM
Obscene14
Driver

You guys can't be serious. You making your car look like a twenty year old beater. Go to the dealership and get this resolved. Your driving a car that costs nearly 50k. You shouldn't have to deal with this issue yourself. Make some noise at the dealership. If you don't get satisfaction call Lexus corporate and throw the dealer under the bus if you have to.
Old 12-28-13, 01:12 PM
abcsoup
Driver

Originally Posted by Obscene14
You guys can't be serious. You making your car look like a twenty year old beater. Go to the dealership and get this resolved. Your driving a car that costs nearly 50k. You shouldn't have to deal with this issue yourself. Make some noise at the dealership. If you don't get satisfaction call Lexus corporate and throw the dealer under the bus if you have to.
This is just a temporary fix to diagnose the issue. I'd rather go into the dealership with a solid understanding of the problem before lending my car to them for days/weeks while they test drive it to find the source of the problem, try out resolutions, etc. The more I know, the better. The issue is also not very bothersome to me, especially with this temporary fix, so I'm just going to wait til my next scheduled maintenance.
Old 12-28-13, 01:18 PM
Obscene14
Driver

Ok, if that's way you chose to handle it. I understand not wanting to lose the use of your car. Problem with your thinking is that even if you know exactly how to fix it the techs are still going to want to do they're own diagnosis and you will still lose you car for a couple of days.
Old 04-08-15, 05:18 PM
usuariof
Driver School Candidate

Did you fix it?
Old 04-09-15, 05:28 AM
Jeremy1976
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am curious as to what the issue is as well. I just got my IS 350 last week and love the car, but have also noticed a wind noise from the drivers side window. The first time I heard it I chalked it up to it just being windy outside. The last couple drives it was very calm and still heard it. I was going to mention it to the dealer next time I am in for service. Please update this thread if you guys find out what the cause or resolution is.

Thanks
Old 04-09-15, 11:53 AM
shirosan
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Same here, I bought my IS350 two months ago and I've noticed it every day. I figured it was poor design but maybe there is a fix the dealership can do. Maybe it's just a bad seal.

I'd like to know any updates as well. thanks.
Old 04-09-15, 12:23 PM
niele
Driver School Candidate

Wow, very interesting. I, too, have noticed it recently even with the ML at high volume. I'm also noticing a thunk in the driver's door when going over larger bumps. Maybe something is loose in the door. I've got the 5K check up soon for my 2015 is350 so will ask them about that. Hopefully, both issues can be located and fixed. Otherwise, I'm lovin' this car!
Old 04-09-15, 09:45 PM
webcobra
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by niele
Wow, very interesting. I, too, have noticed it recently even with the ML at high volume. I'm also noticing a thunk in the driver's door when going over larger bumps. Maybe something is loose in the door. I've got the 5K check up soon for my 2015 is350 so will ask them about that. Hopefully, both issues can be located and fixed. Otherwise, I'm lovin' this car!
If you have PPF on the drivers mirror, do a test. Take a piece of tape and tape along the bottom edge of the film. Do it in stages. I tried a 2 inch piece that stopped it near the bottom edge closest to the car side. Strange but it was the cause for mine.
Old 04-10-15, 10:59 AM
niele
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the info, webcobra. I'll try that "fix" this weekend.
Old 04-10-15, 08:20 PM
jmac350
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by shirosan
Same here, I bought my IS350 two months ago and I've noticed it every day. I figured it was poor design but maybe there is a fix the dealership can do. Maybe it's just a bad seal.

I'd like to know any updates as well. thanks.
I have had my car in for servicing and had the master tech take my car out and listen for the wind noise coming from the drivers door. Not surprised he didn't hear anything as it is a sound that you only pick up after driving the car for a while. My car is a 2014, and hearing that some 2015 models are having the same issue tells me they haven't changed anything. The tech told me it could be the weather seal on the door and could replace it, but I declined, fearful that this might cause an even bigger issue if not done properly. If someone has had this issue resolved by Lexus, please let me know. I am hoping there will be an official Service Bulletin for this problem and they will have a fix. The noise that I hear is not loud enough to be unbearable, but I HEAR it faintly every time I am on the freeway, and it annoys me to no end. The noise is there period. Just want acknowledged by Lexus and have a fix for it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Excessive wind noise coming from driver's side window/door