Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Conquest Buyer and Satisfaction Poll

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-13, 06:08 AM
KumaF
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
^^^ Congrats KumaF and glad to hear you're a happy conquest buyer enjoying your 3IS. It wasn't me at Bayview Village but coincidentally, I was just a few kms west at Woodbine Mall enjoying a Christmas lunch with staff.

To reduce the idle rpms when engine is cold, abstain from using the defroster and/or HVAC for the first few mins, safety permitting. Look at the revs, you will actually see them rise by a couple hundred rpms when on.

As for the snow, this is where the fun begins! Enjoy the AWD on the snow tomorrow as they're calling for 10-15 cm. I was impressed with the traction despite the crappy Turanzas a few days ago when we got about 1 inch. It was even better than my RX F-Sport with 1 year-old Michelins since traction control kicked in far less. The VDIM is also phenomenal. Try to spin the car or slide on a turn while giving it some gas and the the car just snaps back in the direction you intend. What's even more impressive is this system is even smoother and less intrusive than on the RX with barely any sounds and pulses you would hear and feel from the ABS and other systems kicking in. It's like the car suddenly grabbed onto asphalt and got traction. Try it in a safe spot of course to get a feel of the car's capabilities and limits and enjoy your car even in the snow (isn't that why we got AWD on this car in the first place)?
Thank you. I will try and see if the vibration goes away. As for the VDIM, I will try it out some other day since today I am going out with my mother for some holiday shopping and don't want to freak her out lol.
Old 12-14-13, 07:44 AM
bp044
Driver School Candidate

Why not include the Cadillac ATS for comparison ?
Old 12-14-13, 09:48 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by bp044
Why not include the Cadillac ATS for comparison ?
Good question but since the ATS has been out for only a year, the likelihood of an ATS owner switching over to the IS would be negligible for this poll. The TSX, S40/S60, G, were also omitted since Lexus' primary target in developing this car was the 3-series (and Audi, MB) and getting its owners to move over to Lexus.
Old 12-17-13, 02:51 PM
KumaF
Driver

Update to my comments. The idle vibration is completely gone even with HVAC and windshield defroster turned on. The brakes seem to have broken in as well, the initial bite is now even stronger and the pedal feels firmer when stepped on deeply.
Old 12-17-13, 07:30 PM
Brye15
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ironic that I come across this thread just minutes after registering for the site. My IS350 is currently on a boat somewhere in the Pacific and I'll pick it up in early January. I'm coming from a BMW 335i (E90), and have owned several 3 series. Similar to what others have said, the diminished driving experience with the F30, higher prices, and mixed experience with reliability drove me to look for something else.

I started paying more attention to Lexus after driving the 2013 GS 350, and looked forward to what the 3IS would bring. Over the summer, an autocross driving event Lexus held for the launch of the IS hooked me. I walked away impressed... and giddy after winning a ride along in an LFA.

4 months is a long wait (the German ordering process is far superior), but it will be worth it since I wanted a RWD in the Northeast. Can't wait to drive it!
Old 12-18-13, 04:19 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Originally Posted by KumaF
Update to my comments. The idle vibration is completely gone even with HVAC and windshield defroster turned on. The brakes seem to have broken in as well, the initial bite is now even stronger and the pedal feels firmer when stepped on deeply.
Great on you! I never had the vibration (on the 250) but when the engine is cold, the HVAC and rear defroster increases the idle rev. Do you see this behavior on the 350?

Originally Posted by Brye15
Ironic that I come across this thread just minutes after registering for the site. My IS350 is currently on a boat somewhere in the Pacific and I'll pick it up in early January. I'm coming from a BMW 335i (E90), and have owned several 3 series. Similar to what others have said, the diminished driving experience with the F30, higher prices, and mixed experience with reliability drove me to look for something else.

I started paying more attention to Lexus after driving the 2013 GS 350, and looked forward to what the 3IS would bring. Over the summer, an autocross driving event Lexus held for the launch of the IS hooked me. I walked away impressed... and giddy after winning a ride along in an LFA.

4 months is a long wait (the German ordering process is far superior), but it will be worth it since I wanted a RWD in the Northeast. Can't wait to drive it!
You're the text book example of the conquest buyer Lexus will no doubt keep getting. Congrats on putting the pride and history aside and taking the plunge on the truly better car.
Old 12-18-13, 04:40 PM
KumaF
Driver

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Great on you! I never had the vibration (on the 250) but when the engine is cold, the HVAC and rear defroster increases the idle rev. Do you see this behavior on the 350?
I didn't pay much attention to that though. But the rev is higher ,sometimes above 1K, when idling in P or N; when I put the gear in D or R, the idle rev drops to 700ish.
Old 01-11-14, 09:59 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Reviving this thread as I've seen new 3IS owners in recent weeks having made the switch
Old 01-11-14, 11:32 AM
eyeball
Lead Lap

This is a great poll, as I've seen so many ppl in their 3series eyeing my car!
Old 01-11-14, 01:18 PM
CobraGSF
Lead Lap

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by eyeball
This is a great poll, as I've seen so many ppl in their 3series eyeing my car!
Same here in the ny area 3 series are a dime a dozen. I was a fan of them but they lost their appeal since so many people have them now. Love how my 3IS looks like nothing ok the road and people in 335's and C classes are always checking out my ride
Old 02-20-14, 06:32 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

February bump.
Old 02-20-14, 07:45 PM
scarboy693
Rookie

I switched from the 2013 F30 328i Sport Line to my 3IS F sport (3 was totaled in a crash, I didn't trade it). I liked the 328i a lot, but a few things always bugged me about it. Interior quality felt a bit lacking, styling was blah, and even at 50K I was missing certain features like premium audio or backup camera. Not to mention that my car which had the sports package DID NOT have the shift paddles, adaptive suspension, or upgraded brakes standard on the F Sport IS package.

After the car was totaled, my original plan was to get another BMW (428i) with the extra options I was missing the first time around. However I decided to check out the competition before settling on the BMW. Test Drove the ATS, Q50, 3IS, A4/S4, and C Class. To put it short, the IS ended being my favorite of all the cars and when I looked into pricing it also happened to be the lowest price with the most features which was just icing on the cake. I'm extremely Happy with my Lexus and don't miss the BMW. Its a great well rounded car and for the money, just can't beat it.
Old 02-20-14, 09:50 PM
Lost808
Pole Position

I have had 6 different BMWs, including 2 M3s. I have to say, even though the 3IS is my wife's car not mine, the interior is beautiful compared. My wife's car before this was a well kept e46 330ci fully loaded. She actually comments she loves her 3IS, but she thinks her Bimmer felt more sturdy and stable. I think a lot of it is in her mind due to the non "clunk" of the IS doors that thevBimmer had. I think the e46 cars have a more robust feel than the IS, but the luxury feel compared is awesome!
Old 08-20-14, 02:03 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Bump. Surely there are new conquest buyers at this time. What are your thoughts?
Old 08-20-14, 03:31 PM
salvadorik
Lead Lap

I wanna go back to Audi specifically I wanna get S3. 3IS's powertrain (being gas guzzler and small low end power) as well as German well built quality and styling just keep attracting me more and more everyday. Lexus is just fine but I think I got bored with this vehicle. I know the reliability might be an issue compared to Lexus but I guess leasing S3 would solve that problem.

Quick Reply: Conquest Buyer and Satisfaction Poll