IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models
View Poll Results: Help me pick the best color combo!
Niteblooded - Obsidian w/ Rioja Interior (Dark Tinted Windows)
48.39%
Snow Beast - Ultra White w/ Rioja Interior (Dark Tinted Windows + maybe CV5s)
51.61%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

It is Black and White, right? No, no it really isn't...

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-13, 04:02 PM
Slust
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default It is Black and White, right? No, no it really isn't...

Nasty things happened to my 2010 2IS 250 thanks to this punk (uninsured) kid. Despite the engine being knocked off the right rail and the front being ripped off it took almost a full month for the insurance company to deem it a total loss thanks in part to them not appraising it right the first time they called it a total loss. Hell neither of the body shops did any work to it so if they were going to work on it I would be without car for probably 2+ months.

On the bright side it gave me time to test drive a slew of cars. My favorite ones include the IS 350 F-Sport of course, the BMW 335i (actually 2 - different model years), the BMW 328i, the Audi S4, and the Mercedes E350 (no local C350). Since my 250 held its value quite well I can now afford the next tier. Might as well make something good of a bad situation, right? I loved that car. She protected me well and sold me on Lexus safety.

After test driving all those cars the only car that gave me a complete WOW factor (well S4 wow'd me on it's speed - talk about impressive) was IS 350 F-Sport. With the check and the decision made I felt a sigh relief. BUT I AM STUCK IN QUANDARY AGAIN, WTF!

At first I thought Nebula Gray (about the same color my 2IS was) + Rioja would the ultimate color combo for me but the nearest one is 900+ miles away so a transfer fee of $1kish. I went to the dealership to see if I would even like the Red interior. (spoiler alert - Fya!) It was on a white 250 though. Before this visit the white was my least favorite color. But seeing that color contrast (one salesman had it with tinted windows) of the bright metallic white and black and then opening the door to see the Red and Black interior (one of my favorite color combos even though I hate red on its own) was just down right awesome I gotta say! The general sales manager scouted and told me a White 350 F-Sport was coming into port on the 11th and roughly to their dealership around the 22nd. She would be Santa colors at least lol. Got a good deal on it despite red interior being harder to obtain so I said yes on the spot.

Not sure if it's Lexus thing or a dealer thing but I'm really impressed the dealer will be giving me a loaner car while I wait for mine to come in. That is real customer satisfaction there! The BMW dealership flat out told me no. They're even gonna find me something nice to drive in the meantime so I'm still in the Ford Fusion (better than I thought it'd be) rental car.

But now that I don't have the car in front of me to remind why I chose white I'm doubting myself. You see, I hate white cars. I love them black. The blacker the better - brute's black IS350 is really tempting me and telling me I made the wrong choice. I went through all 60 pages of the pics thread and there are a lot of sexy pictures of both the white and the black. So at least it reaffirms why I chose white. But when I see those black F-Sports I drool too.

It's not helping everyone is shocked I went white. Even my own mom. I called her today and told her. I figured she would say, "Son go with the white. It's practical. It's cooler in the summer and will be easier to keep clean." Nope. Not only did she not say this... she cut me off and said, "You should go black, that's your personality." AHHHHHHHHHHHHH! shakes fist in air

There is a black one with rioja (ya I called the dealership yesterday) one state away so transport fee would probably be $500-700. It actually has more options like the VGRS, Power Rear Sunshade and Dynamic Radar Cruise Control. What do people think of the VGRS anyways? I don't see it getting talked about at all. The only options the white has over the black is the standard stuff like Wheel Locks, Trunk Mat, and Cargo Net. Both have the 835W Mark Levinson sound system which is really the only option I truly wanted.

I've never been this indecisive about a car's color before. When I look at the pics thread it looks like this car looks great no matter what color you pick. It's not helping though. I don't know why but I'm still torn. I know its my decision but I need help. I'm so torn I even have nicknames for both ...

Niteblooded (Black & Red) - my normal forum and gamer handle (doesn't fit on this website)
Snow Beast (White & Red) - my nickname for my PC (white/black 600T Corsair case)

If I stick with white I would be really tempted to go with the Vossen CV5s like in the vid. I've never modded a car before so stupid newb question... would switching to 20" mess with the handling especially in Sport/Sport+? Not sure how you do videos on this forum but link below.

I know I sound pretty pathetic in this post. I'm really not like this but spending this much on a car I want to make sure I will love it for many years. So ya, this will be a own not a lease. Would be tempted to lease for a year if the RC350 wasn't going to be north of $50k.

Making this a poll just in case no wants to read this sad whiney wall of text.
Old 12-08-13, 05:06 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

I was in your shoes 6 months ago, with a poll as well and a couple of threads, so I'm probably the worst one to give advice here. BTW, the poll winner was U. White.

First I signed on White on Red, then switched to Black on Red, then finally, Ultrasonic Blue on Black. What made me settle on USB was the rarity and exclusivity to the F-Sport. If USB wasn't available in Canada, I would have settled on Black on Red. I personally just love the upscale high-end sinister yet sporty look it exudes. It reminds me of the GS F-Sport and higher end cars in this color combo. See below:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/8048310-post6.html

So my vote goes to Obsidian (yes, despite the higher maintenance) and also because it appears to be the less common color vs U White. (I like to blend in less)

If you're still torn which may likely be still, I learned something after seeing so many pics/colors from fellow IS members over all these months. Each one is a beauty. Think of it this way. If you had to choose the color of a swimsuit on a gorgeous shapely woman - does it really matter what color? Go in the dealer, be decisive on the color, and sign on the dotted line - and remember you're getting a beauty of a car regardless of color!
Old 12-08-13, 09:48 PM
Slust
Pole Position

Thanks, that does help! Though like you guessed, I'm still undecided.

I think you nailed it better than I could in that post you linked:
Next, the black gives off a more luxurious yet menacing look especially at the front while the white color gives off a more tuner-car look begging for mods.
I'm more inclined to buy rims for the white one but I have to also admit there is huge draw factor when I see Brute's black 350 and those gunmetal CV5s versus a black 350 with the standard rims.

Maybe it's just those pictures or maybe I just want more pictures a black F-Sport sporting the red interior but the red seats actually don't look as striking as they do with the white. They just look like they coordinate well. I don't know, maybe people just need to prove me wrong and show more pictures of Obsidian F-Sport the red interior (car doors open) ha ha hah.

Why am I being so indecisive? Glad I'm not the only one. Thanks for letting me know you were the same.

Good choice on the Ultra Sonic Blue! Real good choice.
Old 12-08-13, 10:19 PM
bruteshot2
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Slust
Thanks, that does help! Though like you guessed, I'm still undecided.

I think you nailed it better than I could in that post you linked:

I'm more inclined to buy rims for the white one but I have to also admit there is huge draw factor when I see Brute's black 350 and those gunmetal CV5s versus a black 350 with the standard rims.

Maybe it's just those pictures or maybe I just want more pictures a black F-Sport sporting the red interior but the red seats actually don't look as striking as they do with the white. They just look like they coordinate well. I don't know, maybe people just need to prove me wrong and show more pictures of Obsidian F-Sport the red interior (car doors open) ha ha hah.

Why am I being so indecisive? Glad I'm not the only one. Thanks for letting me know you were the same.

Good choice on the Ultra Sonic Blue! Real good choice.
I appreciate the compliments on my ride Slust! Thank you Well, you obviously know my vote for black vs. white. For one, there's nothing like a freshly washed/waxed black car. With a black car though, maintaining it can be a PITA but well worth it to some (including me). I don't mind keeping it spotless. I enjoy washing my ride and getting to every inch of it to clean it. I also wanted the stealthy, sinister look that comes with black cars, so that's why I went with Obsidian.

I know this probably doesn't help you after the fact that you said yes to an Ultra White 3IS, but that is my 2 cents on the matter.

Good luck in your decision. Either way you end up going, UW or Obsidian, it's a beautiful car!

Last edited by bruteshot2; 12-08-13 at 10:31 PM.
Old 12-08-13, 10:28 PM
eyeball
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You shouldn't have buyer's remorse. Your color is being touted by Lexus as "exclusive"

Welcome to the 3IS family!
Attached Thumbnails It is Black and White, right?   No, no it really isn't...-image-1287053051.jpg  
Old 12-08-13, 11:16 PM
Celsius
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by eyeball
You shouldn't have buyer's remorse. Your color is being touted by Lexus as "exclusive"

wow, didn't realize the Ultra White was "exclusive"....lol
Old 12-09-13, 12:53 AM
dstopsie
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I just love this face!!! I too was looking at the white but wen I saw the front end on the black, I just thought it was much sexier than the white.

My car still turns heads when people see it coming.
Attached Thumbnails It is Black and White, right?   No, no it really isn't...-image.jpg  
Old 12-09-13, 12:58 AM
dstopsie
Lead Lap

This was after the windows were tinted
Attached Thumbnails It is Black and White, right?   No, no it really isn't...-image.jpg  
Old 12-09-13, 05:16 PM
iPinky
Driver

Originally Posted by dstopsie
I just love this face!!! I too was looking at the white but wen I saw the front end on the black, I just thought it was much sexier than the white.

I agree about the front looking better on black. Maybe it's just me, but I think the headlights look nicer on the black.

Btw, what percentage are your tints?
Old 12-10-13, 01:40 AM
Slust
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bruteshot2
I know this probably doesn't help you after the fact that you said yes to an Ultra White 3IS, but that is my 2 cents on the matter.

Good luck in your decision. Either way you end up going, UW or Obsidian, it's a beautiful car!
Not a problem

Well the white 3IS hasn't arrived yet so nothing has been signed. Though at this point I'm leaning to it mostly because the black one would cost me an additional $2.5k'ish due to the extra options. That probably wouldn't be in my favor to negotiate since they would have to ship it in from another state. If both were on the lot and price was about the same I think I would choose black. Granted you do get more with the black but doubt I would use the Dynamic Radar Cruise Control. The Power Rear Sunshade might see some use, dunno. Not sure how useful VGRS is either. I may need to start up another topic on that since I don't see anyone ever talking about so it so I have no clue how useful it is.

But anyway ya, it is getting harder for me to justify the price increase for a color combo. Like you said, either way it is going to be sexy car. Like a hot girl, she'll look good no matter what she wears.

Originally Posted by eyeball

ha ha hah
Thanks!

Originally Posted by dstopsie

Your car is definitely mad sexy!

Originally Posted by iPinky
I agree about the front looking better on black. Maybe it's just me, but I think the headlights look nicer on the black.

When I first started considering this car I thought the grill was ugly so I thought if I got it I definitely would NOT get white because you can't hide that grill with white. It at least blends in with the Black. Especially if you black out the chrome like Bruite did. Then I saw it in person. I won't say I warmed up immediately, but now I like the grill. Part of why I like the white is that it does show off that grill more. But you're right the headlights definitely look better on the black. They look a little oddly proportioned on the white. So pros to both sides.
Old 12-10-13, 07:21 AM
iPinky
Driver

Originally Posted by Slust
When I first started considering this car I thought the grill was ugly so I thought if I got it I definitely would NOT get white because you can't hide that grill with white. It at least blends in with the Black. Especially if you black out the chrome like Bruite did. Then I saw it in person. I won't say I warmed up immediately, but now I like the grill. Part of why I like the white is that it does show off that grill more. But you're right the headlights definitely look better on the black. They look a little oddly proportioned on the white. So pros to both sides.
That's funny you say that. I also thought the grille was ugly, along with the headlights - it just didn't make sense to me. After seeing glances of it on the street, at the dealership several times, and at the LA Auto Show, it grew on me. Honestly, black was the last color I would ever go for in a million years. Yet, here I am with one. And I don't regret it one bit. It just does it for me in black, and I feel it completes the look of the car as a whole. I say, go with the one that does it for you. The one where every time you look at your car, you never think twice about whether you should've gone with the other color. Good luck with your decision!
Old 12-10-13, 04:11 PM
bbrowning1
Driver School Candidate

Default 2014 GS 350 F Sport

getting my new GS F Sport as soon as I decide on a color. Oh what a pain this has been. I go from one color to the next but have narrowed it down to: Black with Flaxen interior- Black with Cabernet interior. Ultra White with Black interior, Flaxen or Cabernet ?

Please, someone help me out here. I am looking for a luxurious look and at the same time sporty look. confused:
Old 12-10-13, 04:29 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by bbrowning1
getting my new GS F Sport as soon as I decide on a color. Oh what a pain this has been. I go from one color to the next but have narrowed it down to: Black with Flaxen interior- Black with Cabernet interior. Ultra White with Black interior, Flaxen or Cabernet ?

Please, someone help me out here. I am looking for a luxurious look and at the same time sporty look. confused:
On a GS F-Sport, gotta be Black/Cabernet.

See the beauty here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/8048310-post6.html

Btw, see the GS forum they may be able to help
Old 12-11-13, 03:10 AM
dstopsie
Lead Lap

Hi

I agree with you. Headlights look way nicer on the black and the fsport grill does too.

My tints are 20%. I live in the San Fenando Valley near Keyes Lexus. If you would like the name of my tint shop let me know. I've been going to the same place for 17 years and they do a great job and they've been in business for 30 years so let me know if you want the recommendation

I wish I had the black rims like you do I love them!!
Old 12-11-13, 03:13 AM
dstopsie
Lead Lap

That's funny you say that. I also thought the grille was ugly, along with the headlights - it just didn't make sense to me. After seeing glances of it on the street, at the dealership several times, and at the LA Auto Show, it grew on me. Honestly, black was the last color I would ever go for in a million years. Yet, here I am with one. And I don't regret it one bit. It just does it for me in black, and I feel it completes the look of the car as a whole. I say, go with the one that does it for you. The one where every time you look at your car, you never think twice about whether you should've gone with the other color. Good luck with your decision!
I agree with you hundred percent. Black was the last color I ever wanted to buy in any car. After having only black cars for like 10 years I vowed I would never ever get a black car again. But when I went to the dealer they pulled out the black with the red interior and all my hesitation about getting black again went out the window and I saw the combination. Here I am driving the black with a red interior with my 20% tinted windows and everywhere I go I see people's heads turn and then when my car is parked I find lots of guys circling my car checking it out all the time. Oh and by the way I am a woman, but I enjoy a nice looking car and if this combination is just one sexy beast!!!

Quick Reply: It is Black and White, right? No, no it really isn't...