Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > IS Models > IS - Third Generation
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Excessive wind noise coming from driver's side window/door

Old 12-18-13, 06:14 PM   #16
alexlude
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (0)

have any of you troubleshooted the driver side as well? I haven't had a chance to ask someone else to drive while i'm in passenger seat and see if I hear the same thing...

possibly one of you who are experiencing it on the driver's side can try on the passenger side?
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
Old 12-19-13, 02:27 AM   #17
ybing
Pole Position

I had encounter few times, but too lazy to figure out is it the wind or something not seal right, don't have a second car to compare, maybe when I have a chance to drive a loaner next time
'06 IS350 Blue Onyx/Cashmere (Feb 28, 2006 - Feb 28, 2010)

ybing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-13, 12:20 PM   #18
abcsoup
Driver

I had some time over the holiday to check out the car and tried this out.

In the first picture, I highlighted the part of the door seal that I think is causing the issue. At the top corner of the door in my car, the rubber seal is slightly thinner than the seal surrounding the rest of the car. Since the other parts of the seal are thicker, I think this thinner part is very slightly lifted from the doorframe when the door is closed, leaving a small airgap and allowing sound to enter the cabin.

My resolution so far was to add two pieces of electrical tape to apply vertical pressure to the seal, which makes it expand horizontally and makes it wider to match more closely to the width of the surrounding seals. After applying this fix, I haven't noticed the wind noise anymore. I don't know if it's placebo, so I wouldn't say this is the definitive fix for me yet until a few weeks more of testing, but I'd love if anyone else having this problem could try this out and report back.
Attached Images

Old 12-28-13, 01:04 PM   #19
alexlude
Lead Lap

i'll have to try this out.. is there a reason you left a gap in tape on the upper piece instead of running the tape along the rubber seal like you did on the side piece?

I take the car in for my 1k service in about a week so i'll report back if i hear anything as well...

EDIT - oh i see you used the tape for vertical pressure to pull the seal down and fatten it...
Old 12-28-13, 01:31 PM   #20
abcsoup
Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexlude View Post
i'll have to try this out.. is there a reason you left a gap in tape on the upper piece instead of running the tape along the rubber seal like you did on the side piece?
Yeah, I originally tried to do that, but my tape was not very sticky. Probably would work better with a different type, but I didn't have much to choose from. At least it makes removal very easy if there's a more permanent fix!
Old 12-28-13, 02:07 PM   #21
Obscene14
Rookie

You guys can't be serious. You making your car look like a twenty year old beater. Go to the dealership and get this resolved. Your driving a car that costs nearly 50k. You shouldn't have to deal with this issue yourself. Make some noise at the dealership. If you don't get satisfaction call Lexus corporate and throw the dealer under the bus if you have to.
Obscene14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-13, 02:12 PM   #22
abcsoup
Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obscene14 View Post
You guys can't be serious. You making your car look like a twenty year old beater. Go to the dealership and get this resolved. Your driving a car that costs nearly 50k. You shouldn't have to deal with this issue yourself. Make some noise at the dealership. If you don't get satisfaction call Lexus corporate and throw the dealer under the bus if you have to.
This is just a temporary fix to diagnose the issue. I'd rather go into the dealership with a solid understanding of the problem before lending my car to them for days/weeks while they test drive it to find the source of the problem, try out resolutions, etc. The more I know, the better. The issue is also not very bothersome to me, especially with this temporary fix, so I'm just going to wait til my next scheduled maintenance.
Old 12-28-13, 02:18 PM   #23
Obscene14
Rookie

Ok, if that's way you chose to handle it. I understand not wanting to lose the use of your car. Problem with your thinking is that even if you know exactly how to fix it the techs are still going to want to do they're own diagnosis and you will still lose you car for a couple of days.
Obscene14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-13, 02:18 PM