IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Mark Levinson... Worth it? (Merged Threads)

Old 12-09-13, 09:14 PM
abcsoup
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1sWt2GS
surprised so many people are voting yes for the ML! guess they improved it from the 2nd gen IS

Majority of people I know who have the 2nd gen IS says the ML system sucks flat out!
Yeah, the ML was revamped for the 3IS, so it uses the same 835W amp as the GS's ML system. A lot seems to have changed with the drivers, too.
Old 12-09-13, 10:34 PM
Bass Mech
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by moose66
Not sure if you have already seen this. It says there is a 7.1 channel architecture. However, since this is a little dated, I am not sure if that output is for our cars. The related files link on the site provides a little more insight.

http://www.marklevinson.com/Info/Story/49
interesting, heres what i learned. i just tried a DVD-audio CD 5.1 surround sound, it plays in the player but there is no sound.
looking at the link you provided it mentions the LS and LX models but has a picture of the IS dash and radio on that link.
I'm going to read the owners manual and see if DVD-A is listed.

edit, ok i realized 1 critical issue, my GS is not a ML system i forgot! so that explains why it won't play any sound.
but the player seemed to be reading the disc.

my IS does have the mark lev, but its not here yet!!
i would assume it would play a DVD audio disc because a DVD a disc is the same as a DVD video just without the video usually.
what i question is does the system really decode 5.1/ 7.1 via digital optical or coax output?
my feeling is maybe, i think if you have a ML system, the DVD player has another output and the amp an other input that handles the digital signal.

if this is not true then the surround is just a simulated pro logic system and not a true 7.1

Last edited by Bass Mech; 12-09-13 at 10:52 PM.
Old 12-10-13, 01:26 AM
Slust
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is a DVD/CD player. I haven't found detailed specs on how it decodes. The link below shows the placement of the 15 speaker arrangement though...

http://www.lexus.com/models/IS/featu...ns/?navTo=i0s1

I'm not an Audiophile but I am very picky on my sound quality and the ML system sounded great. You would have to have a pretty keen ear to pick out 5.1 vs 7.1. I plan on getting it with my car because it sounded good enough to me to justify the price. If you really want to test it out ask Lexus if they'll let you play your own music. I test out all of my sound systems with the same songs to see what beats are left out (if any) and what the sound stage is like. Its also the only way I know how to compare Lows, Mids and Highs. Sadly pop that is played on the radio is very flat and not a good indicator. Though I will say it did make pop on the local radio sound a LOT better. So it is definitely better than the standard system, and it's not just the volume increase. If you are looking for audiophile quality it is always going to be in your best interest pick your own parts, but of course price sky rockets then.

Speaking of which I been neglecting to buy myself a good amp replacement for my Beyers.
Old 12-10-13, 06:40 AM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

One can have the pleasure of owning a Levinson sound system without having to pay $20K for an amp and pre-pro.
Here's a used one for $12K

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/181255611811?lpid=82
Old 12-10-13, 08:50 AM
John510
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I added a JL amp and 10" JL sub to the stock system and it sounds AMAZING!. But then again I have never actually listened to a ML car…...
Old 12-10-13, 09:55 AM
abcsoup
Driver

Originally Posted by Glashub
One can have the pleasure of owning a Levinson sound system without having to pay $20K for an amp and pre-pro.
Here's a used one for $12K

Mark Levinson 532 400 400 Watts Dual Mono Power Amplifier | eBay
They even include the silvery ceramic ***** and brushed aluminum faces in our cars, too!

This little stereo preamp below is $10k.
Old 12-10-13, 12:52 PM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

^^^^
Amazing. It does have the very same ***** we have.
Old 12-10-13, 03:53 PM
Bass Mech
Lexus Test Driver

now that I have the actual car and spent some time listening to it, I can officially say this.. if you didn't get the ML you seriously don't know what your missing!
the only drawback as expected with any factory system is it just cant handle the bass swells and 808 bass tones at high volume.
but play some AC/DC or any kind of rock and roll music, country or anything that's actually considered music the ML will literally blow even the most picky audio enthusiast away for a factory system!
if I were to upgrade anything it would be simply a sub and amp just to extend the low frequency response, in fact I might even just disconnect the factory sub all together and build an enclosure in the rear. in fact I may just do that and put together a group buy if anyone else wants one.
in my previous 2007 IS with ML the only thing it needed there was also the sub box which I did. it totally transformed the entire system into one that would play anything I threw at it.
Old 12-10-13, 05:06 PM
McBrain
Driver

Yesterday I would have said "hell yeah", but today I'd caution you. Read this thread. Even though the thread is marked as resolved, reading the latest posts you'll see its not.

I would push the dealer to ask if the non ML-NAV system has this bulletin associated with it. Mine is completely in-operational now (just a blank screen and no sound).
Old 12-10-13, 07:19 PM
dbs600
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For those who've stated the Mark Levinson system is a must have, have you actually experienced both systems? I have a very discerning ear and I'm exceptionally impressed with the standard system… and, to top it off, I find it superior to premium systems from other makes (Read: BMW)! Land Rover on the other hand has great audio setups as well.

Sound, Steering and Seats are the 3IS' strong suits!

Last edited by dbs600; 12-10-13 at 09:11 PM.
Old 12-10-13, 07:31 PM
Bass Mech
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by dbs600
For everyone who's stated the Mark Levinson system is a must have, have you actually experienced both systems? I have a very discerning ear and I'm exceptionally impressed with the standard system… and, to top it off, I find it superior to some premium systems from some other makes (BMW)! Land Rover on the other hand has some great audio setups as well. Sound, Steering and Seats are the 3IS' strong suits!
Yes listened to both, and my 13 GS has the standard system. Both the GS and IS have the same amp and similar speakers. I've listened to the GS quite a lot
And there is no comparison with the ML it's louder, and way more in your face, staging us similar but when you crank it, it just keeps on giving you more and more without distortion.
My sales guy listened as I cranked up AC-DC and he was personally blown away! He did not realize there was that much if a difference. He says he will now be encouraging people to opt for this upgrade where as before he was downplaying it in the past.
In short he is now a believer.
But I cannot stress enough, for you bass heads listening to ghetto music you will never appreciate the system.
If you play actual music you'll then appreciate the ml system
Old 12-10-13, 08:27 PM
afdavey
Driver

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Bass Mech
Yes listened to both, and my 13 GS has the standard system. Both the GS and IS have the same amp and similar speakers. I've listened to the GS quite a lot
And there is no comparison with the ML it's louder, and way more in your face, staging us similar but when you crank it, it just keeps on giving you more and more without distortion.
My sales guy listened as I cranked up AC-DC and he was personally blown away! He did not realize there was that much if a difference. He says he will now be encouraging people to opt for this upgrade where as before he was downplaying it in the past.
But I cannot stress enough, for you bass heads listening to ghetto music you will never appreciate the system.

so true...
Old 12-10-13, 09:06 PM
oghowie
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Bass Mech
But what if I only listen to music streamed over BT? I no longer burn CDs unless it's for my kids music and basically listen to pandora or podcasts streamed over BT? I plan on a 2 year lease so I'm not absolutely sure it's worth it.
Old 12-10-13, 09:22 PM
abcsoup
Driver

Originally Posted by oghowie
But what if I only listen to music streamed over BT? I no longer burn CDs unless it's for my kids music and basically listen to pandora or podcasts streamed over BT? I plan on a 2 year lease so I'm not absolutely sure it's worth it.
I listen to Spotify over BT on my iPhone and the quality is great. Very close to USB streaming quality IMO. I've heard some people have software issues with Pandora though when they use the Enform app system, but I've never tried it myself. I haven't had any trouble with Spotify though.

Since you're leasing for only 2 years, it's probably not worth it if you end up having to wait an extra 4 months for a special order. If you can find one in allocation or on the lot, I'd say go for it.
Old 12-10-13, 09:25 PM
splat0023
Rookie

The stock non ml system sounds good too just missing a little thump in the bass section so i'm gonna add a JL sub to mine and call it a day .

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Mark Levinson... Worth it? (Merged Threads)